1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured There Are Only Nine Commandments

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Christina1, Jan 6, 2024.

?
  1. Simply 9

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Catholic 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Protestant 10

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christina1

Christina1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I hold a rather unpopular opinion: Contained in Exodus 20:1-17 are the NINE Commandments.

That's correct my dear brothers and sisters! I disagree with both Catholics and Protestants on this one! Now let's all open our Bibles and grab a nice cup of something hot to drink as I proceed to back up this claim.

How I see it:

Verse 1: The introduction to the passage.
    1) Verses 2-6: No other gods.
    2) Verse 7: Taking name in vain forbidden.
    3) Verses 8-11: Sabbath day holy.
    4) Verse 12: Honor father and mother.
    5) Verse 13: Murder forbidden.
    6) Verse 14: Adultery forbidden.
    7) Verse 15: Theft forbidden.
    8) Verse 16: False witness forbidden.
    9) Verse 17: Coveting another's things forbidden.

There we have it. The footnote in my Bible for this passage states:

20, 1-17: the precise division of these precepts into "ten commandments" is somewhat uncertain. Traditionally among Catholics vv 1-6 are considered as only one commandment, and v 17 as two.

So, the Catholic Church starts off pretty much exactly as I do in the beginning. But then things get a little weird. They take verse 17 and split it into two separate commandments. Hm...
    ???

The Protestant community, on the other hand, does something equally mystifying. They separate verse 3 from 2-6 and make TWO separate commandments about having no other gods. Hm...
    ???

Conclusion:

There are only nine commandments. It is what it is.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't forget the Hebrew religion (as the "Ten Commandments" are in the OT).

The Jews held that those were Ten utterances - a summary of the Law which was then explained in 613 commandments that followed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christina,

Using your method, shouldn't this be 8 commandments (coveting covers theft just as having no other gods covers idols)?

4. Christina1

Christina1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The idea is just to read them straight through and to number them. I'm not trying to reduce, simplify, or summarize them. Jesus already did that when he said that the greatest commandment is to love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul, and mind and to love our neighbors as we love ourselves.
    You have a good point, though. Theft is a form of coveting. If it was contained in the same paragraph like verse 17 or verses 2-6 then maybe I would be arguing for eight. But as it's written, you would have to jump around the passage to combine theft with coveting. I just want to read the passage straight through and get ten commandments instead of nine.

I agree with the Catholics that 2-6 is only one commandment. I agree with the Protestants that verse 17 is only one commandment. But now there's no way for me to get to ten. There are only nine.

Maybe there's something about the ten utterances that was lost in translation.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that numbering them is an "us" thing. The greatest are not even numbered among the "Ten".

I tend to view the Commandments as the Hebrews took them - a summary of the commandments that followed given as a covenant to Israel.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Christina1

Christina1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Looking at them as a summary of the 613 is probably the wisest approach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Christina1

Christina1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Music plays and the curtains are opened...

Presenting...

The Eleven Commandments:

1. Verse 3
    2. Verses 4-6
    3. Verse 7
    4. Verses 8-11
    5. Verse 12
    6. Verse 13
    7. Verse 14
    8. Verse 15
    9. Verse 16
    10. Verse 17, sentence 1
    11. Verse 17, sentence 2

:Cool

8. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 4th is not repeated in the New Testament (Sabbath).

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If anyone is interested in what the Bible says about how many commandments that God gave to Moses - it's 10.

EXODUS 34:28 = "And he was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments."

I cited the KIng James, but I checked quite a few versions. They all say that there are TEN commandments.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Christina1

Christina1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How do you get to ten? Do you subscribe to two separate commandments about no other gods (the verse 3 theory) or do you subscribe to two separate commandments about not coveting (the verse 17 theory)?

Even in the face of incontrovertible scriptural support for "ten", when I count numerically every single commandment, all nine of them are for sure definitely there, but I'm still having GPS problems with #10. It's gone rogue!

1 Then God spoke all these words:

(1)
    2 I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. 3 You shall not have other gods beside me. 4 You shall not make for yourself an idol or a likeness of anything in the heavens above or on the earth below or in the waters beneath the earth; 5 you shall not bow down before them or serve them. For I, the Lord, your God, am a jealous God, inflicting punishment for their ancestors’ wickedness on the children of those who hate me, down to the third and fourth generation; 6 but showing love down to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.

(2)
    7 You shall not invoke the name of the Lord, your God, in vain. For the Lord will not leave unpunished anyone who invokes his name in vain.

(3)
    8 Remember the sabbath day—keep it holy. 9 Six days you may labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath of the Lord your God. You shall not do any work, either you, your son or your daughter, your male or female slave, your work animal, or the resident alien within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them; but on the seventh day he rested. That is why the Lord has blessed the sabbath day and made it holy.

(4)
    12 Honor your father and your mother, that you may have a long life in the land the Lord your God is giving you.

(5)
    13 You shall not kill.

(6)
    14 You shall not commit adultery.

(7)
    15 You shall not steal.

(8)
    16 You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

(9)
    17 You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, his male or female slave, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.

Bible Gateway passage: Exodus 20 - New American Bible (Revised Edition)

11. Christina1

Christina1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    They updated the footnote in the revised edition. I have the earlier one.

1. –17
      The precise numbering and division of these precepts into “ten commandments” is somewhat uncertain. Traditionally among Catholics and Lutherans vv. 1–6 are considered as only one commandment, and v. 17 as two. The Anglican, Greek Orthodox, and Reformed churches count vv. 1–6 as two, and v. 17 as one. Cf. Dt 5:6–21. The traditional designation as “ten” is not found here but in 34:28 (and also Dt 4:13 and 10:4), where these precepts are alluded to literally as “the ten words.” That they were originally written on two tablets appears in Ex 32:15–16; 34:28–29; Dt 4:13; 10:2–4.

The present form of the commands is a product of a long development, as is clear from the fact that the individual precepts vary considerably in length and from the slightly different formulation of Dt 5:6–21 (see especially vv. 12–15 and 21). Indeed they represent a mature formulation of a traditional morality. Why this specific selection of commands should be set apart is not entirely clear. None of them is unique in the Old Testament and all of the laws which follow are also from God and equally binding on the Israelites. Even so, this collection represents a privileged expression of God’s moral demands on Israel and is here set apart from the others as a direct, unmediated communication of God to the Israelites and the basis of the covenant being concluded on Sinai.

12. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The sabbath was for Israel. It isn’t repeated in the New Testament.

13. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Commandment #1 is about WHOM TO worship. Commandment #2 is about HOW NOT to worship. Two separate commandments - although related. But then again, they are all related.

[1] "You shall not have any gods before Me." - This is about whom to worship. It does not require a graven image to violate this command. It does not require an idol. All it requires is a wicked heart. A person can be in bondage to the god of drunkenness or bitterness or hatred or lust without a physical idol.

[2] "You shall not make any carved image — any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them." - This is about staying away from false worship." - People around the world use hanging photos of their political leaders as idols, little statues of Bhuddas as idols, totem poles, selfies, cell phone, material/celebrity status, and a whole lot more as physical and tangible idols.

Two intrinsically different commands.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Christina1

Christina1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is an EXCELLENT explanation! I love it! It makes so much sense to look at it that way. I might have to rethink my position. Lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. timtofly

timtofly Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 4th commandment is: Thou shalt labor for 6 days.

"Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:"

If Remembering something is a command then we all would be guilty. Besides, God said to Remember the Sabbath in this verse: Genesis 2:1. Exodus 20 does not say to remember every Saturday each week. It was the next verse that stipulates the day of week, that was abrogated to the first day after the Cross.

"But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates."

After the Cross, we give God, the first day of the week, not our last day. Besides, the day to Remember was God's original Sabbath, the day of rest. Not just a 7th day of the week. Sabbath does not mean 7. It means rest. We cannot keep a day of the week holy. We need to keep that Lord's Day in Genesis 2 holy and Remember that Sabbath.

God then explained it to us:

"For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it."

To think they were supposed to hallow every 7th day is missing the whole point. They were not supposed to Remember a day of the week. They were supposed to Remember the rest God took after 6 days of creation. They remember that day by also not doing any work.

But many miss the actual commandment. Six days shalt thou labor. That is the commandment given as the 4th Commandment. In modern times we have shortened that to 5 days. Even though some try to work all 7 days.

If the 3rd Commandment was to Remember, then even Israel got it wrong. Evidently no one likes to be told to work.

16. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The LORD gave them 10 and said so.

Exodus 34:28, ". . . And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments. . . ."

Deuteronomy 4:13, ". . . And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone. . . ."

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Jews have ten words [comments].

The Catholic Church dropped the first commandment. Being who God is.
    Changing the second commandment to be the first.
    And made the tenth into two to be nine and ten.

The Protestants split the second into two. Restoring the tenth commandment.

18. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The first commandment.

Exodus 20:2, "I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage."

Deuteronomy 5:6, "I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage."

The original 10 commandments.

#18 37818, Jan 9, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  20. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith: