1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

There are Some Who Believe That a Sinner Does Nothing to be Saved

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Saved-By-Grace, Mar 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saved-By-Grace

Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But, the Holy Bible, the Infallible Word of Almighty God, disagrees.

"Come now, and let us REASON together, saith Jehovah: though your SINS be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool. If ye be WILLING and OBDEIENT, ye shall eat the good of the land: but if ye REFUSE and REBEL, ye shall be devoured with the sword; for the mouth of Jehovah hath spoken it." (Isaiah 1:18-20)

These same folk wrongly say that sinners do not have a FREE WILL, to CHOOSE or REJECT. And yet here we have the Word of God, that says they are plainly WRONG.

"And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the LORD, CHOOSE this day whom you will SERVE, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.” (Joshua 24:15)

"YOU SEARCH the scriptures, because ye think that in them ye have eternal life; and these are they which bear witness of me; and YOU ARE UNWILLING TO COME to me, that ye MAY HAVE LIFE. (John 5:39-40)

The Greek of this last passage, does not allow for, "you cannot will to come", as though some outside force were preventing it. But, "you are not WILLING to come", as in of themselves.

"And Paul and Barnabas spake out boldly, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first be spoken to you. Seeing YOU REJECT IT, and CONSIDER YOURSELVES UNWORTHY of eternal life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles." (Acts 13:46)

These Jews of themselves REJECTED the Gospel Message, and thereby deemed THEMSELVES not worthy of eternal life. NOT that God so considered them, as He is not willing that these precious souls are lost forever, but that they REPENT.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, I'm posting again in Baptist forums now that I am going to a baptist church on Sundays.

I must point out that what you talk of is already addressed by doctrine, just not in the way you frame it.

There are plenty of people who claim to be Christian and perhaps may even go to church that will be rejected at the Judgment by Jesus and cast into hell. There seems no way around that given the many warnings against what many call "false Christians" or "counterfeit Christians." There are such people, evangelicals admit that. It is a downplayed doctrine though in the American Church and shouldn't be at all.

Even more downplayed in the American Church is a doctrine that we are called to confirm our salvation by our works. This is not works saves us or any such thing, but a call to persevere and do the right thing. A call to a people who must discern if they have circumcised hearts or not (2 Peter 1:3-11, 1 Thessalonians 1:4-10).

I mean how can someone circumcised in heart act like one who never had their heart circumcised? How is God able to make us stand at the Day, and not be able to (Jude 1:24 among others)?

I harp a lot on 2 Peter 1, but John MacArthur does a great job explaining the doctrine through 1 Thessalonians 1:

Identifying the Elect, Part 3

The scripture Cross References and Treasury of Scripture on the right of the following page are also very helpful:

2 Peter 1:10 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble,

I will say one last thing: Now I do not want to be a hypocrite, I will admit that I have been divisive on this board and factional at times, I must work harder on understanding and resisting those temptations. That said, the way this post worked by challenging everyone on the BB seems divisive and factional in and of itself, I say in a gentle way and not as a harsh accusation. I know this method of posting from having done that very same thing before on the BB, which I sorely regret.

3. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello Steve, I don't understand what you mean by, "I must point out that what you talk of is already addressed by doctrine, just not in the way you frame it."? What I have said in the OP is what the Bible very clearly says, and not my own. It is Biblical Truth.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This seems to be a duplicate thread, so I am duplicating my reply :)

SBG, your problem is that you don't understand Calvinism or Salvation by Grace through Faith. Neither of these great truths deny CHOOSING.

The fact is that both faith (Ephesians 2:8-9) and repentance (Acts 5:31; 11:18) are gifts of God. The fact is that the unsaved CHOOSE to reject Christ, not because God prevents them from believing but because their wicked unbelieving hearts (John 3:19; 1 Corinthians 2:14) lead them to REFUSE and REBEL. God must first do a work of prevenient grace in their hearts (John 6:44; Acts 16:14) before they will CHOOSE to repent and trust in Christ. Whoever wills may come to Christ (Revelation 22:17), but when He comes he will find that God has loved him from eternity past and has drawn him to Christ and to salvation with covenant mercies (Jeremiah 31:3).

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was it unnecessary for Jesus to come as a Savior?
    From these OT quotes, you almost make it sound like we can just obey the LAW and be saved. I thought the lesson of the Old Testament was that nobody could do what God required, so we need a Savior. A sinless man to do what we cannot.

• Like Like x 1
  6. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is where Calvinism talks about (T) Total Inability [nobody chooses God ... see Romans 3:10-12] and (I) Irresistable Grace [God chooses some to save by grace ... see Ephesians 2:1-10]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that you have misunderstood what I am saying. The complete Bible, from Genesis to Revelation, has the same theme for the lost sinner, that salvation is only possible by true repentance and faith. The same God demanded this in the OT and then continues to do so in the NT. Some have watered down repentance to the extent, that a sinner need not repent to get saved, and after they are saved, and even though they will sin daily, they don't require to get right with God daily. This is so very wrong and not Bible.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    atpallard, how good do you have to be to save yourself, are you good enough?

9. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Total Unability is nothing more than a "red herring", and has no basis whatsoever in the Bible. Chapter 5 of John's Gospel clearly shows this to be wrong. Jesus is speaking to the Jews who wanted to kill Him (verses 16-19), and He tells these same Jews (ver. 19), "So Jesus said to them...Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life" (ver.24). Jesus tells these Jews, and those others who were listening to Him, "whoever [of YOU] hears my word and believes", etc. Which shows that they must have had the ABILITY to "hear and believe", and respond.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

11. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saved-By-Grace, it's total inability.

Rom 9:15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
    Rom 9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The problem is that they are unwilling and unable to repent.

1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

ALL humans are born unwilling and are under the spirit of the air. (Satan)

Not all humans get quickened.

Eph 2:1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
    Eph 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
    Eph 2:3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    This argument always confused me a little. I mean, I learned to read the Bible at a Church of God so I know all about the verses where God wills men to repent. The issue I have is with the mental image of a God who invites people to pretty please accept the perfect love of an omnipotent God to forgive them, and then sits there wringing his hands waiting to see who will exercise their free will to accept and survive. Which one, God or the sinner really has the power over their salvation?

Calvinism presents a people who all give God the middle finger at his offer of perfect love and set their own terms for how things are going to work. So an Omni-everything God chooses to love some before the foundation of the Earth and does WHATEVER IT TAKES to justify, sanctify and glorify the children he loves. As a former criminal and atheist, that is something that just resonates closer to my salvation experience. I didn’t seek God, God snatched me off the street.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Robert, I think you are allowing your theology get the better of you! If you can read and understand NT Greek, take a look at John 5:39-40, where Jesus tells them that they were "UNWILLING", and NOT, as Calvinism would have us understand it, "UNABLE", which the Greek does NOT allow for. In verse 34 Jesus tells these same Jews who wanted to murder Him, "but I say these things so that you may be saved". Do you see the heart of the great Love of the Saviour here? He desired that they would be "saved", but the "MIGHT" in this says that it is UP TO THEM to HEAR and BELIEVE. This, my friend, is the Word of God, not some fancy theology!

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, I'll stick with scripture, ALL humans are unwilling.If the natural man considers the gospel to be foolishness then why would he choose it?

Eph 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
    Eph 2:3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

Here in the following verses Jesus is simply stating that they not come to Him.

Joh 5:38 And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not.
    Joh 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
    Joh 5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

#17 Robert William, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you not read Ezekiel chapters 18 and 33, for example, where this same God desires that the worst sinner in the world NOT die, as He does not take any pleasure in this, but rather that they repent and be saved. Hence, "God so LOVES the human race", as John 3:16 says. I really don't understand the fierce opposition by Reformed and Calvinists to God's wonderful plan of salvation for each and every human being that He has ever created. They remind me of Jonah, who was angry with God for wanting to save the worst sinners of his time! Jonah was the original "Calvinist"!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think it's more correct to say the sinner can't do anything to be saved. Even his faith has to be reckoned by God, and God is not obligated to do this. He reckons the faith of the ungodly by his own sovereign choice (Romans 4:5).

So technically the sinner has to believe, but that belief, in and of itself, is not efficacious. It's all God's choice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    whatever!. You show the typical blindness of the Reformed bunch, who just stick with a bunch of misquoted Bible verses to cling on to their unbiblical nonsense! At least John Calvin was able to accept Universal Redemption, unlike some who use his name!

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.