1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

This is a bit too far

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Salty, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

How is it secular? This appears a bit disingenuous.

3. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

The world really has a problem with prayer don't they? How would bowing during prayer cause any problems? I'm surprised that prayer is even allowed.

4. North Carolina Tentmaker

How is it secular? How about as a simple act of respect. I can bow my head to an oriental friend or even kneel by child I am talking to without it having anything to do with prayer.

His statement may be a bit disingenuous but the real profanity here is that this coach is being prevented from freely exercising his religious beliefs. The law in this question is a clear violation of the 1st amendment. If he were a Jewish man and wore a Yarmulke during the game would they let him? If he were Muslim and his wife wore a Hijab would they let her? There is no difference here, they are trying to limit the coaches ability to exercise his religion.

Why is it those who want to demand our tolerance of their religion/lifestyle/appearance/language/you name it continue to in intolerant of ours?

Our school still has prayer at all events. And yes it is a public school and I thank God for it. I am sure its just a matter of time.

5. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Yes, unfortunately, the Against Civil Liberties (yours and mine..... as 'they' choose to define them) Union has already pounced on the schools in my county: The school board lost and is having to rewrite their policies. That's a sad fact for the majority of students and their families in this area. However, the students themselves...... praise the LORD....... are now clinging together as a group of Bible believers to organize and promote with the volunteering of churches and/or other places large enough to hold an assembly.....their own baccalareate services ------free from any administration by the school board. As to whether the teachers or the school board will be invited or not..... or have any recognition or not..... it is all totally up to the student organizers ...... as also is attendance and participation by the graduating students a gesture of opportunity instead of a required assembly.

Please pray for these Christian students in my county which are boldly taking a stand for what they believe in, and pray that God will open opportunities to all of us to find gloirfying ways and opportunities to acknowledge him as we find increasing restrictions placed upon our espressions. There may come a time when such expression, even if exercised and supported within the community, becomes defined as 'disorderly conduct' in which case..... we just might have to be willing to dare the consequences of 'civil disobediance' if charged!

Already, I'm formulating a plan of quietly and out loud, after any initial opening which regards the flag or our national anthem...... to follow with the audible saying of the "Lord's prayer" in hopes that those within hearing and agreement of faith will also join in the repetition. An 'arrest' for such 'bad behavior' and 'inciting' others to follow, when such is so brief to be endured by others who may be offended by less than 30 seconds...... would be an honor for me to have recognized my God as suppreme in authority!

6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Perfect! See, we don't have to have the public dollar supporting our religious services. We can hold them in our own assemblies without government sponsorship, as it should be. Congratulations to the folks in your community!