1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

This Is How You Do Apologetics (Presuppositional Apologetics) - Dr. Greg Bahnsen

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by thatbrian, Jan 1, 2018.

1. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

• Like Like x 1
  2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I started listening to your video and couldn't get into it... So I just googled it... To find out what it is, in a nutshell, and why I never heard of it... As they say to each his own and this does not appeal to me at all... But I did find out what it is and maybe others will show up to discuss it... Not my cup of tea!... Brother Glen:)

Question: "What is presuppositional apologetics?"

Answer:
    Presuppositional apologetics is an approach to apologetics which aims to present a rational basis for the Christian faith and defend it against objections by exposing the logical flaws of other worldviews and hence demonstrating that biblical theism is the only worldview which can make consistent sense of reality.

Presuppositional apologetics does not discount the use of evidence, but such evidences are not used in the traditional manner—that is, an appeal to the authority of the unbeliever’s autonomous reason. Presuppositional apologetics holds that without a theistic worldview there is no consistent basis upon which to assume the possibility of autonomous reason. When the materialist attempts to refute Christianity by appeal to deductive reason, he is, in fact, borrowing from the Christian worldview, hence being inconsistent with his stated presuppositions.

The presuppositional approach to apologetics calls for the Christian and non-Christian to engage in an internal examination of their respective worldview and thus determine whether or not they are internally consistent. The essence of presuppositional apologetics is an attempt to demonstrate that the non-Christian’s worldview forces him to a state of subjectivity, irrationalism, and moral anarchy.

Since the unbeliever’s worldview is objectively false, it of necessity contains demonstrable contradictions (e.g., he makes moral judgments, but he cannot account for moral absolutes without the theistic worldview). The believer, within the Christian framework, can account for things like rationality, logic, uniformity of nature, morality, science, etc., because the Christian worldview conforms to a transcendent reality.

In summary, the presuppositional apologist engages in an internal critique of a given worldview in order to demonstrate that it is arbitrary, inconsistent within itself, and lacks the preconditions for epistemology. The presuppositional apologist can thus take a given value which is held by the unbeliever and demonstrate to him that if his own worldview were true, that very belief would be incoherent and/or meaningless. Presuppositional apologetics seeks to prove Christianity with reference to the impossibility of the contrary. In other words, unless the Christian worldview is presupposed—whether at a conscious or subconscious level—there is no possibility for proving anything.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry that you didn't enjoy it. I ate it up! That's a master's or PhD level course, so it is a bit deep but well worth the time as it is so helpful. I'm surprised you didn't know what presuppositional apologetics was.

I'll admit that audio without video makes i a bit boring.

#3 thatbrian, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  4. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's probably why I didn't enjoy it... That to me is theological brainiac food... But I do read Gill and a few other theological giants and preachers and I thought you might enjoy this little ditty I heard a preacher tell... Three men were gathered around discussing the accomplishment of their sons... The first man boasted My Son: Has a Bachelors Degree from Yale... The second man not to be out done by the first boasted well My Son: Has a Masters Degree from Harvard... The third man just smiled and said that is nothing, My Son has a PhD!... Wow the other men said, A PhD!... Yeah the third man boasted, it came with a JOB... He's a Post Hole Digger... I've been in the church along time since the age of seven, and I'm now seventy-one, still holding on to my PhD:Biggrin... Brother Glen:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regardless of ones worldview, there are self evident truths and facts God has laid there to be seen, as the problem is not lack of knowledge, but being a sinner!

7. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. It's never an issue of too little information. Romans 1 has that covered. It's always an issue of the will. They will not come to God because they will not submit to Him.

Presuppositional apologetics starts with the premise that God exists and does not allow the unbeliever to start with their, dishonest presupposition that He does not.

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those would be self evident truth of the creation of God!

• Agree Agree x 1