1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thompson Chain

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by ~JM~, Nov 12, 2007.

1. ~JM~

~JM~ Member

I just ordered one last week and I'm waiting for it to come in...anyone else use it?

2. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

I have two. One regular size NKJV and one handy size NIV.

I really like this system, it is so nice to follow a topic to learn what the Bible teaches on a subject.

I like the way it helps you to find the verses you are looking for.

The chains subjects in the margins is a very nice short commentary on the chapter you are studying.

And, there are a lot of other helps.

I find that I do not use the Naves topical Bible so much since I get mostly the same info in a better way in the thompson.

So. I use it a lot. For the moment I use the Scofield more, but I can not think of not having a Thompson at home. I even have the handy size thompson in a bible cover eith me when traveling.

It may take some time to get used to the chain reference system, but it is worth taking the time. Play with it for at time and it will be a trusted friend for serious study.

What it does not help with is the original languages,

3. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

As above I use the Thompson often and I am happy with it, but i think I shuld also list a few bad things.

1. It is bulky. There is so much infortmation so the Bible get quit heavy.

2. The best thing with the Thompson is that there is no notes. There are also little explanation and direction in theological issues, the principle is to let the Bible guide by itself. Some will sometimes like to get directions, like in the Ryrie Study Bible.

3. It might not be availale in you favorite translation.

So, if you can handle a bulky Bible, is prepared to let the Bible guide you in theological issues and like the KJV, NKJV, NIV or NASB 77 there is little reason not to be happy with a Thompson.

I also use a Scofield in HCSB.

I use the Thompson together with the Bible Knowledge commentary.

#3 Psalm 95, Nov 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2007
  4. ~JM~

~JM~ Member

I've noticed it is big...but if my wife can carry the Life Application Bible to Church every Sunday I hope I can carry the TCR!

:laugh:

If you could remove something from the TCR, what would it be?

Thanks.

j

5. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

There is not really anything I would like to remove, I like that it is so complete including archological info. Sometimes I think of what a slim TCR New Testament would be like.

6. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

Has your new Bible arrived yet?

7. North Carolina Tentmaker

I have one in large print that I love, but it is bulky. My wife has one that is smaller print. It is easier to carry with you but the print is small which is becoming more and more of a problem.

8. steveo

steveo New Member

I also have the Thompson chain in the king james version and love it.
    For sermons and study it is the best bible I have for doing searches.
    The concordance and topical system is exhaustive.
    I have many other bibles and use them all at one time or another but none have the size of concordance and when I am looking for a certain word and want to know where the verses are for that word, Thompson by far is the best.
    There are no notes like the Ryrie, Macarthur, Scofield, Kjv study, etc.. but that can be good because sometimes I look at the notes instead of looking to God, but I do use the others when I cant understand a text or to help add some meat to my understanding.
    There are advantage to all so thats why I have so many and I use them as small commentaries.
    I also have a large print bible I love but the concordance lacks.
    I was talking to a church member after my sermon last week and they asked me a question on a certain subject and I couldn't remember the verse off the top of my head, so I looked in the small concordance and guess what, couldn't find it. I was wishing I had the Old Thompson ;)

9. ~JM~

~JM~ Member

In my search for a new Bible I finally decided on the Thompson Chain Reference Bible. I didn’t want commentary surrounding the text, just solid references, something to aid my study not provide an opinion. This lead me to the Thompson Chain [TCB] Bible. After reading the reviews on Amazon I was very leery about buying one. The reviews about the construction of the new TCB seemed to contradict each other. Most said it was very cheap and fell apart, others said it was a very good quality Bible, so I asked around and found out that Thomas Nelson is also producing this Bible, not just the original publisher [Kirkbirde]. It seems the Thomas Nelson version is the one that received the bad reviews so I ordered the following Bible.

· Genuine Leather with Levant Grain: 1923 pages
    · Publisher: Kirkbride (January 1988)
    · ISBN-10: 0887071082
    · ISBN-13: 978-0887071089
    · Product Dimensions: 25.9 x 19.8 x 4.6 cm

I was pretty happy with what I read and seen of it online, so when I opened the box when it arrived I was let down in a BIG way. It’s supposed to be leather but the cover was thinner then the cardboard giveaway Bibles we have at our church. When I opened it I thought the cover would eventually crack or break off. I took a quick look through it and seen that it was Smyth sewn instead of glued which is a plus. Working in a library for 15 years you come to respect the Smyth sewn binding over the cheaper glued versions. I didn’t give up hope, the content of the Bible was seemed good at a glance, the references seemed to be what I was looking for so I got back online and contacted Kirkbride directly.

After a few days they did respond giving me a list of ISBN numbers to choose from and I became interested in what they call “Deluxe Kirvella.” It’s a man made polyurethane cover. My wife uses the Life Application Bible made of the same stuff so I had something to compare it to, it’s extremely soft and supple in the hand, it feels better then many of the genuine leathers on the market today.

· Kirvella bound: 1923 pages
    · Publisher: Kirkbride Bible Company (September 2006)
    · Language: English
    · ISBN-10: 0887075525
    · ISBN-13: 978-0887075520
    · Product Dimensions: 9.8 x 7.1 x 2 inches

The pages are nice and white similar to the pages used by Oxford, the text is easy to read and the names are self-pronouncing which comes in handy if you read out loud. The ribbon place marker is nice and thick, a little long, but if it frays you can trim it. It comes with a mini library added to the back and I really don’t think it’s needed. It would be lighter if much of it was removed, here’s a complete list of “helps” it came from.

Alphabetical Topical Index
    Numerical Topical Index
    • Outline Studies of the Bible
    • Historical Bridge between Old and New Testaments
    • Origin and Growth of the English Bible
    • Condensed Bible Book Outlines
    • Detailed Bible Book Outlines
    • Character Studies
    • Outline History of the Apostles
    • Portraits of Christ
    • Prophecies concerning Christ and their fulfilment
    Journey Maps
    • Harmony of the Gospels
    • The Seven Churches of Asia
    • Golden Chapters of the Bible
    • Topical Treasury / Helps for Christian Workers
    • Key memory verses from each Bible Book
    • Differences in Religious places mentioned in the Bible
    • Archaeological Supplement
    Hebrew Calendar
    Concordance
    14 Full-color maps

If I could, I would remove everything that hasn’t been placed in bold. They all contain the opinions of the authors including Arminianism and the modern witchcraft of textual criticism. The Bible itself will service its purpose well enough. It contains thousands of chain references, it’s a good quality Bible and should last for a while. I hope to study it to shreds.

Thanks folks.

jm

10. steveo

steveo New Member

Congrats on your new bible!
    I hope you do wear the pages out ;)
    Yes, it does have some downsides but all the ones I have used have strengths and weaknesses. If it has the main things you want in a bible, your doing good. What humbles me is thinking there are people in some countries that would love to even have one bible of any kind and here I have one in every room of the house.