1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Those who hate the King James Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by stilllearning, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah,celebrate like it's 1611.

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Broughton may well have been one of the people the translators had in mind in the second case, but he wasn't against a modern version; he himself had laid out a plan in 1593 for himself and five other scholars to further revise the Geneva Bible; nothing came of it, probably a combination of his prickly personality and church politics. He did produce translations of several Old Testament books on his own.

His objections to the KJB were numerous, and often very technical, often on matters of transliteration and chronology; the quote above was contained in a letter he addressed to James in hopes that the new translation might still be salvaged. He also (Puritan that he was) railed against inclusion of the Apocrypha:

- Quoted in David Norton's "A History of the Bible as Literature: From Antiquity to 1700

3. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Thanks, Jerome! That worked. But....talk about confusion!!

The 2004 poll had just one question: "Do you love the KJV?" Yet USN2Pulpit's post (post 2 on that thread) said:
    Question (2) was hard to answer.
    TC said in post 22:
    Question 2 should have had an all major KJV editions choice as I have all (1611 1762/1769 1873) of them.
    Ed Edwards (who compiled the poll) said in post 9:
    So some "no" votes to question #1 could be "no" botes [sic] to the title.
    In fact, his post 9 shows more of the confusion surrounding the poll:
    The title of the poll and the first question are exactly opposite each other. So some "no" votes to question #1 could be "no" botes to the title :confused:
    No one in the thread following the poll said that they hated the KJV, so I cannot see how your quoting the poll on this thread is a real answer to Scarlet O's statement in post 3:
    Your assumption that people here hate the King James Bible is offensive.

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who said I was answering Scarlett? I appreciate Scarlett's saying that she loves the KJB. It's those who cannot find any way in which they can say they love the KJB that is troubling.

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I love Jesus first, and whatever Bible He happens to be using to speak to me at the moment secondly.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could you say the same regarding the NIV? "It's those who cannot find any way in which they can say they love the NIV that is troubling."

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I once had a deaf pastor who is KJVO tell me how he LOVED the KJV, then go on to sayhow much he appreciated the NIV because it helped him grow as a new Christian, but he refused to recommend it's usage to his church members.

Ironic, at best- and hypocritical at worst.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Wow - it helped him to grow but he refused to recommend it? So maybe he was preventing his congregation to grow!

Mex - As a deaf person, is the KJV difficult to understand? I know in e-mailing and Facebooking those who have been deaf from birth and ASL is their first language, the language is VERY different from English. For example, here's one status from a deaf girl "honest w u fbers... I DONT LIKE CURSE!!! Bec it can hurt same God r hurt when im mad n curse 2 dumb [people] who disrespect... Some my family who didnt do anything but tired of cleanin up everyday n I sometime not clean up outside da yard dat kids, my brother, animals, ppls n other friends throwin there, there n there? Nobody listen? >;-/ rmr God said keep the EARTH CLEAN! (low grr)" So the question is: Is the King James very difficult for the deaf to understand?

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Simple answer: yes!

Not so simple answer: it really depends upon the deaf person. I don't have a problem with it, but I wasn't BORN deaf, and my English vocabulary is quite broad due to my being a bookworm. However, my wife was born deaf and she struggles with it. It's not the fault of the deaf nor is it a lack of being filled with the Spirit- both of which I have heard used as reasons for the deaf not understanding the KJV.

Your deaf friend actually writes very understandably- let me share one conversation between me and a deaf friend of mine: (word for word and with grammatical, punctuation and spelling errors)

Friend: Hey oh okay tell me my.mom ur mom in hospital from belmond,iowa

Me: Ur grandmother in hospital? Edit: I made an educated guess!

Friend: Yes..i know better ur grandma.

This fella had tried for years to understand the KJV and NIV. We decided to give all of our deaf members the NIrV for their own use, and my friend (as well as several others) TOOK OFF with it! He is now reading the Bible through and asking me questions.

Give a saved man a Bible written in his own language and he will grow!

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

LOL - Yeah, I have to sit and read the deaf's writing a few times to try to get it. Honestly, I would have thought that your friend was asking me to tell my mom that his mom was in the hospital. :)

But thank you for the clarification. I know that our deaf use the NIrV or another version - I can't remember the name of it but it's almost more in ASL than English. I read it once and was fascinated by it but now knowing some ASL, I see just why it's written like it is.

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

They might be using the EVD- English Version for the Deaf.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

that's it!! Lol

13. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm still waiting on the names of the BBers who hate the KJV.

So... if I say I'm not KJVO (which I'm not), then does that mean that I hate the KJV? That logic is absolutely ridiculous.

14. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

I totally agree.

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

So far the only guy we have evidenced to hate the KJV died nearly 400 years ago. How does the OP apply to today?

16. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Because there are still....“Popish Persons and Self-conceited Brethren”, with us today!

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Unfortunately, there are but I don't believe we are thinking of the same.

18. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Who is he? Maybe I know him or not.

19. Askjo

Askjo New Member

The KJV is difficult for the deaf to understand? Not always. My hearing friend who is a pastor at my former church has advance degrees from a Bible seminary. He admitted that he struggled to understand the Bible. Both hearing and deaf people have a hard time to understand the Bible -- Any Bible versions, not only KJV.

Most deaf people used ASL and PSE, but they hate deaf using the SEE. .

20. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

Can someone spell out the acronyms ASL, PSE, and SEE?

...Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.