1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thought On Church Growth

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by gb93433, Jan 17, 2005.

1. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

Clarification: Don't miss the placement of the comma and misread the opening sentence of my previous post. I have not been a Landmark Baptist in almost 14 years.

2. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

Please explain.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

Please explain. </font>[/QUOTE]Acts 2

4. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

Acts 2, what?

5. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

From personal experience.
    Our pastor said he would not add on to the sanctuary until there was standing room only on the WEDNESDAY NIGHT service.
    Why? You wonder?
    It is said, (acurately, IMO) that the popularity of the church is seen in Sun. Morn. attendance, the popularity of the preacher on Sun. Night, and the popularity of Jesus on Wed. Night.
    We just recently broke ground for a New Building which will hold 2000.
    BTW, that doubles our capacity for WED. night services.

IMO, if the numbers growth is reflected in salvations and disciples, then that will show up in the mid-week service. If you need to build for THAT crowd, then do it.

Just my experience. I think it is a valid barometer of proper growth.

In HIS service;
    Jim

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Acts 2, what? </font>[/QUOTE]It's a short chapter,, read it.

7. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

Acts 2, what? </font>[/QUOTE]It's a short chapter,, read it. </font>[/QUOTE]What, 3000 in a single a day? Is that your point?

8. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Acts 2, what? </font>[/QUOTE]It's a short chapter,, read it. </font>[/QUOTE]What, 3000 in a single a day? Is that your point? </font>[/QUOTE]__________________________________________________

agreed. That was a fairly vague reference. Could be the "mighty rushing wind"! LOL

Could be the prophet Joel? LOL

Could be every nation under heaven? LOL

What? WHAT? Inquiring minds want to know!

In HIS service;
    Jim

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'll take whoever God gives to disciple. But none of them will I ever be content to let sit and soak. If they are new Christians they will be a mile wide and inch deep for a few months then in about two to three years they will be a mile wide and a mile deep reaching non-believers who have no depth.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is a gimmick.I have seldom ever been to a Wed. night service. Yet for years I have met with several during the week discipling them. I once pastored a church that was seriously dying (almost extinct). They were programmed to die. For two years I met with those people teaching them how to study the Bible and lead others. Also teaching them how to share their faith and disciple others. What I did was to close down almost every program during the week and have them get to know their neighbors and start outreach as God provided. The prayer meetings on Sunday were very different than what I had ever experienced before. By the end of one year every adult in the church had started at least one form of outreach in the community such as a Bible study or other forms of outreach. Personally I knocked on 75-200 doors each month. During that time others began to go with me to see how it was done. The field is the trining ground not the church building. Jesus never trained his disciples in a building. He explained and taught about ministry but sent them out to do ministry.

11. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] You mean it never occurred to you to do a scientific survey to see what the unsaved in your area wanted in a church, and then just give it to them? [​IMG]

12. 2Timothy4:1-5

2Timothy4:1-5 New Member

Well then, I guess Jesus isn't a very popular fellow at our church seeing that we don't even have a Wednesday night service. Come to think of it, we don't have a Sunday evening service either; poor preacher must feel unloved.

What we do have midweek, however, are small group meetings where about 8 to 12 people get together for fellowship and prayer and bible studies. In the 10 months since our church started small groups, we have had some significant spiritual growth; and we have even added a few people to the church as a direct result of people coming to Christ through the groups; people who would never have thought of darkening the door of a church, but felt "comfortable" in a smaller group setting.

Kenneth

13. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

It never fails to amaze me how folks will JUMP on one comment to show how very much in error that ONE comment is. Yet they IGNORE the remainder of the post.
    Things that make you go hmmm.

Ken and gb specifically. Both you fellers did it. Care to comment or critique what WE do? Do YOU even know what we do? Do you even care?

I trow not. But in case you do, go here:
    www.tvbc.org

In HIS service;
    Jim

14. yabba

yabba New Member

80% occupancy is the general cap for growth observed by those that do such studies.(SBC, GBC, etc). Not to say there are not exceptions, I know our Church was over 100% in one service for a while but new and inventive ways of worshiping God and delivering the unchanging message of Christ has relieved some of that. We currently have 5 on-campus services and one off campus in a growing part of town.
    We have an 8:30(traditional), 9:50(contemporary), 10:00(traditional/blended), 11:20(contemporary), and 11:30(contemporary/blended). The 9:50 and 11:20 are in our activity centers and are 10 minutes longer to have more praise and worship. The services that happen at the same time alternate between live pastor and closed circuit feed. This has worked beyond our expectations because they have been our largest hours, God has truly blessed us. We currently have around 6000 members with 5000 present any given Sunday. Our new campus is 25 mile away in a new community and recieves the message via video with a week delay...they had 350 the past Sunday...the first day of opening the doors.

People are hungry, folks. Churches will grow in number and depth if the Word is being taught. Our methods will not work for every community and others will not work in this community but whatever method is used remember that the unfailing, never changing, God we serve is the one that grows Churches...we just do as He leads.

I know I just spoke about numbers but spiritual growth is hard to put into tangibles.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What might happen if those people on Wed. night suddently decided to stop showing up on Wed. night and instead each person started a Bible study in the community?

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is an absurd imperative. We "must"? To "soul winning"?

I would disagree emphatically.

17. chandler

chandler New Member

Here are few things DR. Bob:

1. A christian is expected to go
    "Matt 28:18-20" (or as we go), and to be witnesses(Acts1:8.

2. A MATURE Christian will bear fruit. DR. Bob, I have never seen a one year old apple tree bearing fruit have you? A sign of a mature apple tree, or any other fruit tree, is fruit.
    Matt 13:23 "This is the man who hears the word and understands it; who indeeds bears fruit"

3. Souls are classified as fruit.
    Romans 16:5 " greet my beloved Ppanetus, who is among the firstfruits of Achaia to Christ."

I find your language very dissappointing, and untactful; certainly not above reproach. How can you make such statements and give no support to your OPINION? I believe that we can sharpen one another here in this forum; but it must be done tactfully. I would be interested in knowing how and why you disagree with my statements and support them biblically.

[​IMG]

18. 2Timothy4:1-5

2Timothy4:1-5 New Member

Well av1611jim, I took a look at your church's website, and it looks like you guys got a good thing going there. If all those ministries are working for you, then glory to God.

Having said that, I still prefer mid-week small groups where fellowship and learning take place, but I guess it's just a matter of whatever floats your boat.

Kenneth

19. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have 10 posts, so are new here and I will treat you as such. Your disappointment in me and reproach of me should cause YOU concern, to speak such of another.

Okay enough lecture.

1. We are to be witnesses. "Soul Winning" (used only once in the bible and NOTHING to do with the 1-2-3-pray-after-me "soul winning" that is practiced today; nothing) is not our job. You have never won a soul; I have never won a soul.

It is 100% the work of the Holy Spirit. HE wins souls; we are stewards of the Word and to be faithful witnesses. Contrary to your opinion, I am.

2. Christians bear fruit. It comes from the same Spirit that regenerated us. It is called the "fruit of the Spirit".

Where is "soul winning" in that list? Of course, it isn't there. But a mature Christian will demonstrate the fruit of the Spirit (hence my patience in explaining things to you, with just a tad of my usualy satire) and that will be a witness of Christ.

3. I have folks that, with my witness as a factor, the Spirit of God gloriously saved. Paul didn't claim "his" converts as "his" fruit. Read it. They were the firstfruit of Greece to Christ.

Hope this clears up my statements. Questions, rather than judgment, will go a lot farther than clicking your tongue and reproaching. Just a word from experience - I'm a recovering Pharisee and quite adept at judging!! [​IMG]

20. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Chandler,
    I think Dr. Bob disagrees with todays current definition of "soul-wining". My brother calls it cookie cutter evangelisim.

What I call soul-winning is sharing the gospel. Some plant, some water, etc. The Holy spirit is the one that saves. I do believe that people lead people to Christ.

Had a disagreement with a pastor once and he said:" Look at us grow. I'm not changing anything we do."

My response was that any good business man can make something grow. Wal-mart grows as well as Catholics, JWs', etc. Numbers doesn't mean a thing when you aren't centered on Christ.