1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thoughts on signing church membership covenants?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by wordsmyth, Jul 17, 2018.

1. wordsmyth

wordsmyth New Member

I am in a discussion locally with several individuals about the (apparently) growing trend towards requiring new members to sign some form of church membership covenant.

Personally, I see the value in terms of new members affirming the ideals and commitments of church membership. At the same time, I can see the reasons why some express reservations about anything that borders making membership a contractual relationship.

What is the thinking of the brain trust on the matter of signing membership covenants?

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMHO church membership is a covenant between members that exceeds a written "contract". I do like the idea of having written covenants.

3. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed with the first part.
    But, I don't see a written contract between members in God's word, so I wouldn't do it.

To me, my covenant with my brothers and sisters was written in my Saviour's blood...I'm almost to the place I would do anything for them, but signing a piece of paper is almost like taking an oath, which I already made the mistake of doing once when I joined Uncle Sam's Navy 31 years ago.

From now on, if "yea" isn't enough, then I'm off to another assembly. :Frown

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've only been in one church that had its members sign the church covenants. There it wasn't a written contract but an acknowledgement. It carried no weight other than to say "you knew better" if removed from fellowship (and as an explanation of what the church believed). It wasn't contractual (breaking the church covenant did not necessarily mean one would be expelled from the congregation, nor did it prevent the member from leaving the congregation).

It was merely a "yea" recorded on paper :Wink .