1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Three camps of systematic theology

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Michael D. Edwards, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I would just add here that, to me, your position is going to be determined by your understanding the OT and the covenants actuallyy discussed (Abrahamic, Mosaic, Davidic, and New). The issue is, Can God make unconditional promises that he never intended to fulfill to the person or people with whom he made them? Dispensationalism says no; covenant theology seems to say yes.

2. Michael D. Edwards

Michael D. Edwards New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pastor Larry:
    I would just add here that, to me, your position is going to be determined by your understanding the OT and the covenants actuallyy discussed (Abrahamic, Mosaic, Davidic, and New). The issue is, Can God make unconditional promises that he never intended to fulfill to the person or people with whom he made them? Dispensationalism says no; covenant theology seems to say yes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I see your point. I would whole heartedly agree that if God makes a promise, he will keep it. The only time I suppose he wouldn't is if the promise had conditions to it that may or may not be kept by the person with whom the covenant is given. But, you're right. However, then, it seems that the Bible should be viewed as an unveiling of these things, rather than a division of them. Maybe I'd have to call it "hyper" dispensationalism, but in reading some dispensational theology, it would seem they don't rightly divide the Word, they completely divide it!?

Continuing to study

Michael Edwards

ps. Pastor Larry, will you email me privately please? [email protected]