1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Three Curtains

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by rstrats, Sep 27, 2013.

1. thisnumbersdisconnected

Can't find one with just a cursory search, but I know I read it somewhere. Might not have been online. I'll keep trying.
    They weren't designed to cheat. They can only work on hard math equations. There is no way a simulator can "simulate chance." For example, a simulator would never, ever produce results of a simulation in which 99 out of 100 coin tosses came up "heads," but it can happen. It's not likely, but the simulator will never produce that result.

Here's the best example I know. Helicopters have flown upside down and survived. Not intentionally, and not for long. But the first-ever public test flight of the UH-1 done before a procurement team from the Pentagon, was nearly a disaster because of a freak thunderstorm that blew over the mountains and engulfed the bird before anyone saw it coming. That was in 1958. They landed the bird, and found only sixteen rivets in the airframe were stretched, and one popped. The Army ordered 1,500 of them.

Get a simulator to produce those conditions? It will not happen. According to the equations that go into the simulator's programing, it's impossible, so it won't reproduce the event that happened to the very first bird publicly flown. Program into the simulator such a thunderstorm appearing unexpectedly, and it crashes the bird 100% of the time.

I just thought of another one. United Air Lines Flight 232, July 19, 1989, bound from Denver to Chicago. The plane suffered catastrophic of the DC-10s tail-mounted third engine. The engine literally disintegrated, throwing shrapnel from interior engine parts all over the aircraft, severing hydraulic lines in all three such systems aboard the aircraft. Capt. Alfred C. Haynes, First Officer William Records, and Second Officer Dudley Dvorak went to work figuring out how to control and uncontrollable aircraft. They were joined by Dennis E. Fitch, an off-duty United Airlines DC-10 flight instructor who was flying first class.

The four settled on shifting the throttles on the two remaining engines, feeding power to the engine opposite any turns they wanted to make. To descend, their only choice was to reduce engine power. They brought the plane in steep and fast at Sioux Gateway Airport in Sioux City, Iowa. That mode was the only choice they had given the spaghetti the explosion had rendered of their systems, and when the plane landed, it broke in two, rolled, and the remaining two engines burst into flames. The crash killed 111 of the 296 people on board, but miraculously the crew all survived, along with 181 others. The reality is, everyone on board should have died.

The FAA, Douglas and United all tried to duplicate the maneuvers the four pilots used to bring the plane over 150 air miles from where the engine exploded, to the airport. No simulation succeeded. Every single one indicated the plane should have crashed and killed everyone. But it didn't.

Then there's Sully Sullenberger. 'Nuf said.

The "Let's Make A Deal" simulator is far simpler and less intense than the flight simulators. Nonetheless, what you tell a simulator is possible results in all it can do being within that realm of possibility. It can't think, it can't duplicate chance, it can't do "real world." It's a computer. God, humans and reality interact much differently

#61 thisnumbersdisconnected, May 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2014
  2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I might as well jump in here again. At the outset of the game and if he stands pat, the contestant does have a pure 1 in 3 chance of choosing correctly. When Monty eliminates one of the curtains he then gives you the option of swapping your initial choice for the lone remaining curtain. IF you decide to swap, you have changed the initial conditions and you now have a 1 in 2 chance of choosing correctly.

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

I believe that is correct. Been thinking about it, and yes, it appears the action of the contestant, not the host, is what changes the odds. That would explain the actual "Let's Make A Deal" stats showing a roughly 1/3 chance of winning if one doesn't change his/her door, but a nearly 1/2 chance when he/she does. Good call, ITL. :thumbsup:

4. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    InTheLight,

re: "IF you decide to swap, you have changed the initial conditions and you now have a 1 in 2 chance of choosing correctly."

Earlier I asked what you would do, if before any curtain is opened, the host tells you that you can switch from your initial pick of curtain #1 to BOTH curtains 2 and 3? You replied that you would switch to both #2 and #3, but added that that would be a different situation. I then asked what the difference is between you personally opening both curtains 2 and 3, and the host opening curtain #3 for you? So I ask again - what is the difference?

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

6. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you agree with my analysis or not?

7. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    InTheLight,

re: "Do you agree with my analysis or not?"

Agree with your first sentence. But not with your last. Nothing has changed with regard to the odds. Now, I ask you again - what difference does it make if you personally open both curtains or the host opens one of them for you?

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

Once door 3 is eliminated, you have 2 doors left. No matter which door you choose 1 or 2, you have a 50/50 chance of being right.

These guys are blowing smoke. Once you have two doors left, your odds are 50/50 no matter which door you choose.

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

Once door 3 is eliminated, you have 2 doors left. No matter which door you choose 1 or 2, you have a 50/50 chance of being right.

These guys are blowing smoke. Once you have two doors left, your odds are 50/50 no matter which door you choose.

Look at it like this, if originally all there was was doors 1 and 2, what would be your odds if you picked either one? 1 in 2 or 50/50.

They are just confusing themselves and others with pure double-talk.

10. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Non Sequitur. What difference does it make if I answer your question? Just state your case and let me react.

If I choose curtain #1 I have a 1 out of 3 chance of being correct. If Monty shows me 6 more curtains but I stand pat with curtain #1 I still have a 1 out of 3 chance of being correct since my original odds haven't changed because I haven't changed my choice.

#70 InTheLight, May 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2014
  11. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Winman,

re: " Once door 3 is eliminated, you have 2 doors left. No matter which door you choose 1 or 2, you have a 50/50 chance of being right."

If before any curtain is opened, what would you do if the host tells you that you can switch from your initial pick of curtain #1 to BOTH curtains 2 and 3?

12. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    InTheLight,

re: "What difference does it make if I answer your question?"

Well, if you say it doesn't matter who opens the curtain, then I would ask why you wouldn't change to curtain #2 where there is a 2/3rds chance of the car being there?

And if you say that there is a difference, I would ask you to explain why you think that there is.

13. thisnumbersdisconnected

[​IMG]

The Dead Horse Theory is no longer a theory.

Rstrats has proven it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

[​IMG]

#73 thisnumbersdisconnected, May 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2014
  14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't believe I said anything about who was opening the curtain.

There isn't a 2/3 chance, there is a 1/3 chance.

Whatever...

15. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Winman,

re: "Once door 3 is eliminated, you have 2 doors left. No matter which door you choose 1 or 2, you have a 50/50 chance of being right."

I ask again, what would you do if after your initial pick of curtain #1 and before any curtain was opened, the host told you that you could switch your pick to both curtains 2 and 3?

16. Winman

Winman Active Member

That is still 50/50 because doors 2 and 3 are combined into one pick. So, you have the choice of #1 Door number one, or #2 Doors number 2 and 3. If you pick #2, you get both doors 2 and 3. However, that's only one pick.

Math was not your major in school was it?

17. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Winman,

You didn't answer the question: "What would you do if after your initial pick of curtain #1 and before any curtain was opened, the host told you that you could switch your pick to both curtains 2 and 3?"