1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tipping at this "Restaurant"

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Salty, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I realize that in most restaurants that the tip should be about 20%

Tonight I went to a restaurant (?). You order your food as though you are at McDondalds. You pay, and then are informed to have a seat as the server will bring your food.

During the course of our meal, the server never once came to ask if we wanted more water, soda, ect.

When I paid the bill, there was a line for a tip. (edited: - I paid for meal when I ordered it - not after finishing)

Do you think a person is obligated to tip at this kind of restaurant? If so, how much, 5,10,15,20%

#1 Salty, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember once asking this same question years ago on this board, and one guy, who said he had worked as a waiter before, claimed the servers at this type of eatery may actually do MORE for you than in a place where you sit down and order. But I don't think he explained how, and I have never been able to buy it. I occasionally dine at a Chinese buffet where they seat you and bring and refill your drink, but you serve yourself all the food from the buffet. They have recently hiked the prices to $10.99 for an adult, evenings or Sundays [I think it's $7.99 for lunch on weekdays]. I usually tip $1. Maybe it should be more than that, since they do promptly take away empty plates and ask if we want water refills. But 20% when we serve ourselves? Can somebody convince me that's warranted?

3. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

As a former waiter, I'd say do not feel the need to tip there. If all they do is bring your food, they aren't waiters. If they bring your drinks and and refills, then I'd say tip a dollar per operation in your party ( most Chinese places fall in this category). If they are"full service" (take your order, delivery it, etc) then I'd say tip no less than 10% or two dollars per person.

As a former waiter, I can tell you that we remembered our customers. We knew who tipped well and who didn't. And the ones we knew tipped got much better service.

At my first waiting job, there was a certain couple that would come in, bypass the hostess and seat themselves. They made a point to never tip. They even joked about accidentally leaving a "tip" on the table when they forgot a quarter on the table. They came back and got it. Eventually, no server would go to their table when they sat themselves. They asked to speak to the manager, and told him they weren't getting any service. He said, "I know. You never tip, so the server's refuse to serve you. And I agree." They sat there for over an hour, then finally left, never to come back.

I went on a little rabbit trail there, but I believe the first part of my post dealt with the subject of the op.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

4. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I just saw the typos in my last post, but it's too late to edit it.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk