1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tithe

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ShotGunWillie, Jun 26, 2007.

1. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

Get It Right!!

It's called Bar-B-Q down here, boy!

Get It Right!

:thumbs:

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That IS what you offer to God, then?

3. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Question: "What does the Bible say about Christian tithing?"

Answer: Tithing is an issue that many Christians struggle with. In many churches tithing is over-emphasized. At the same time, many Christians refuse to submit to the Biblical exhortation in regards to making offerings to the Lord. Tithing / giving is intended to be a joy, a blessing. Sadly, that is rarely the case in the church today.

Tithing is an Old Testament concept. The tithe was a requirement of the law in which all Israelites were give 10% of everything they earned and grew to the Tabernacle / Temple (Leviticus 27:30; Numbers 18:26; Deuteronomy 14:24; 2 Chronicles 31:5). Some understand the Old Testament tithe as a method of taxation to provide for the needs of the priests and Levites of the sacrificial system. The New Testament nowhere commands, or even recommends that Christians submit to a legalistic tithe system. Paul states that believers should set aside a portion of their income in order to support the church (1 Corinthians 16:1-2).

The New Testament nowhere assigns a certain percentage of income to set aside, but only says it is to be “in keeping with his income” (1 Corinthians 16:2). The Christian church has essentially taken the 10% figure from the Old Testament tithe and applied it as a “recommended minimum” for Christians in their giving. Although the New Testament does not identify a specific amount or percentage to give, it does talk about the importance and benefits of giving. They should give as they are able, “in keeping with his income.” Sometimes that means giving more than a tithe, sometime that may mean giving less than a tithe. It all depends on the ability of the Christian and the needs of the church. Each and every Christian should diligently pray and seek God’s wisdom as to whether to participate in tithing and/or for how much he or she should give (James 1:5). “Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:7).

http://www.gotquestions.org/tithing-Christian.html

4. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Gotquestions has given the best answer I have heard to date Linda.

5. strykero1

strykero1 New Member

I used to tithe to the last pastor, er, church that I attented. But, I got tired of paying for the pastor's kitchen remodel, new deck, vacations, asst. pastor's new vinyl siding, ceramic tile floors, etc. Not to mention the year end bonuses to his son-in-law & daughter who play the piano, the pastor's wife, the deacon & other assorted freeloaders who attented this church. Plus salaries for the above, utilities, taxes & insurance for the "parsonage". Not to mention the time the pastor paid for one young lady's trip to Europe to visit relatives with church funds. You get the picture. Of course, the men of the church who went along with this abuse were all the pastor's golfing buddies. No, I don't tithe anymore. I give to those that I see that truly need it, not freeloaders.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

OUCH! :tear:

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hmmm - Ya ever been a pastor? Apparently not. I'm a pastor's wife. My husband took more than a 50% cut in pay and we now live on what is considered the poverty level for our area. My husband works upwards of 80 hours a week and is expected to give up any time he DOES have if need be. This is his calling - from God. He's happy to do it for the Lord. If he was in it for the money, he'd go back to the audio industry where he developed a reputation for being honest, extremely competent and much sought after. But that's not where his heart is or where God wants him to be.

I feel sorry for your former pastor. No - actually I'm happy for him that he no longer has a person in his congregation who would deny a man pay for his labors. You might want to read 1 Corinthians 9:7-14

8. JerryL

JerryL New Member

No doubt you didn't read his post. Not your typical Pastor paying Church there Ann. You seem to have left off 1Corinthians 9: 15-18 Ann. Paul didn't preach for money. He had a job, tentmaking. Your Husband could do what my dad did his entire 20 some years of Preaching and Pastoring, get a job. I'm not saying paying pastors is bad if extortion(tithe teaching) isn't used.

#108 JerryL, Oct 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2007
  9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I certainly DID read his post. He was annoyed because his pastor was paid a living wage and getting some home improvements (who knows if the kitchen was in such bad shape that it NEEDED to be done). He was also annoyed at the "freeloaders" who got year end bonuses because of their work that they do for the church. I don't know what he'd rather his tithe go to. My husband DID work 2 jobs for 2 years and he wasn't able to do either one to the best of his ability AND he was neglecting his family. Also, Paul wasn't a pastor of a congregation. AND just because Paul did not get paid doesn't negate what he said in verses 8-14. It was HIS choice to not get paid and I know of other pastors who do the same thing - but that doesn't mean it is SUPPOSED to be the norm. Scripture is clear on this - a man is due his wages.

Also, we do not use extortion - and I am really pretty offended at that term. Extortion is an illegal act as defined in the dictionary. Where is it illegal to preach on giving with a cheerful heart - or to even preach that we should tithe? I do not see that as extortion.

10. JerryL

JerryL New Member

If you don't preach tithing(which has been annulled in the NT btw) the Biblical way and not Webster's dictionary way, you are either teaching it out of ignorance or extortion. Either way it is unacceptable. Tell it to God when you see Him.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But what does that have to do with paying a pastor a living wage? And I don't need to tell God anything when I see Him in this regard, thank you very much.

12. JerryL

JerryL New Member

It has nothing to do with paying a pastor a living wage, unless you are using tithe teaching for NT Christians to pay him. I'm not against paying Pastors, i'm against telling a NT congregation they are supposed to tithe to do it. God never intended for Christians to tithe or He would have told them to do it. Tithing was for Israel in Israel from the land of Israel, and it was never money. If a Church has the means to pay a Pastor from funds gathered from freewill offerings, I see nothing wrong with it. But, the title of the thread is "Tithe", not "paying Pastors".

#112 JerryL, Oct 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2007
  13. strykero1

strykero1 New Member

Nobody denied him anything. He makes sure he is well taken care of. As a matter of fact, he lives better than many of the folks that hand over there hard earned pay so the pastor can turn around & have a new deck installed on the rear of his house, paid for with church funds. You think it's fair that his son-in-law gets a year end stipend {again, church funds} because on Sunday he does Bible quiz? No, the pastor makes sure that he & his family are comfortable. The asst. pastor {another relative} doesn't have a job, he has a salary paid for with church funds. And had new ceramic tiles installed in his house, paid for by people that go to work every day. Excuse me, I didn't know that tithing was for the purpose of ensuring that the pastor & his family can enjoy an evening barbecue on their brand spanking new deck. Yea, that's a real necessity.

14. strykero1

strykero1 New Member

Nobody denied him anything. He makes sure he is well taken care of. As a matter of fact, he lives better than many of the folks that hand over there hard earned pay so the pastor can turn around & have a new deck installed on the rear of his house, paid for with church funds. You think it's fair that his son-in-law gets a year end stipend {again, church funds} because on Sunday he does Bible quiz? No, the pastor makes sure that he & his family are comfortable. The asst. pastor {another relative} doesn't have a job, he has a salary paid for with church funds. And had new ceramic tiles installed in his house, paid for by people that go to work every day. Excuse me, I didn't know that tithing was for the purpose of ensuring that the pastor & his family can enjoy an evening barbecue on their brand spanking new deck. Yea, that's a real necessity.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So it is wrong for a pastor to have anything new. Hmmmm. I've heard this argument before and I just don't buy it. Our parsonage is old - and as I drive by, I see that the windows REALLY need to be replaced. They will sometime but not right now. But just because he gets new windows doesn't mean that he's getting something special. WE replaced our inefficient windows years ago. Let's think about this - the church owns the home usually (a parsonage or manse) and upkeep is the standard practice of the church. They need to keep up their investment AND make sure it's safe and up to code. Perhaps the old deck was getting unsafe and needed to be replaced. If it were our church, men from our congregation would use the materials that the church purchased and in one Saturday, the deck would be built along with buying the men bagels and coffee for breakfast and someone fixing them a nice lunch.

I've heard people say that the pastor's kids are dressed too nicely - they should be wearing hand-me-downs because they shouldn't be making enough money to buy all those nice clothes. A new bathroom?? How dare they! That old mouldy bathroom with the water leak that was rotting the subflooring was fine - just do some caulking and it would hold up for a few more years. "I'm not paying for him to get a new bathroom." How unbelievably self-centered and disobedient to God. A man should earn a living wage. A pastor nowadays has a HUGE responsibility and much is expected of him. Yes, we might have some new things but it's not because we're rolling in dough or misusing church funds (in the majority of cases) but because things NEED to be done. We're about to "gasp" get a new floor in our den!! Yikes!! But then again, our den carpet is 25 years old, has been through 6 kids AND many meetings for the church in it - and my husband is now having his allergies get severe and the replacing of the carpet with laminate is a necessity. Is it nice that we'll do this? Yes - but it's a necessity and something that any one of our congregation would be able to do in a heartbeat.

Just a quick thing - we've talked about this here at home and we both feel that a pastor should get a living wage according to where he lives - about the median income or maybe a little less. If he is working in an area where the median income is $20,000, then that's about what he should make and he should be able to live on what others do in the area. If the median income is $80,000, then he should make close to that too. Whatever it takes so he's not living in poverty in the area he's in, then that's what he should get paid.

I gotta say, I've been in churches where the tithe is taught and knew that less than 5% of the congregation did just that. So even if they teach tithing, it's not like the church will be swimming in dough. We teach ABOUT the tithe and ask each person to pray and ask what God wants them to give - and to be sure they give what He says and give it cheerfully. For some, it's more than 10%, for some it's less. AND we're a church that's able to have 9 pastors, 45 employees (over a thousand attend on Sundays), and just built a much-needed addition to the church building with cash and putting in our own manual labor on much of it. Actually, the congregation doesn't even know it but every Friday is "work day" for the pastors. This week they were sheetrocking the basement storage rooms and were framing out the new elevator. With this new addition, we will now be able to increase the size of our handicapped ministry because we'll have a room for them to meet that will be large enough for 40 wheelchairs (as opposed to the 10 we can fit now) and an elevator to get them there. It's also increasing the size of the classroom space so that the students don't need to meet in the lobby and hallways anymore. God is good and He will provide through the CHEERFUL giving of His people.

16. strykero1

strykero1 New Member

The deck was new construction, not a replacement. This pastor's salary was $30,00/yr. Plus a health ins. policy, $8,000, utilities, $2500-3,000, property taxes, $2,000. All paid by tithers. Not too bad. Plus he owns his own business, & works there on Sundays & sermons others about the Lord's Day & not working, then turns around & hires church youth to work for him on that day. I'm not saying that any pastor should live in a run down shack. But, it galled me to see a new deck installed on his house paid for with church funds. I no longer attend that church because I could no longer stand the hypocrisy. Many of the church members were on the low income scale. Just working to make ends meet. But, they tithe. For what? So the pastor & his family can enjoy their new kitchen remodel?

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Can I ask who's house is it? Is it the church's (like a parsonage) or is it the pastor's personal house?