1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"tithes", "offerings", and "gifts"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by AresMan, Aug 30, 2005.

1. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've heard preachers attempt to define these terms as different portions/proportions of giving money to the church that add together to form the total of what a church-goer is supposed to give to the church.

Please define these three terms and demonstrate how they apply to the New Testament church (if at all). Please use Scripture to support your definitions.

From the start, by doing extensive study of the subject myself, this is what I have come up with:
    1. Tithe: An Old Testament practice of giving a tenth of the increase of one's produce (livestock and food) to the Levitical priesthood, and the poor and strangers within the gates. There are anywhere from one to three different types of tithes mentioned, yet at least one of them (if more than one) occurs once every three years and involves a celebration of praise with sharing with each other, eating, and offering sacrifices to God. Never was money mentioned in the tithe, except if the journey to the celebration was long, the family could convert their tithe to money, and bring the money to the celebration, and purchase titheable commodities.
    2. Offering: An Old Testament practice of burning something on an altar to the Lord. Part of one's tithe was offered as sacrifices to the Lord at the tithe celebrations. So far I have been unable to find a use of the word "offering" that has to do with anything other than burnt sacrifices.
    3. Gifts: Something given out of charity, whether money or other assets. This does seem to be a New Testament practice, as it is the only term I have found in the New Testament that has to do with this subject.

What say ye?

2. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

As best I can tell, the tithe was always food and an offering was always brought to the alter to be burned [​IMG]

I'm not sure what you mean by "titheable commodities" or "tithe celebration".

the way i understand deu 14, the first 3 years they occupied the promise land, they were commanded to eat their own tithe. if the journey was too long (and the tithe (food) was at risk of perishing) they could redeem it for anything they want. only after 3 years are they to share the tithe with the priest and poor.

3. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Might help to find the answer quicker to decide that OT law is not carried over in NT (not talking about morals)

These verses tell us the OT law is out :Rom 7:6. Col 2:14, Eph 2:15.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Few of us are farmers, and instead of producing livestock, we produce income. While I don't think tithing is a compulsory law, and while I do think that tithing is good and proper, I don't think it's wrong to substitute money today for the livestock of yesterday.

5. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by Johnv: Few of us are farmers, and instead of producing livestock, we produce income. While I don't think tithing is a compulsory law, and while I do think that tithing is good and proper, I don't think it's wrong to substitute money today for the livestock of yesterday.

Why do you think tithing is good and proper when God tossed it out? N.T. is giving. Why are people so afraid to use the word "give"? It is biblical and found in the N.T. Tithing is not found to be the order of the day for ANY church at ANY time.

6. buckster75

buckster75 Member

choose law or grace. this is not that complicated. What the Jer. Council stated is all the gentiles are required to follow. (again not talking about morals)

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

God "tossed out" eating Kosher foods, but eating kosher foods is still an option (and a healthy one) if we want to employ it. You amlost give the implression that a person who tithes is bad. That's ridiculous. If someone chooses to honor God via the tithe, then let them do so without fear of reprisal.

Because giving implies that it's ours. It isn't It's God's, and we're simply being stewards.
    So then a person who chooses to tithe is sinning?

8. buckster75

buckster75 Member

each one should give as he has decided in his heart to give. if the spirit leads you to give 10% because you have prayed aout it and feel lead to give that amount. great. but if you are doing it to follow some OT law that is another case.

9. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by Johnv: You amlost give the implression that a person who tithes is bad.

The person that enforces the tithe is bad. When a preacher quotes Malachi and tells his congregation he is stealing from God by not tithing , that is BAD. When a preaches tells a person who cannot feed his family properly to tithe with the faith God will bless no matter what, is wrong and unbiblical.

Posted by Johnv: Because giving implies that it's ours. It isn't It's God's, and we're simply being stewards.

Acts 5:4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.

It is shown here that ownership of the land was Ananias and Saffiras'.

Psalm 50:10 for every animal of the forest is mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills.

Yes. God does claim ownership. But watch this!

Luke 15:31 " 'My son,' the father said, 'you are always with me, and everything I have is yours.

Now The Father is sharing ownership with Christ.

Romans 8:17
    And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

We are children of God and heirs with God and joint heirs with God. An heir shares ownership.

So yes my friend we CAN give because we DO own.

Posted by Johnv: So then a person who chooses to tithe is sinning?

I never said a tither is sinning. The enforcer of the tithe is in sin. The tither is in error as it is not a requirement of the N.T.

Give 10% if you want and more if you can. All I am saying is that tithing as practised in N.T. churches does not even resemble o.t. tithing. It was an invention of the Roman Catholic Church.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I agree with you, so why on earth are you debating my statement that tithing, while not mandatory, is good and proper.

THen I can't for the life of me understand why you disagreed with my statement.

11. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For those who believe that there is some "legal" requirement for New Testament "tithing", could you define these three terms Biblically. I often hear preachers speak of "tithes, gifts, and offerings," but I would really like to know what exactly they supposedly mean and what the Scripture says.

12. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Especially, what is the difference between a "gift" and an "offering" if they are both monetary?

13. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by Johnv: I agree with you, so why on earth are you debating my statement that tithing, while not mandatory, is good and proper.

If you agree it is not mandatory thats good. But it is NOT good and proper to tithe as practised in churches today.

Look. Just call it what it is. Giving. When you call it tithing it is misleading. Why hold on to somthing that has been taken out of context by the church? Why hang on to something God has done away with?

Set it down long enough for God to give you something better. Grace and freedom to decide the blessedness of giving.

14. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    webdog, it appears you gave a definition of "tithes", "gifts", and "offerings" in the Tithing topic. Can you support your definitions of these terms with Scripture?