1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tithing Denies the Priesthood of All Believers

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by toughlove, Jan 28, 2008.

1. toughlove

toughlove New Member

Tithing Denies the Priesthood of All Believers

The tithing ordinance was for Israel only and given by Moses from Mount Sinai (Leviticus 27:30-34). Tithes were taken only from the LAND (verse 30), and from anything nourished by the LAND OF ISRAEL (cattle, sheep, etc., verse 32). Today, preachers have taken the tithing burden off the Land and put it on God’s people. We are not under the Mosaic Covenant of Law, but under Grace (Rom.6:14; Gal.5:18). Going back under Mosaic Law brings a curse (Gal.3:10). If you pick one Mosaic Law to be under, you must keep them ALL, including circumcision, not eating ham, ceasing work on Saturday, etc.
    Only Israelite farmers had to bring in tithes. Hired hands, midwives, fishermen, and tradesmen did not owe any tithes. Tithes were food for the poor (Deut.14:28-29). Not one scripture supports taking tithes on money or using tithes to construct church buildings.
    Every seventh year no crops would be gathered (Lev.25:1-7). Since tithes could not be collected off a non-existent harvest, people were given a year off from tithing every seventh year. The Israelites didn’t even have to tithe at all in the wilderness. How many preachers give their congregation a whole year off from tithing?
    Jacob attached conditions to his offer to tithe (Gen.28:20-22). IF God will be with me, etc., then AFTER Jacob got home safely again to his father’s house he would start tithing. If tithing was required, Jacob was in no position to bargain with ten percent of his stuff.
    The Israelite priesthood did not pay tithes. Lower-ranking Levites tithed to the priests after taking getting their own tithes from the people (Num.18:25-28). New Covenant believers are called Christ’s Royal Priesthood (I Pet.2:5,9). No apostle ever commands Christians to tithe. When Christians tithe, they deny their own priesthood in Christ Jesus.
    :tonofbricks:

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

When this Christian tithes, she acknowledges that all of what she has belongs to God and uses the tithe as a guideline for herself as to what she can give to God. I'd love to give more but to me, if I can't give God 10% of my earnings, then something is amiss with my finances. Even during the toughest times, 10% has been doable.

It has nothing to do with the priesthood. In our church, the offerings and tithes are also not used to build an extention onto our building but that has been a different fund. The tithes were to support the temple, the priests and the poor. Just as the offerings in churches today do the same thing.

3. standingfirminChrist

Do you put yourself under the other 612 Levitical laws as well?

If not, you are just as guilty of breaking the tithing law as the other 612.

James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

If you are not a farmer, or livestock breeder, according to Scripture you were not required to tithe.

study it out. we are not required to tithe. And it is wrong for pastors to demand tithes of their congregation putting them under a yoke of bondage.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Did I say that I follow it as a law? Nope. Did I say our pastors are demanding this? Nope. I use it as a guideline - a suggestion - and I've CHOSEN to use this as a guide for myself so that I'm not just tossing a dollar in the basket each week like we did when I was a kid in the Catholic church. So no need to worry SFIC.

5. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I think SFIC is responding to the OP more than he is to you, ann.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think it was addressed to me because the OP was also speaking against tithing and that it's not necessary. SFIC said that he hoped that the person he was addressing was keeping the rest of the laws too - and since the OP doesn't tithe, I'd figure that would be referring to me. ;)

7. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Hmmm.. I think maybe I'm misreading the OP.

8. standingfirminChrist

My post was to everyone, not one person in particular. No need to get hostile.

9. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

So you're saying we're not under the Levitical laws anymore?

Jamie

10. standingfirminChrist

Jamie,1

The Levitical laws were never written for or meant for Gentiles.

Read Acts 15:1-10...

Peter told the Jewish Council that it was wrong for them to put the Gentile Believers under a yoke of bondage.

What was that yoke he referred to?

The Jewish Council wanted the Gentile believer to be circumcised and to keep the law.

No, we are not under Levitical law.

11. Russ Kelly

Russ Kelly New Member

Tough love began this thread with a statement about the priesthood of believers annuling any possiblity of tithing surviving after Calvafy. Nobody has discussed that.

(1) Exodus 19:5-6 stated that God wanted EVERY BELIEVER to be a priest.
    (2) When the golden calf incident occurred the Levites replaced that original purpose and the others were asked to tithe to replace their loss of land inheritacne.
    (3) 1 Peter 2:9-10 quotes Ex 19:5-6, makes every beleliver a priest and restored Ex 19:5-6. That is very clear!!!
    (4) Therefore the original PURPOSE of tithes no longer exists.

Today the so-called "tithe-receiver" wants the tithe and wants to be a property and landowner both. Why is that OK?

Please tell us why this logic is wrong.

12. standingfirminChrist

Scripture clearly tells us the Levitical Priesthood were not property owners. If one wants to play the part of Levite priest and collect tithes, then that one needs to makes sure that one is in line with God's Word.

Not a landowner.
    Wearing all the garments that were assigned to priests.
    Offering Sacrifices... thought Christ did away with them??

13. TomVols

TomVols New Member

This is a theological discussion, not an economic one. Therefore, I am moving it to the appropriate forum.

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I wonder how many chuches do not have tithes??

BBob,

15. standingfirminChrist

In answer to your question, Brother Bob...

All that have received the truth and believe it concerning tithes.

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well, count the Old Regular Baptist as having received the truth. We live by "love" offerings.

BBob,

17. sag38

sag38 Active Member

What about Cain and Able's offering of their first fruits? Or what about Abraham giving 10% of the plunder. These offerings predated the law. Who was it that taught Cain and Able to bring these gifts? Who taught Abraham to give 10% of the plunder? Where did this desire or command come from?

18. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The early church members were selling all they had (not just 10%) and giving it to the church, so the church could help take care of the poor. This was the reason the Apostles had the church select men to manage the distribution of benevolence (waiting tables=money tables).

That is the equivolent of using the "tithe" to feed the poor. In this case, it was "all they had". You see the same with Matthew and Zachaeus.

Paul traveled to many churches seeking support for his ministry. He also told us that Pastor/elders were worthy of being supported financially. That presupposes that members were giving to support ministries in those churches.

God loves a joyful giver. If you want to hang on to your money in this life, by all means do so. You store your kind of wealth and I'll store mine.

Don't assume I'm "trying to keep the Mosaic Law" because I am not consumed by the deceitfulness of wealth.

After this life, I intend to walk on streets of gold. Those little slips of paper we call money won't be of much worth there, but what we did with our financial resources in this life will.

peace to you:praying:

#18 canadyjd, Jan 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2008
  19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Try and get along without it............:)

BBob,

20. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the lead post. I have never understood how a pastor can preach we are not under the Law but under grace and then in the next sentence tell us we are robbing God if we do not tithe placing us right back under the law.
    MB