1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

To tell the Truth?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From another post: post # 6
    ( the shows Ken is talking about telling "white lies" as to not hurt someones feelings)

but how many of us will do the same thing
    For example if a lady were to asks us "Am I too fat"
    what would you say.

Sound like this can be a very interesting subject

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the "Andy Griffith" episode I mentioned, though, it was affecting a whole group of people.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you remember the name of the episode - or the plot?

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about the epsoide where Andy is trying to sell the city cannon - and he "stretches" the truth. Meanwhile, Opie does the same thing for something he is trying to sell.

#4 Salty, Mar 18, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah. Amazing how many time a tiny Opie ends up showing Andy the error of his ways. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Barney and the Choir"

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of my favorite shows, right up there with Dirty Jobs, Duck Dynasty and John Wayne movies.

As far as the "Am I too fat" question, yes I would tell the truth, and I have on medical calls where I have obese patients that are so fat their skin folds are literally rotting and necrotizing.

Just as a hypothetical, imagine a nonbeliever who wanted to ask you about Christ saw that you told a clearly obese woman that she wasn't fat. If I saw someone do that, I would immediately question what else they're willing to lie a little bit about, and in my mind it would reduce the validity of whatever else they believe. If I saw someone tell the truth, and say she needed to lose weight, then I might think they are blunt, but I will think they are an honest, blunt person which is what we should be aiming for. John the Baptist and Jesus were both blunt, honest and kind and those three qualities are not mutually exclusive.

This is the same reasoning why I agree 100% with how Matt Walsh addressed Dylan Mulvaney, who is pretending to be a woman. The truth is not mean, the truth is the truth. If the truth offends, if reality offends, then it's not the truth that's the problem.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Revelation 21:8, ". . . and all liars, shall . . . ."

Hebrews 11: 31, ". . . By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace. . . ."

James 2:25, ". . . Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way? . . ."

Joshua 2:4, ". . . And the woman took the two men, and hid them, and said thus, There came men unto me, but I wist not whence they were: . . ."

Hebrews 10:17, ". . . And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more. . . .,"

And the religious and lost cannot understand, but we who know God through His Son do.

9. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know a single solitary woman who will walk up to a man, not her husband, and ask if she is too fat.

Wives do ask their husbands sometimes does a particular outfit make her LOOK fat.

I've learned when it comes to women and men who ask if their new hairstyle or outfit looks good on them and it is HIDEOUS to say, "Well, for me, it's not your best look." And then compliment another outfit they have

Our choir director told me that after his daughter's wedding that he was going to stop coloring his hair. [He is 67] The church members had no idea he colored his hair. I only knew because he told me years ago. We've worked together since 1990.

Well, he did stop and had his hair stylist take off the color that was there. It went from jet black to salt/pepper. He asked me what I thought. I told him the truth. It made him look distinguished.

On a side note - his wife just died of ALS. She had a VERY bad time. It crushed the whole church. Please pray for him and his newly married daughter.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scarlett, you are probably correct. I was simply trying to use a facetious example as a way to get the discussion going.

11. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we’re going to talk about looks, then why not question women coloring their hair, or wearing wigs, makeup, girdles? How about using hair gel, hair straightener? Or curling hair, getting perms, using hair extensions? Or wearing fake nails, false eyelashes? What about plucking eyebrows, or penciling in what isn’t there? Etc. Are all of those honest measures?

12. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we’re going to talk about something making one look fat, then, if someone is fat, the answer could always be no with no clarification.

13. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did the men to whom Rahab the harlot say these words, have a reasonable 'expectation' that she would tell them the truth?

Women used to eventually get to where they had gray hair.

That's all I know about all that.

14. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My thought on that facetious example might be to us the Socratic method: "Do you think you're too fat?" (or, since I'm a big guy, "Do you think I'm too fat?" :D)

15. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don’t ask, unless you really do want my truthful opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "There's just enough of you" would be my answer. It sounds better than "one more donut and that button will fly off and kill somebody".

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess one could say, “No, it doesn’t make you look fat. You ARE fat!”

But that might body-shame them, or give them some kind of complex.

Just don’t “hear” the question and get out of there.

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You just found the answer. The honest answer (with clothes) is that the dress doesn't make her look fat. Unless she asks if she makes the dress look small there's no need to comment further.

• Funny Funny x 1