1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Today is the Feast Day of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Wittenberger, Aug 12, 2012.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So you think that calling THE SAME KIND OF ACTION and ATTITUDES expressed to God by another name (veneration) when expressed toward Mary changes it to something other than what those actions are called when directed to God (worship)??????

So if I call something "righteous" that the Bible defines as "sin" then it is no more sin? When you bow down and pray and give praise to God it is called "worship" but when you do the very same thing to Mary it is "veneration"?????? So all we have to do to escape idolatry is simply call our attitude and actions "veneration" and we no longer guilty of being idolaters????? Pleeeeease!!

#61 The Biblicist, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
  2. MichaelNZ

MichaelNZ New Member

I'm not saying that it changes it to something else. Venerating or worshipping Mary is wrong. I'm just advocating using the correct terminology. But if you are debating or dialoguing with a Roman Catholic and accuse them of "worshipping Mary" they will give you the stock standard response "we don't worship Mary, we just venerate her". This will take you off on a tangent and proves in their eyes that you don't understand latria and hyperdulia and by extension, that you are ignorant of true Catholic doctrine. I'm an ex-Roman Catholic so I'm speaking from experience here. If you are in a dialogue and trying to get them saved and make them understand that Roman Catholicism is wrong, then it's best to say something like "The Bible nowhere tells us to venerate Mary".

It is sin, and you and I both know that. I'm just saying that for Roman Catholics you should use their terminology. Recall what Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 9:

"And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law; To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law. To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some." (1 Corinthians 9:20-22 KJV)

3. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Wonder why that is? Veneration is not accorded to people who are still around and Mary was very much around when the Bible was being written.

I don't see the problem with veneration per se. When my parents died we erected a nice tomb stone to commemorate them. That is an act of veneration and most people reading this have done the same thing. I know you would say that with Mary it goes further than that, but let's keep our terminilogy correct and not trash a good and useful term like veneration.

4. WestminsterMan

WestminsterMan New Member

A knowledgeable Catholic would respond that Catholics don't hold to Sola Scriptura, so that argument won't work either.

WM

5. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Would you agree that Scripture is the Word of God??? Would you take the position that all the words found in the ECF's are the Words of God? If so, why counsels to determine what they say is right or wrong? If not, then are they not INFERIOR to the Scriptures?

So in effect you are claiming uninspired words of men (interpretations) ultmately take precedence over inspired words of God as you make God's Word subjected to men's words.

So why are not the interpretations of other uninspired men equally as valid as that of uninspired ECF's words since you clearly do not accept all they say as valid either???

Wouldn't it be better to acknowledge that ONLY GOD'S WORD is inspired and final authority and the words and interpretations of all other uninspired men are subject to the Word of God???? Isn't that exactly what Isaiah 8:20 commands you?

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A circular reasoning, for the bible ALONE cliams to have authority, as it IS inspired revealtion from god, while catholics have to hold unto their bogus Apostolic succession theory to be able to claim extra biblical authority!

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Mary was a remarkable human being based on the fact that she found grace in the sight of God. Noah found this, so why don't people build an ark and have a "Noah day"? Moses did also, so why not have a "Moses day"? Elijah found this, and God even had birds(think it was ravens) that brought food to him in the morning and evening, so why not have an "Elijah day"? And so on, and so on, and so on.....

When anyone starts honoring someone other than Jesus in the manner that Mary is with a feast day, they are overstepping, just a bit.

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Non catholics all honor her as the Mother of jesus, but we do NOT venerate/worship her, as she would NOT approve of that, nor does Her Son approve!