1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tough question i was asked...about going to hell

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by BroChris, Feb 11, 2003.

1. BroChris

BroChris Member

I was talking to friend, having a very honest conversation about the basics of Christianity. After talking awhile, he asks, "So you think I'm going to Hell? Be honest."

I said "Yes, I believe that's what the Bible teaches."

Is there a better way to put it?

2. Rob't K. Fall

Rob't K. Fall New Member

To a straight question like that, no. You answered a straight up question with a straight up answer. Though, I trust it was voiced with a note of regret [​IMG] rather than glee.

3. The_Narrow_Road

The_Narrow_Road New Member

I don't know what all the conversation went on to say, but might I add that instead of answering the question with a yes, answer it with a "how to not end up in hell". Once a person hears the gospel, they don't need to be condemned by us. They are condemned by their own decision if they have rejected Christ, for without Christ we have to pay the penalty for our sin. And that is eternal spiritual death in the lake of fire, forever separated from the God who loves us.

In Christ, Kenneth

4. rufus

rufus New Member

Bro Chris, you gave a fine answer and a true one. Keep it up! Your friend may come to salvation because of your answer.

Rufus [​IMG]

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

If you're worried about being non-offensive, next time answer with "I don't know for sure what's in your heart, only God does, but I do believe that the bible is true, and it says that those that don't believe in Jesus will not go to heaven after they die".
    Gina

6. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Bro. Curtis, you were led by God to speak to this guy. I am so sure it was the way it was suppose to be. Sometimes "to the point" is a little sharper than we want sometimes. But I am almost positive he left thinking about what you said. Now whether he acts on it is up to him.
    Sherrie

7. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I agree. That's a little more diplomatic.

8. Jonathan

Jonathan Member
    Site Supporter

Consider Paul at Mars Hill. Instead of opening up with a clear, direct and blanket condemnation of the highly educated pagans of Athens, he opened with by complimenting them on what they thought they were doing well. Then, having gained a hearing with them, he informed them of the real truth. Since they were seeking truth, they had to carefully consider his words. Since he didn't go for the immediate offense, they actually listened to what he had to say.

BTW, this is why I have a problem with the old hard core street preaching methodology. The message may be true, but when it is delivered with the most objectionable body language possible, you've stopped preaching and have become a freak show.

9. mozier

mozier New Member

Agreed.

I was driving the other day and came across a preacher standing on the curb, right in the middle of rush hour, and yelling at cars about hell and damnation while waving his Bible around over his head. Behind him were two of his helpers, holding up a banner that proclaim that everyone was going to hell without Jesus, complete with a graphic of fire and the word "HELL" in red.

In all of the noise caused by the traffic, and being that no one could really catch his message in the one minute that the traffic light was red, he really was engaging in an futile exercise, not to mention making Christian preachers look like nuts.

It was not a good witness to the gospel at all.

mozier

10. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

so why was jesus so blunt about hell?