1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tozer- Calvinism tends to be more stable than Arminianism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Jul 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

You do realise that MOST Cals would tend to see God having 2 Wills? determinitive and permissive? That he does NOT cause Evil and Sin, but does allow them in order to have His purposes done and accomplished?

IF we go by "inconsistent" than isn't the fact of trinity in question, as HOW can we understand without revelation from God that He is both 3 and 1?

2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I am going to have to ask for a "little more" explantion of this. If you mean that one can prove something by contradiction, that being assuming something false to be true thus implying the contrapositive, then OK. If on the otherhand you mean to imply that you can can prove "truth" through faulty or fallacious premises, well not sure I can get my "thoughts" around that. As for the attorney illustration, yes quite often, attorney's in defense of their position simply try to toss up as much "mud" as possible hoping either that something sticks, or that the issue is suffiently muddled in the minds of the jurors so as to imply "reasonable doubt".

I will also add that in mathematics deductive reasoning (general to specific) is the "easier" form of reasoning than inductive reasoning (specific to general).

#62 quantumfaith, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2011
  3. JesusFan

Just curious...

ANY here on BB ever figure out how the Church actually managed to stay spiritually strong and powerful without either systems of Calvinism or Armianism in the Church?

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What Church?

5. mandym

mandym New Member

Seriously?////////////

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahhhh, you wish then to completely understand the mind of God....LOL ...good luck with that....all I can say is Creature / Creator (add Job into the mix)

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have been all through it Jesus fan, you defend Calvinism with fiction. According to Total Spiritual Inability, no fallen man can do other than sin, he must always "choose" sin and never "seeks" God. That makes God the author of sin. You say God allows man to sin but does not allow him to seek God. Nonsense. Word games. Evasion. Fiction. As I said, never met a Calvinist, except a Hyper Calvinist, that admitted to his or her beliefs.
    Not one.

Next you try to justify pushing inconsistent positions because the Trinity which we all embrace, is a paradox. No sale. The doctrine of the Trinity fits with all scripture better than any other view. God predestining everything yet God not being the author of sin does not fit with most scripture. The non-Calvinist view is God either causes or allows whatsoever comes to pass, the Calvinist view is God ordains (predestines) whatsoever comes to pass. Now someone with the integrity of EWF would say no, but I already quoted Loettner, demonstrating my view of Calvinism represents the published view.

We have seen the dodge of God "allowing" people to sin, when he has prevented them from ever seeking forgiveness in their fallen state. Again, the non-Cal view is fallen man is predisposed to sin, and is corrupted, but some of the time fallen men seek God just as Paul describes in Romans chapter 7. Our non-Cal view is biblical, Calvinism is non-biblical and is based on nullifying scripture after scripture.

8. quantumfaith

I am sorry, I do not understand your question. Can you "quantify" :) it?

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea.....Universal? Baptist? RC ....what church

10. JesusFan

Church of the FirstBorn

All of those whose name was wriiten Book of life since before Foundation of the World!

just a side note: NOT named the "First baptist Church of heaven"

Bu the Bride and Body of Christ!

11. mandym

mandym New Member

talk about trying to be difficult

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The flaw rest with you my friend since you clearly do not understand predestination & so therefore Critique DoG . your whole desire is to make DoG something you can point to & criticize while pointing to yourself & patting yourself on the back & being right with God. Why even have dialog with you....clearly you already have all the answers evidenced by your last inflammatory comments ( Our non-Cal view is biblical, Calvinism is non-biblical and is based on nullifying scripture after scripture) .......could you be more full of yourself & more arrogant. I advise all my brethren to ignore you when you act that way so you can argue essentially to yourself.....which I fear you do anyway.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats your perspective....I merely asked a simple question. Care to answer it?

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You'll have to define "strong" and "powerful." Do you mean "strong" and "powerful" as the 7000 hiding from Jezebel and Ahab when it seemed all Israel had bowed the knee to Baal? My answer is God preserves a remnant. But if you mean "strong" and "powerful" as Josiah's reforms, then I have to question whether you really know church history.

Christ, and He alone, is the source of the life of the Church. No one is disputing that.

Your living body has systems: circulatory, nervous, digestive, etc. The body cannot live without them, yet none of them are the source of the life of the body. Theology has always been systematic. That's it's nature. It's the work God has given His ministers. Saying the body of Christ cannot live without a true systematic theology is not saying that systematic theology is the source of the life of the Church.

It hasn't always been called Calvinism, but that's what it's known as now after the dark ages of Romanism. Corrupt it, and death is near.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets see the Calvinist play book one more time.

1) Say the opponent does not understand Calvinism.

2) Say what is Calvinism is not Calvinism.

3) Say the motives of those who hold differing views are unChristian.

4) Say those who differ are driven by pride, arrogance and so forth.

5) Say posting something that differs from Calvinism is "inflamatory" and so forth.

6) Plead with others not to try to present what they believe is biblical, to avoid exposing the DoG is the light of truth.

And the beat goes on.

Calvinism is false doctrine, in that the TULI of the tulip are unbiblical.

16. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Romans 3:11. Also, it doesn't mean that a person is as evil as he can be.
    Not even close. Man is the author of his sin, not God.
    Never said that God doesn't allow him to seek God.

17. Winman

Winman Active Member

Calvinists say that God decrees all things come to pass, but does not cause all things that come to pass. I understand this distinction. God does not cause a man to commit murder, but he allows it by his decree, otherwise this murder could not take place. However, this proves free will exists, God is allowing the murderer to act upon his own motives, as no evil motives can possibly originate with God. If the motive to murder did not originate with God, it MUST have originated with the murderer. Therefore we see man is able to act according to his own motives and free will is affirmed.

18. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe his point would be that some of the "fallacies" are not necessarily inherently logically contradictory, if one does not make absolute statements.

The appeal to authority, for example, is logically unsound if one takes it absolutely. If one, however, appeals to an authority as support for an argument in a non-absolute sense, it is not necessarily fallacious.

It is reasonable to give greater weight to a statement made by an authority in the field, as long as you acknowledge that the statement is not necessarily true simply because the authority made it. It may be likely true, however, as an authority in a field would probably be knowledgeable about the topic.

Similarly, ad hominem arguments are not necessarily unsound if the issue is relevant to the topic, if not taken in an absolutely sense. For instance, if an alcoholic states, "Alcohol doesn't have any negative effects," then it is reasonable to bring up the fact that the individual is an alcoholic, as it would impact the objectivity of the statement.

#78 StefanM, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2011
  19. quantumfaith

Thank You :smilewinkgrin:

20. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Well stated Winman! :thumbs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.