1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Traditional Baptist = Calvinism?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by untangled, Aug 4, 2003.

1. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    hey Brothers and Sisters,

Wondering if someone could answer a question for me. Earlier I saw something posted that stated traditional baptist theology was calvinistic. In what way is it calvinistic? I would truly like to know. I have never heard this before.

In His Service,

Brooks

2. russell55

russell55 New Member

Well, there have always been Baptists who were not calvinistic; but the soteriology in some of the historic confessions is certainly calvinistic, and the founders of the SBC were calvinists.

3. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

There are no doubt a number of threads in the Baptist History forum which would help you understand the question.

If you'd care to explore those items, it would be helpful, and then you might come back with clairification questions.

Jeff

4. Gunther

Gunther New Member

When Baptists were emerging as a primary denomination in Europe, two groups sprang up around the same time. The first were Particular Baptists who were the calvinists. The second were General Baptists who were at the very least, not as calvinistic.

The terms general and particular refer to the extent of the atonement.

5. NarrowWay

NarrowWay New Member

Actually, the General Baptists came first. The first known General Baptist church was founded in Holland 1608 or 1609 by John Smyth. It wasn't "not as calvinistic" but rather believed that God's Grace is offered to all but only accepted by a few. (I don't know many Calvinists that would accept this belief as being Calvinist at all!)

The first Particular Baptist church was thought to have been founded around 1633 or 1638, according to some. The Particular Baptists were thought to have had the most influence on the early Baptist church, however.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/9285/PBAPT.HTM

6. John Wells

John Wells New Member

One of my favorite Calvinistic Baptists is Charles Spurgeon.
    For more biography of one of the greatest Baptists of all time:

Spurgeon's Biography

7. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Perhaps the General Baptists preceded the Particular Baptists, but the reformation inspired by Luther preceded them both. IMO, Luther wrote more clearly and strongly on election vs. free will than anything I've read by Calvin.

So it seems to me that whether or not Baptist history started out "Calvinist" or "Arminian" depends on whether you trace it only as far back as General Baptists or as far back as the reformation. Or here's an even more radical idea - how about tracing it back to Christ? The question would then be whether or not Jesus taught free will or election. ;)

8. John Wells

John Wells New Member

37All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. 44"No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day. (John 6:37,44)

I see no reason for doubt! ;)