1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trail Of Primary Bibles

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Jan 12, 2008.

1. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My first year of college 1976, I was unsaved but had questions so I bought a Bible, a KJV readers edition in genuine leather for $7.00 I struggled with this for about 3 months then bought a paper Living Bible. This (the LB) was what I used when I was saved in 1977.

My parents bought me a immatation leather covered RSV in mid 1977 which I used with the LB until I bought a hard cover NIV in 1980 (Sr. year in college). I never used the KJV and the RSV very seldom. I wore out the LB then used the NIV until 1990 when I bought a genuine leather NIV study Bible. I still have the KJ, the RSV is falling apart (workmanship, not from use) and my 1980 NIV is well worn but still in my inventory.

Today I have about 60 Bibles and NTs, of that 25 are study Bibles. Included in that are most of the popular translations/versions. My primary remains the NIV study Bible which has held up very well over the years. Second is a text only NKJV, 3rd is the MacArthur Study Bible NASB95 (love this Bible), 4th Nelson KJ Study Bible and 5th NET 1st edition bound.

I have to say though, if my house was on fire and I had time to get just (1) Bible, it would be the MacArthur Study Bible NASB95

Tom

2. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

KJ study Bible,NKJV study Bible,ESV is what I read and like now. I just sent for the Holman HCSB Apologetics study Bible through CBD today.:wavey:

3. tonyhipps

tonyhipps New Member

Past: KJV - NKJV - NASB77 - back to KJV - back to NKJV - NASB95

Present: NLTse & NKJV

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have shared this kind of sentiment a number of times on the BB.It's not a novel approach.I'm really enjoying a book by Philip W.Comfort Ph.D called Essential Guide To Bible Versions which I bought more two months ago.

Here are some things he said on pages 236,237.

Those who use one translation exclusively would be enriched if they used a few others.This is especially true for those who are King James Version enthusiasts.They would discover that their Bible reading would be infused with fresh life and new light if they read a modern version as well.
    In selecting a translation of the Bible,the reader should always make sure that the translation was based on the latest,most authoritative texts...Many of the modern versions reflect these standard texts;whereas translations such as the King James Version and even the New King James are based on an inferior Greek text.
    Finally,it must always be remembered that translations are nothing more than translations -- they are not the same as the Bible in the original languages.Not one translation has been "inspired" by God in the same way the original text was.
    ...I believe it is imperative for modern English readers to use several of the available English versions.By using different translations the reader can acquire a fuller understanding of the meaning of the original text.