1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Translating OT from Septuagint, 2

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by rlvaughn, Dec 29, 2020.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was going to add a summary to the other thread, but it got long and closed before I got around to it, so I am adding this here. I think before the subject took a hard turn, we may have discovered 3 English Bibles and Japanese Bible that gives preference to the Septuagint as the basis for the Old Testament translation. There are, of course, translations of the Septuagint for the purpose of having a translation of the Septuagint. I am surprised there are not a few more whole Bibles that prefer the Septuagint.

• 2001 Translation: An American English Bible
    • The Holy Bible containing the Old and New Covenant, translated by Charles Thomson, 1808
    • The Orthodox Study Bible, The Orthodox Study Bible Old Testament Project, 2008
    • Japanese Shin Kyoudouyaku

2. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is also one in English by by Sir Lancelot Brenton, which is more accurate in places than the one by Charles Thomson. Both Brenton and Thomson are just English translations of the Greek Septuagint, to make it accessable to the English reader. It is not they in any way "prefered" the LXX to the Hebrew, or anything else, this was not their intention.

3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suppose any translation that includes what we call the Apocrypha will depend somewhat on the LXX. It is my understanding that some of those texts are only available in Greek and not Hebrew.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Septuagint was not inspired, but useful to use to study the Greek NT, as the Apostles seem to be using it at times....

5. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not so!

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    you are arguing against yourself! You have already stated that the LXX is an UNINSPIRED work, so, how is it possible that the Lord would allow the Writers of the NT to employ an UNINSPIRED work, which is FALLIBLE?

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The author of that holds to full inspiration though!

9. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    ?