1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Translators Down Through the Ages

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Rippon2

Rippon2 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not 'free' but more in the functionally equivalent mode. Why don't you read Ernst Wendland's paper on the subject that John cited? If you did your own homework a lot more often you would not ask so many needless questions.

J.N. Darby had issues with Luther's translation. "Luther's is the most inaccurate I know." Darby translated the New Testament into many European languages. I don't necessarily think his opinion on this is that authoritative though.

2. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A fascinating read - thanks.
    At present (meaning, when I studied German in the 1960s) there are two main dialects, hoch Deutsch, common in the south and the dialect generally taught in the US, and platte Deutsch, used in the north and with a slightly greater resemblance to Dutch. I've no idea whether the dialects came into use after Luther's translation or whether one of them was a holdover from earlier.

• Like Like x 1
  3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wendland's essay, cited above, makes a case for Luther's version as being done with dynamic/functional equivalence. However, his article does not mention reader response theory, so without doing my own study of the version, I disagree. (Not that Wendland is not a far better scholar than I. :))

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good post. Thanks.

If I'm not mistaken, the Austrian version of German is somewhat different, so yes, there are dialects nowadays. I don't know about in Luther's time.

#84 John of Japan, Dec 29, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  5. Rippon2

Rippon2 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the six page introduction of the 2012 edition of the NLT there is no mention of 'reader's response.' And of course, the NLT is considered a mainly functionally equivalent translation.