1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Travelling long distance to Church, when there's Churches nearby?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Mikey, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So the question is should someone attend a Church far from where they live( say 2-3 hour drive away) rather than attending a local church that fulfils most of their views . The reason often given is that they a looking for a church that fits perfectly to their theological/doctrinal views.

This isn't for travelling far when there are no acceptable churches around.

Living so far away surely would mean that they are unable to have strong fellowship with the church. The Pastor would have difficulty in visiting them. etc.

Also by join local church they are able to serve church far more and the community.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This really depends on your criterion Mikey. Do you have small children and married, do you consider the trip worth the time, how can you be active in a church that far away, you know stuff like that.

I’ve found great solis in listening to broadcast sermons ... sometimes broadcast live from my far away church so I don’t make the trip... and if I joined them I know I’d having regular attendance.

3. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reason for choosing a church are many and each individual is different. But If you live so far away what sort of fellowship can you have and how are you able to serve that community.

sorry not quite sure what your saying here. Certainly much can be attained from listening to podcasts and sermons online. But this not a replacement of going to church in person.

4. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My personal opinion is that, if this is the church where you know God has placed you, it would be better to move closer than to find a new church for convenience sake.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mikey I was in a church for over 50 years, I started going with my folks at the age of seven and it is hard to measure the joy I found in the Lord in the church among the saints of God... This was a small family church and the one closes to our belief was a two hour drive... I watched our church in 50 years , dwindle down to a few, with death of members and other various problems but with cost of upkeep and various other expenses we had to close our doors.

Around this same time, I lost my wife, I watched die for four years to kidney cancer and I had a grown disabled grown son to raise... It came to a grown man age fifty-seven asking the Lord what now?... Little did I know the Lord had a plan because I sure didn't... So I put it in his hands... One month after I lost my wife I met another Christian lady and joined her church and we got married... The Lord found a place for my disabled son and he has got a beautiful life... This lady and I have been married over 14 years now... The Lord did not place me where I needed to go but he placed where he needed me to go... When you are raised in a small church in my humble opinion your view of Gods people is limited... He needed to expand my view... My advice to you is pray and surrender to the will of God and let go... Let the Lord place you because he knows where you need to go, even when you don't... Brother Glen:)

#5 tyndale1946, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well-said, Tyndale1946!

We don't wannabee like well-known KJVO fanatic Will Kinney who says he doesn't attend any nearby churches cuz they're not KJVO.

We are blessed to have a nearby Indy Fundy Baptist church nearby which doesn't follow any man-made doctrines of faith/worship, which is what I believe as well. But if something were to make it no longer available to us, I'd fervently ask GOD to lead me to where He wanted me to go.

While some might not find a "perfect" church to them, I believe if we let GOD do the leading, we'll end up where HE wants, be it "perfect" for us or not.

7. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that's where I ended up.

8. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a preacher friend of mine been preaching over 60 years... He grew up in Mississippi and loved the people and the church, where they ordained him... He wanted to preach where he grew up as he knew these people and loved them... An opportunity presented came up in California but he told the Lord I don't want to go to California... I don't know anybody in California... He fought, and fought, and fought it but ended up where the Lord needed him to go California... Not where he thought he needed to stay... Jonah didn't want to go to Ninevah either... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But I'm happy to be in my not perfect place. I'm growing, and I pray that I'm helping.

And I praise God that His preparation of me has so far not involved being tossed overboard.
    :Biggrin

10. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah!... You don't want to end up in the whale!... Brother Glen:D

11. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, he's taken a beating for his convictions, that's for sure. ;)

I think I might be in the middle of fighting Him, but it's hard to say...we'll see.
    For now, there are a myriad of reasons I don't go to church at the moment...perhaps the Lord will show me where to go in my area.

The only one I know of that "fits the bill" wants to re-baptize me to identify with its teachings....which I already believe and which I wasn't aware, when I was baptized 40 years ago, that I was identifying with anyone but my Saviour and His words.

There's a part of me that hates traditional churches, mostly because I see them set up as businesses or country clubs that take in dues and require "membership", rather than families that meet each other's needs and pray for them...but that would take up a whole 'nother thread to discuss.

Me, too at times. I like Free Grace Radio, select preachers off Sermon Audio and the occasional YouTube videos.

May God bless you all.

#11 Dave G, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  12. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Praise the Lord that you live in a time and a place where there is this sort of choice.

13. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist