1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trial date set in first of five Missouri Baptist lawsuits

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, May 14, 2007.

1. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good reminder Salamander of the many faceted ministry of Jesus Christ.:thumbs:

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The point concerns authority, and there is an obvious connection. What authority does the church operate under? If a church incorporates it is placing itself under the authority of the State government. It identifies itself in its legal papers as " ......church, a corporation of the State of ......"

If a church incorporates to protect individual members from lawsuits from other Christians or non-Christians then it agreeing to follow the rules of those States concerning incorporated entities.

Are you saying if a former member sued your church and you personally as a member of it, you would not use the protection afforded by State law to prevent yourself from being held personally responsible for any judgment?

The Missouri Baptist Convention is incorporated, as well as the entities that have changed their charters, in violation of their charters and against the will of the majority of Missouri Baptists that have voted for the conservative change. The Missouri Baptist Convention has chosen to use the protection provided when it incorporated.

Although I believe the lawsuit is a mistake, I can see where good Christians can disagree with me.
    By "good" I mean genuine Christians that believe they are acting in the best interest of the gospel and cause of Christ, and within the liberty granted them in scripture.

peace to you:praying:

3. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Just reading your signature and figured you were serious about it.

4. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not from Missouri, and have no dogs in this fight at all. Even as a member of the SBC and an ordained minister... But the above statement by gb, implying that to be "conservative" is to be directly at odds with the way Jesus lived and taught, is repugnant and offensive.

I know extremists and legalists who are just as offensive, but those of the liberal persuasion who charge conservatives in this way are just as unbiblical and uncharitable.

JDale

5. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ANd that ALWAYS refers to "fundamentalists" and "conservatives?!" Gimme a break.

JDale

6. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not true. Sadducees were actually the liberals of the day theologically -- the Pharisees were the so called "Fundamentalists." The liberal Sadducees controlled the temple and religious institutions of the day -- much like many denominations of our time.

JDale

7. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Once again, let me know when you tell your entire community that should someone vandalize or steal from your church property you will not be taking any legal action.

Someone said this a good example as to why we should avoid larger organizations? Perhaps, but what would you do if a church member declared that the church van was now their own personal vehicle, and then they sold it?

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The liberals and fundamentalists lie in the same bed just on opposite ends. They are alike in many ways.

Think about the very definition of conservative. It says that a person is not action oriented and traditional. I did not know that the church was ever called ot be traditional. The traditional church is lukewarm. The very nature of the gospel calls for action and certainly not what we see in MO. Those in hte SBC who are watching are conservative. They say and do nothing. What we see in MO is exactly what conservativism is in the SBC leaders today. Jesus described it as vomit. It is nothing more than a "conservative" theology lived out as practical atheism. If those folks really feared God they would not spit in the face of God with their actions. The conservatives in scripture would be the Pharisees. Jesus did things that bothered the religious folks of the day. He offened their conservatism and also called them white washed tombs.

Jesus called for a Christianity to do right and stand for righteousness. That requires action. How is watching the SBC taking a stand for righteousness?

9. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent point.

JDale

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

My understanding is that it is the other way around and that the Sadducees only believed the Torah and not the rest of the OT. They were the legalists.

11. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And again I say, that is the most absurd thing I've heard -- today.

Conservatives don't have an exclusive deal on the white-washed tombs market. In fact, the entire "institutional church" -- liberal, conservative, orthodox, catholic, protestant -- are all made up of HUMANS. This kind of garbage comes from corrupted human hearts that do not characterize Christ or what He intends His Body to be.

But another question arises -- which type of theology do you accept? Biblical, scriptural, respecting verbal-plenary inspiration -- or liberal, make it up as we go relative beliefs?

JDale

12. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They rejected the Prophets, only accepting the Torah, that's true. They rejected life after death, angels, much of the supernatural, etc. That would classify as liberal. They believed only the ritual aspects and traditions as they related to Jewish beliefs. Anything else was nonsense to them.

The Pharisees believed the Law and the Prophets -- and even ADDED their oral traditions to them (fence laws) which Jesus condemned them for. They were the "Fundamentalists" (Legalists) of their time.

JDale

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are right it does not matter what party you are to be corrupt. Most likely if you claim a party you are already corrupted to some degree and may not know it.

Christ never exhorted Christians to be conservative. He said, "Follow me. . . " Following him does not mean conservative, liberal, or moderate. It means one thing--follow Him. In fact 1 Cor. speaks loudly against a party spirit. I am not of the conservative movement or any other movement. My aim is to follow Christ not compare myself to some party. If I assocaite with some people and they choose to go down the wrong road that is where I stop. I can only they are going down a wrong road by knowing the right road. It is like the old question? How do oyu tell a crooked stick? By laying a straight one next to it.

In 1998 the SBC put out a magazine to parents in the churches. One day my daughter who was in the fourth grade was reading it and noticed an article that was not quite right theologically. After I read it, I agreed. I contacted the other pastors in the asssociation and all of us pulled it from the shelves. A conservative would have said it is SBC and the SBC is conservative and agrees with my theology. Therefore it must be right. A follower of Christ would call it what it is. A follower of Christ does not relax and put his trust in people but in Christ. A follower of Christ examines everything to make sure it agrees with scripture.

If you claim to be a conservative then who would you claim to follow? Where did Christ ever make a claim to conservatism. Jesus was not a Sadducee or a Pharisee. Which party was he?

If you read your Bible there were many times when Jesus went against the Pharisees and Sadducees. So again I ask which party was he. If you follow Jesus most likely you will be shot at by the liberals, conservatives, fundamentalists and other party group. A party spirit divides and Christ unites. What I find in each party is a consensus of pride. They are proud to be of some particular group. I fail to find anywhere in scripture where Jesus sided with any theological or any other party except what God wanted.

If the name of the party changed would your theology change or would it stay the same?

Today we have many brands of conservatives, liberals and fundamentalists.
    If you say you are a conservative which brand are you?

Are you a conservative who is evangelical? Are you a conservative who lives like a practical atheist? Are you a conservative who lives like a moderate? Are you a conservative that lives like a liberal? Are you a 4 point Calvinist? Are you a five point Calvinist? Are you a six point Calvinist? Are you a three point Calvinist? Are you a three point Calvinist and 2 point Arminian? Are you a Calvinist that never shares his faith? Are you a dispensationalist? Are you a premillenial dispensationalist? Are you a historical premillenialist? Do you believe in baptizing by dunking the person three times or once? Are you a southern Baptist? Are you a northern Baptist? How about a confederate or yankee Baptist? There are many more.

So, which brand of conservative are you?