1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trip to China

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by PastorGreg, Aug 9, 2005.

1. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Recently returned from a 3 1/2 week trip to China. What an awesome experience! Was teaching ESL at a university and ended up actually teaching professors from various depts. Had a chemist, a physicist, several engineers, a pharmacist, a handful of law professors, some computer geeks, a micro-biologist... Pretty intimidating at first, but the Lord turned it into an amazing time to share.

Of course, they're taught that no intelligent person is a Christian, that no educated person believes in God, etc. None of them had ever met a Christian, at least to interact in any way. Many of them had never heard the word, "Bible," and none had heard the plan of salvation. Part of teaching ESL is often also teaching about American culture, as was the case for me. Also, when they found out that I am a pastor, they had a ton of questions - what a rewarding, fulfilling, heartbreaking opportunity. Talk about hunger for truth in the eyes of empty souls...

2. lifeandliberty

lifeandliberty New Member

PastorGreg,

My fifteen yr.old son and I went to China for two weeks in May. We, with nine other brothers, took in 700 lbs. of Bibles and about 600 lbs of Gospel tracts. It was an awesome experience for us. We hope to go back next May.

Pray for revival in China!

"It will not do to say that you have no special call to go to China. With these facts before you and with the command of the Lord Jesus to go and preach the gospel to every creature, you need rather to ascertain whether you have a special call to stay at home."
    Hudson Taylor

Life and Liberty Ministries

3. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    L&L,

It is truly an amazing experience. Great that you and your son got to go together. My daughter had actually spent two months over there last fall, so I had to go to keep up with the kids! [​IMG]

4. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Of course, they're taught that no intelligent person is a Christian, that no educated person believes in God, etc.

Lately, many Americans are taught this too.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't THAT the truth. We went in to China in 96 and I had Jn 3:16 lettered in Chinese as a large sign on my briefcase. Stood in Tienemen Square and NO ONE came near, looked at it - all diverted eyes and moved away.

In the 70's when I smuggled bibles into Eastern Europe and USSR I was MOBBED by people wanted to talk and learn and know. China is a very different culture.

6. lifeandliberty

Check out CCGM

This is the ministry we worked with when we went to China.

7. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

Thanks for the link lifeandliberty. I would like to go on a short term mission for 10 days to 2 weeks to Asia next year. I am looking at several places. I hope before 2005 the Lord will open a door so I can prepare for 2006. I would appreciate all your prayers or advice. [​IMG]

8. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I beg to differ. I don't know about the other communist countries that you mentioned, but in China, the country where a singular madman pulled off the Cultural Revolution, there is still that fear of imprisonment and torture if you find yourself even implicated in "anti-communist" activities. No one can openly, publically show interest in religion. It's just too risky.

But there is definitely a hunger for the Word! People who have been spiritually starved so long [​IMG] ...

But missionaries have to be very careful as to how openly they conduct their activities. You may just be leading a spy into your congregation and everybody will get arrested.

Passing out tracts on the streets is the fastest way to get yourself kicked out of the country permanently, thereby rendering yourself useless for future missionary work in China.

9. lifeandliberty

We went in as "tourists". Each night for two weeks, we literature dropped a different town or villiage. It is very dangerous for a Chinese Christian to do this. We put gospel literature at or under thousands of doorways. For a short term missions trip, it is a great and fruitful way to spend a week or two.

If you are caught, the penalty is a scolding, a fine or possibly revocation of your visa and deportation.

Since the risk is minimal for us Americans, we can do alot of the sowing that could cost a Chinese Christian his freedom or life.

The monetary cost is small also. It cost me about $1,400.00 for airfare and all expenses (food, transportation, lodging) for a 14 day trip.

Check out our China Mission Report at:
    China Mission Report

10. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What kind of group is this? They don't have any kind of a doctrinal statement there and a couple of things seemed to hint at maybe charismatic leanings. I'd like to learn more about them.

11. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, thanks l&l for the link! It makes me so heartened to know that there are people who want to reach the Chinese for Christ.

PastorGreg, if the Baptists are not going, thank God somebody IS! :(

However, I wonder what was the content of those tracts and what possible follow up there could be for someone who read it and wants to be saved/ find out more... etc.

12. lifeandliberty

What kind of group is this? They don't have any kind of a doctrinal statement there and a couple of things seemed to hint at maybe charismatic leanings. I'd like to learn more about them. </font>[/QUOTE]This ministry has one goal. To get the Gospel to the every city, town and small villiage in China. One of the main projects CCGM works on is mapping out routes for foreigners to take to unreached areas to distribute gospel literature. They have a small full-time staff and hundreds of volunteers. They live sacrificially and raise there own support. They require no money to take part in an outreach. They just ask that you bring a willingness to work hard and a heart for the Chinese people. The staff includes Americans, Australians and Canadians. These are the ones that I know of.

13. lifeandliberty

The tracts we distribute are basic salvation tracts. Each tract contains three separate messages. I have read through the tract (in English). It is basic but covers many of the questions that might be raised by those who are receiving their first introduction to Christianity.

They speak on:
    repentance, sin, forgiveness, the atoning work of Christ, evolution, etc. etc.

Each tract contains several mailing addresses and e-mail addresses for those interested to contact for more information. The contacts are Chinese Christians who are now outside of China. If the person wants follow-up, it is arranged with Chinese house-church believers. The response has been tremendous over the years.

14. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What kind of group is this? They don't have any kind of a doctrinal statement there and a couple of things seemed to hint at maybe charismatic leanings. I'd like to learn more about them. </font>[/QUOTE]This ministry has one goal. To get the Gospel to the every city, town and small villiage in China. One of the main projects CCGM works on is mapping out routes for foreigners to take to unreached areas to distribute gospel literature. They have a small full-time staff and hundreds of volunteers. They live sacrificially and raise there own support. They require no money to take part in an outreach. They just ask that you bring a willingness to work hard and a heart for the Chinese people. The staff includes Americans, Australians and Canadians. These are the ones that I know of. </font>[/QUOTE]This is still not a doctrinal statement... I gather the organisation is ecumenical?

15. lifeandliberty

By ecumenical, do you mean open arms to any heretical group? If that is what you are asking, the answer is no.

This is a "Christian" ministry. They Work with Baptists, Methodists, or Presbyterians etc. if the indivividual is "saved" and has a desire to distribute gospel literature to a lost nation.