1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trump Administration Mulls a Unilateral Tax Cut for the Wealthy

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by FollowTheWay, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about getting rid of the excess bloated junk bulit into the Fed Budget?

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's right - the poor will be paying the exact same amount - which is ZERO dollars

Now, I realize that many poor and lower middle class folks will say they do pay taxes becasue the
    govt takes out taxes every week from their pay check.
    REALITY check -- you are talking about TAX WITHHOLDING = loaning your money to the govt with free interest.

If you get 100% ( or in some cases 115 +% of your withholding back - you do NOT pay taxes.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    so if a rich person pays - say $25,000 less in taxes - then he can spend it on purchases - which helps the economy - which makes new jobs - which means more people paying taxes - which means less govt handouts.

4. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ypu pay for the wall or the rich man pays for it.

5. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To spend more money a fiscally conservative Congress would have to either cut something else or raise taxes. Of course, they're coming after Social security and medicare so I suppose the elderly will have to pay for this useless wall.

6. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean cut the military to stop them from wasting billions of $? That would be great.

7. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The effect of government spending is certainly an important topic in economics.

But it doesn't answer the question.

8. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm talking about really wealthy people (top 0.1%). They won't spend the $25K. They'll invest it to make the inequality gap greater. (Look at my chart.)

9. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you want rich people to spend all of their money so that they get closer in wealth to the poor?

If you like that, just read some newspaper articles about poor people who win the lottery. They have a knack for reducing their wealth gap after a few short years.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We ned the Military, I was thinking mor eof the way over bloated social programs!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. I want a fairer tax policy and fairer wages for the middle class so it doesn't disappear in America.

12. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. The very wealthy sell $250M in stock taxed at LT capital gains rates while most of us deal in amounts like $50K or less. The wealthy sell $100M homes while the rest of us sell $250K homes.

13. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the income information I was looking for.
    Never mind the 1 percent. Let's talk about the 0.01 percent.

The United States has 325 million people—in 160 million households, as viewed by the Internal Revenue Service. That means 1.6 million households fall into the 1 percent category.

The threshold for membership in the 1 percent in 2014 was an annual household income of $386,000, excluding any capital gains, according to Chicago Booth’s Eric Zwick. That’s more than seven times the median household income that year of $54,000. The 0.1 percent, 160,000 families, in 2014 made at least $1.5 million a year. The top 0.01 percent, 16,000 families, had annual income of $7 million.

Income share is another way to assess how the strata of the 1 percent are doing.

Between 1995 and 2015, the income share (including capital gains) of the top 1 percent rose from roughly 15 percent to 22 percent, according to Piketty and Saez’s data. The income share of the top 0.1 percent rose from 6 percent to 11 percent, and the income share of the top 0.01 percent rose from 2.5 percent to about 5 percent. In terms of percentage points, the top 1 percent’s rose the most. In terms of the rate of increase, the 0.01 percent’s did.

After-tax income tells a similar story. For the top 1 percent, it nearly tripled between 1980 and 2014, according to research by Paris School of Economics’ Thomas Piketty and UC Berkeley’s Saez and Zucman. For the top 0.1 percent, it almost quadrupled in the same period. And post tax income for the 0.01 percent rose 423 percent. Post tax income for the entire US population rose by only 61 percent during this time, the study demonstrates.

****************************************************************************************************************
    The story is in the last paragraph. For the U.S. as a whole after-tax income rose 61% from 1980 to 2014 while the after-tax income of the 0.1% it quadrupled and rose 423% for the top 0.01%. The real comparison should be the income growth of say the lower 90%. If I remember correctly that was about flat but that statistic is not in this article.

14. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a suspicion that it's probably because we've spent the last 20 years loading people down with student loan debt and allowing them to finance homes they couldn't afford.

15. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Realize that you are now counting all sources of income, not just wages.

Probably 1,000 of these people are professional athletes and/or executives in pro sports. Another 1,000 are entertainers or in the entertainment industry. Then there are real estate developers, investment executives, high flying lawyers, older, wealthy medical professionals, etc.

Explain how these people are getting rich by taking money from the lower classes.

Interesting endpoints. 1980 to 2014. The two worst recessions in US history. Why not measure from 1983 to 2017?

Anyway, post tax income increasing 61% for everyone over a span of 34 years is an average of 1.8% per year. After tax. That's not very good, but it's not terrible, especially with two deep recessions included.

Impossible for it to be flat! Man, learn some math, would you?! Your article identifies 160,000,000 households in the US with 160,000 households as being in the top 0.1%. It also says the top 0.1% increased wages 4X. So for your assertion that 90% of households had flat incomes would mean that 9.9% was responsible for the 61% increase in wages. That means only 15.8 million households out of 160 million households saw wage increases in 34 years!

Do you realize how silly that is?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay - if you were King - with full power - what would be your fair tax plan?

17. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm talking in real (inflation adjusted) terms. But I found a better article and will post it. Now you post YOUR data.