1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Trump declines to state whether or not he will accept the results of election

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Baptist Believer, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the third debate, Mr. Trump was asked if he would accept the results of the election. He refused to commit himself, while all of the people around him (his VP candidate, the campaign spokespersons, his daughter Ivanka, etc.) claimed, and still claim, that he will.

I saw this moment as the final nail in the coffin for his campaign since he is undermining the American principle of the peaceful transfer of power - the foundation of democracy. I'm sure other's here disagree.

For those who disagree:

1.) In what way is this a positive position to take for Mr. Trump in terms of his supporters? Are his supporters interested in taking control of the nation by force?

2.) Why would Trump's people say one thing and Trump say another? Doesn't that make Trump look unhinged and/or his campaign schizophrenic?

3.) Do you think he misunderstood the question? Do you believe he thought the question was really asking if he would quickly give a concession speech as soon as the networks called the race instead of waiting until the votes are counted?

4.) Does this indicate a strategy of protesting the election in every possible way (at the expense of the nation) to support a different long-term goal?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trump does not believe in Democracy!

3. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for your comment, but I'm interested in hearing from his supporters. Surely they have some insight that those of us who are not voting for Trump have about this situation.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a non issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps it is a non-issue to you or to Trump voters, but not to others.

But if it is such a non-issue, why does his campaign staff members, family, and VP contradict Him?

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not a Trump supporter, but....

Didn't Gore challenge his election results? What makes this different?

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sigh, just because he wouldn't be cornered on it in the debate and others have given a clear statement does not mean there has been a contradiction.

I am not a Trump supporter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's why I added the third question. Gore didn't really challenge the results, but instead asked for recounts and disputed the methods by which votes were counted.

I'm wondering if Trump misunderstood the question... As I understand it, the question was not asking whether he would immediately concede if the election were close and there was a bit of doubt as to the winner, but whether he would accept the result of the election.

9. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not a clear contradiction, but an unwillingness to say what the others freely say. And how was asking a simple question "cornering" him?

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh that is, in fact, challenging the results. He and Democrats in florida were trying to create votes that did not exist. Remember the "hanging chads" dimpled chads" only a liberal would think up something like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So??? Not a contradiction at all in any way shape or form.

I'm not sure how you are defining "cornering him" but I see it as trying to get him to take a firm position on it at that moment. Cornering him.

12. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a contradictory message.

But if you need a victory, then you can say you "caught me."

By that logic, all questions involve "cornering" the one being questioned.

Now Rev, you have claimed you are not a Trump supporter. That's fine. But this thread is for those who actually do support Trump. I want to hear from them.

13. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trump just wanted publicity of any kind. He is a showman and a tv star of sorts.

He should have said, in my opinion, that JFK cheated Nixon in Illinois in 1960 but Nixon set it aside for the good of the nation and that Illinois is probably still a crooked state where cops prefer a beating to self-defense which triggers a nationwide attack on cops and where Dems rioted to stop a GOP rally.

Of course in Indiana Dems vandalized a GOP headquarters, but then Evan Bayh may be losing. And where was it that the GOP was firebombed by the Dems?

I think that the clock is running out on Trump and that Hillary will be the new crook--I mean cook.

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Seriously? One of the two primary candidates for President declines to commit to the peaceful transfer of power and it's a nonissue?:Cautious

This is the United States.

But then again, his comments are consistent with the type of world dictators who have jailed their opponents after an election.:Whistling

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Big deal.:Rolleyes

Just like Obama and hillary, he doesn't get a choice.

16. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gore didn't challenge the results. The margin of victory was so small, less than 0.1%, that according to Florida state law it triggered a mandatory recount.

Trump didn't put any qualifier on his statement, i.e. "unless there are unusual circumstances or reports of voting irregularities, I will not contest the results." No, he said he would keep us in suspense.

Challenging election results with scant evidence of tampering is something third world strongmen do. Since Trump says the U.S. resembles a third world country and he admires dictators I guess we should not be surprised.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

17. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Sure it's a big deal except for the Trumpeteers who are always looking to excuse his foolishness.

His supporters are talking about "taking her out" and he has spoken of the 2nd Amendment types taking matters into their own hands.

Now I guess yall think the rest of the world is stupid. But again, this man has shown again and again who he is. I believe him. Not sure why yall don't?

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is the bottom line-
    Suppose an election district has 900 voters and 100% of the 975 votes go for Clinton -

In this case I would have a problem accepting the election results.

19. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I forget why the Florida recount was in areas controlled totally by Dems?

20. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not that simple. Supposing that was the only anomaly in the election and it was in a small county in California. Still going to reject the entire results of the US election based on one county in a deep, deep, blue state?

The unasked question is--what about Republican congressional candidates that win in states that Trump loses in? Are their results going to be questioned as well?

• Winner Winner x 1