1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trump vs #Covid19

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Agent47, Feb 28, 2020.

1. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. Gates was one of the investors in this company. He didn't own it or control it.
    Cash-strapped Aquion Energy Inc., an innovative battery storage startup backed by Bill Gates and other high-profile investors, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court of the District of Delaware and laid off 80% of its workforce, the company disclosed March 8.

2. Buying Berkshire Hathaway
    Warren Buffett’s failures: 15 investing mistakes he regrets
    In a 2010 interview with Becky Quick on CNBC, Warren Buffett said the dumbest stock he ever bought was — drum roll, please — Berkshire Hathaway.

Buffett explained that he first invested in Berkshire Hathaway in 1962 when it was a failing textile company. He thought he would make a profit when more mills closed, so he loaded up on the stock. Later, the firm tried to chisel Buffett out of more money. A spiteful Buffett bought control of the company, fired the manager and tried to keep the textile business running for another 20 years. Buffett estimated that this vindictive move cost him $200 billion.

The investment advice here is not to let emotions factor into financial decisions.

Buffett did gain controlling interest in Berkshire Hathaway.when it was a textile company but didn't
    found it or run it personally. Obviously, he pivoted it into a very successful holding company for
    his other ventures.

Berkshire Hathaway | Overview, History, & Facts
    An investment group led by Buffett took full control of the company in 1965. Berkshire Hathaway liquidated its textile operations in 1985, by which time it was well-established as a holding company for Buffett’s other investments and corporate acquisitions.

I don't think either one of these situations represents the same kind of personal involvement that Trump had in his bankrupted companies.

I didn't look at Mark Cuban but the statement that "Every wealthy business person has bankruptcies" is simply not true.

2. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You might ought to stop repeating those lies and deception. Trump did take responsibility when he closed down travel from China, a move that other countries should have imitated immediately. Instead many idiotically hollered "Racism!" along with our MSM. Still, China is ultimately responsible for the outbreak and the pandemic.

For Trump to take full responsibility in the US and protect people from themselves he would have to declare martial law, etc. Hopefully, it won't have to come to that nationally, though some areas may have to be treated that way. Reportedly some Italian mayors have been rather fiery in their own admonitions, even using terms like "police" and "flamethrower" in the same sentence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed. Almost any statement that begins with the qualifier "every" is likely not true. However, it's easy to say, "Many wealthy people have had businesses go bankrupt".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really doubt Russia is, they re claiming just a few hundred cases. And China, there's all sorts of rumors flying around about them, and, like most CT, there's some basis for the whackery - 20+M fewer cellphones in China, Tedstate claims there's a bunch of burial urns in use:

Here's Another Sign China May be Lying About True Death Toll

I doubt there's 21 million or so dead Chinese, that would be too many for them to downplay, but I'd really like to know what their death rate is because NYC is getting hit hard.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What the young whipper snapper doesn't know, probably because he hasn't walked the face of this earth long enough to know, is that wealthy people take big risks. That is how they become wealthy. Along with big risks comes big failures. No one becomes wealthy without failures a long the way.

6. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    That 20+M is certainly higher than anyone should want to believe. If I understand correctly, cell phones are required in China for the purposes of tracking citizens. Going silent isn't an option.

In any case, the Communist Chinese cannot be trusted. They are certainly downplaying this to a very large degree. They have a huge financial stake in the outcome of this. By all rights, they should be cut off from the world community, but that cannot happen now without serious repercussions worldwide. However, the US needs to wisely disentangle from them as quickly and completely as possible.

And yes, the only way Russia could have so few confirmed cases is if they aren't testing, or are lagging way behind in getting and reporting the results.

7. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then that would be the point: obvious truth doesn't make sense to people closed to it.
    Oh, that lie again, which naturally goes along with buying into the actual hoax, multiplying its effect.
    So now all of a sudden you know who the WHO is? If you did, then why pose such a stupid question?

8. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing tangible to refute my post. If you want to call it stupid then you are going to have to try and tell me why.

9. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    Refute what post? You asked a most stupid question given the current political climate, and I briefly pointed out why it was so stupid. You said the explanation made little sense to you, but offered no reasons why. There is nothing to refute. You act like you know something about the WHO, but don't sound like it. Here is a bit about their take on citing a pandemic.

What does it mean when the WHO declares a pandemic?

“Pandemic is not a word to use lightly or carelessly. It is a word that, if misused, can cause unreasonable fear, or unjustified acceptance that the fight is over, leading to unnecessary suffering and death.”

[Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO’s director-general] said calling the situation a pandemic doesn’t change his organization’s assessment of the threat posed by this coronavirus or the response needed by health authorities.

He said the global organization came to the conclusion that the outbreak has moved into a pandemic stage because the number of cases of COVID-19 outside China has increased 13-fold and the number of affected countries has tripled.

There are now more than 118,000 cases in 114 countries, and 4,291 people have died, according to the WHO.

The WHO has final say on whether worldwide epidemics have reached pandemic proportions. But that is not a cut-and-dry issue. SARS in 2003 was never declared a pandemic, though it spread to 26 countries because it was relatively quickly contained.​

10. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The WHO said that and the President said this.

Feb. 26: “And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done.” — Trump at a press conference.

Full disclosure, I think it’s got his attention now and really since the beginning of March. January and February...not so much.

Ironically, an unlikely hero in all this is Tucker Carlson who is one of the few at Foxnews who saw this thing gaining momentum much sooner than his self defeating colleagues. So much so that he was apparently tipped off by a medical professional which compelled him to reach out tot he President. Normally I’d be cynical at how often Trump takes a cue from Foxnews but in this case...whatever it takes I guess.

#70 Use of Time, Mar 28, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  11. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This head of WHO has Chinese connections. Johns Hopkins is medically better than WHO in all respects.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your question was super stupid for a well-informed adult. Your inability to grasp why is entirely on you. No one else can fix that. Your responses have added nothing but non sequitur and deflection.

Trump made the extraordinary decision to close off travel from China, and was right to do so. Every country leader should have promptly acted similarly. Someone bolder and braver than Trump could have acted even earlier. Given how the others reacted, Trump is in a much higher class than any of the others.

Trump was right not to outright say there was a possibility of a pandemic coming. The WHO could have done far more as the worldwide health influence to slow the spread.

However, ultimately the responsibility for this pandemic is on the Communist Chinese regime.

And ultimately, it doesn't matter what Trump does or doesn't do, the Dem MSM and the Dems in general will try to make him guilty of anything and everything, and their panting public will eat it up.

• Like Like x 1
  13. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    cmg, please forgive me if I sounded like I'm a proponent of the WHO. I'm sure you are right. I was just trying to talk some sense into those who tend to reject sound and competent sources by quoting someone they seem to respect. :Rolleyes :Wink

14. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Biden said rhat Trump is racist for stopping Chinese travel because of the Chinese flu. But then Biden and his son havemade a lot of money on China.

• Like Like x 1
  15. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I got your drift okay. :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where you missed the boat is that Hannity & Ingram state up front that they are opinion shows & not news shows.

17. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Precisely, the MSM will never, NEVER admit to their own "opinionated news" reporting!! Very obvious tho to anybody with commonn sense!!!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obviously Trump can’t declare it a pandemic, if that’s what your in the weeds about. Downplaying the virus wasn’t helpful though but I think things have improved remarkably.

You keep mentioning China like that’s it. Problem fixed. Great move shutting down flights to China. Bad move saying everyone could get tested.

"Anybody that needs a test gets a test; they're there, they have the tests, and the tests are beautiful,"

This was never true.

Good move bringing in Dr. Fauci. Things are improving and the messaging has dramatically improved.

Bad move,
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...nto-his-coronavirus-decisions/?outputType=amp

Playing spiteful games right now. This isn’t leadership. This is childishness.

So some good and some bad.

#78 Use of Time, Mar 29, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  19. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The irony in this post right now is hilarious and somehow you’ve managed to torpedo your own argument against me with this one. Well done.

20. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1