1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Trump Will Ask Congress for Money to Build the Wall

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Baptist Believer, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm shocked, shocked that he's going to ask Congress, not Mexico, for the money.

A GAO estimate puts the price tag of 700 miles of new barriers at $6.5 million per mile for a single layer wall and $10.4 million per mile for a double layer wall. Add another $4.2 billion to reinforce 400 miles of existing fencing as requested by Customs and Border officials.

So anywhere from $8.7 billion to $11.5 billion.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

#2 InTheLight, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  3. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to learn how to do proper intrumpretations concerning how and when Mexico is paying for the wall. – hint: they start paying for it after it’s built.

IOWs the $150 Billion Obama wasted by giving it to Iran would have built a mighty fine wall several times over.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it is built, you and I will pay for the wall...uh, fence. It is a fat chance that Mexico will reimburse us.

5. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Never trust an initial estimate. Add to that unforeseen costs and waste.

6. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure wish this plan whereby we pay for the wall then go collect the money from Mexico would have been spelled out from the get-go. After all, it was this wall building, Mexico paying plan that catapulted Trump to the front of a field of sixteen GOP candidates.

Oh, and you say Mexico "starts paying for it after it's built". Do they pay for the whole thing or do they pay only for a commerorative gate and call it good. Asking for a friend.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WASHINGTON (AP) — President-elect Donald Trump on Friday tweeted that Mexico will reimburse American taxpayers for a new border wall and that U.S. money spent will be for the "sake of speed."

His tweet came as congressional Republicans and his top aides consider a plan to ask Congress to ensure money is available in U.S. coffers for the wall without passing any new legislation. Instead, they would rely on existing law that already authorizes fencing and other technology along the southern border.

The potential approach was disclosed Thursday by two congressional officials and a senior transition official with knowledge of the discussions; all spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

Trump said in a tweet early Friday: "The dishonest media does not report that any money spent on building the Great Wall (for sake of speed), will be paid back by Mexico later!" Mexico's president and other senior officials have repeatedly insisted that Mexico won't pay for a wall.

During his campaign, Trump repeatedly told voters if elected he would build a wall along the U.S. southern border and make Mexico pay for it.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/4abfe7e4b4be44c19d53c215fdb44438

8. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I never cared if Mexico paid for it or not. I am just hopeful that it will finally get done. It was suppose to be done decades ago. Congress can find the money, they sure do blow it on many wasteful projects. Hopefully Trump can put a stop to that as well, then we will have plenty to spend on what we really should be focused on. How much does PP get for slaughtering babies? We could use that money. And then there is the millions given to go nowhere green projects, and the list is huge where we can get lots of money. Who needs Mexico's money?

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me neither. It needs to get done no matter who pays for it. That said there is no changing of minds here. Nearest I can tell Trump is doing just what he said he would on this issue.

10. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are $19 trillion in debt. But I suppose we can just print more money now that we have a worthy government program from Dear Leader.

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So at hundreds of rallies when Trump held his hand up to his ear and asked, "who's gonna pay for the wall?", hundreds of thousands of people were actually yelling, "WE ARE, WITH OUR TAX DOLLARS!!"

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you took steaver's post cut it out of context and glossed right by the part that gave suggestions on how to pay for the wall without just printing more money. Do you believe this was a right and fair way to treat his post? Do you believe what you cut out and then your response correctly reflects what he said?

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we build the wall upfront and the Trump gets the money back via Mexico does that still qualify us as having paid for the wall ourselves?

14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. Because he suggested taking the money spent on Planned Parenthood and green projects and using that to pay for the wall. You might be able to build 50 miles of wall with that money. Only 650 miles left.

At $19 trillion in debt, ANY spending is printing money.

15. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used to have a signature that said something about the amount of rationalization that Christians will engage in to support Trump. Wonder where that went...

16. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not a Trump fan, but it was always going to have to be appropriated first. Getting money from Mexico in advance----there just isn't a mechanism for this.

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really? That's all you got? I say this with all honesty. Lately it does not seem you want to have rational discussion. You only want to be right at all costs. It also appears here that you really cannot give a reasoned response to my question and still see yourself of be seen as right so you stoop to posts like this.

Let me repeat what I said over and over again prior to the election. I did not support Trump because of his immoral lifestyle. I have always supported many of the issues he has. I will continue to support those issues. If it make you feel better to call me a Trump supporter then you go right ahead. That is your dishonesty and poor behavior not mine. I support the building of the wall no matter what it takes.

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well it does not reflect what he said with honesty. it in fact was less than honest. Steaver never suggested that anyone just print more money. Now you can argue that it would still take going into more debt if you want but you did not do that. More innuendo by you.

19. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, the US-Mexico border is about 1,900 miles long. There already exists about 650 miles of fencing in various places (with gaps for people who own land on both sides to travel through).

Trump claims that his wall will only need to be about 1,000 miles long since he believes that there are significant natural obstacles preventing border crossings along the rest of the border.

20. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shortly before the election, I heard an interview of a man who built security walls like what Trump proposes. I do not remember his name. Something that stood out: Trump's estimated cost (before he down-scaled the project) was only 1/3 of what this man thought was realistic.

I wish I could remember more.