1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trump's Food Stamp Reform Proposal

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by InTheLight, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kind of foolish. She has a limited amount of money on those cards so if she buys candy or soda etc she is reducing her ability to buy essentials... but the government if they wanted to could prohibit the spending to nutritious food. You know but powered milk, come on. Let’s go back to Ronny Rayguns bright idea that catsup is a vegetable....right :confused:

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You got a Republican as POTUS, Republicans controlling Congress & the Senate. Change the situation.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, the churches need to work together - otherwise - folks will go from church to church.......

4. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A lot of SNAP is administrated at the state level, program needs a lot of reform and this is an idea to do so, albeit a stale idea. It comes off as a little too "daily ration of rice" to me.

Logistics is always the problem with these massive food programs, churches and other organizations and clubs are always collecting canned goods to distribute among the poor out here. For the inner cities, though, I don't see how you can do it without the government involved.

Wrong again:

In the Shopping Cart of a Food Stamp Household: Lots of Soda

if you consider "slightly higher" to be 31 percent higher. You can consider obesity to be a form of malnutrition, since it's possible to be malnourished despite consuming many calories. Obesity rates in the US across the board are high.

5. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A lot of it is wasted on our already bloated military. Even so, just to provide the health insurance for all the people who don't it including the millions on Obamacare would cost every Christian church in America $200,000/yr. Stop dreaming about this being done. You're killing people by the minute.

6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You set a false standard that could never be met--churches paying for the uninsured health insurance--and then say he is dreaming to think that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

7. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it the will of Christ Jesus that His Church remember the poor, widows and orphans?

Does He ever command that which He does not confer?

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fantastic!

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  9. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They don't need it for essentials. They defraud the system. Drive nice cars and use food stamps. Go hang out at a store and watch.

10. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will reply to your next sane post.

11. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would take a supermajority. In addition to that, many Republicans are spineless career politicians.

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK I have fessed up to being a former JFK Democrat and I have no problem with entitlements.

If the churches won't take total care of the underprivileged (and they don't) then I have no problem with Big Brother doing it.
    Yes, and the government could do a better job of the strategy and management of the assistance (another convoluted problem).

On a positive note.

In my teens my step-Dad went to prison and we were in a desperation of poverty.
    The State of Louisiana provided us (my mother and 6 children - my mother had 2 sets of twins) a place to live in a roach infested housing project.
    We were allotted government surplus food which I had to periodically go get. My mother received $9.00/Mo. on state welfare (this was in the 50's).

Somehow the Free Masons found out my step-Dad was from an old southern Free Mason Alabama family (my Dad's family probably made the phone call) and our life got considerably better.

Say what you will about the Free Masons but they made sure we had everything we needed.

They even saw to it that I received free passage on the streetcars and buses of New Orleans (there were no school buses).
    I complained about the roaches and a couple of weeks later the entire housing project was debugged.

Admittedly some of the help came from churches which supported Free Masonry, had Free Mason pastors, elders and deacons with which the Masons connected us.

One of the women (from a Baptist Church with Masons) visited us monthly or weekly on occasion.

Thanksgiving and Christmas were especially joyful as they delivered food, clothes, bedding, toys. Our cup runneth over.

We need to adopt this kind of Masonic social networking and make it a disciplined endeavor of the churches.

Just giving credit where credit is due.

13. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would the churches want to perpetuate the errors of Obamacare? All it is is a windfall profits scheme to enrich the already bloated big insurance companies.

We do it this way. Our church has both MDs and DDSs. They provide free care for the indigent. Problem solved. And big insurance does not get richer.

14. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There lies the truth. Healthcare/insurance is big business. Big business with massive money. Big business with the majority of Federal politicians bought and paid for.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a pretty broad statement... so you think everyone on welfare is a scumbag?

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow... must be a rich church.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh yea but so are the Dems

18. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "They" being the ones who abuse the system. Its a mixed bag. Plenty of good people along with plenty of bad people on welfare. The system needs to weed out the bad.

19. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the record, I personally consider the elected Democrats to be reprobates so far beyond help that I do not even entertain the idea that they will do anything good.

20. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey - I have an idea - Get Nancy and those who work for her to donate a few "crumbs " to the welfare budget allotment.

Problem solved!!

HankD