1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truth in polling law?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by targus, Sep 27, 2008.

1. targus

targus New Member

I think that perhaps we need a truth in polling law to protect the public for slanted and purposely skewed polls.

Anyone knows that you can produce a desired poll result by the choice of questions asked, method of polling, particular group of polling subjects, and the best of all "weighting" of polling data.

Since these published polls are really meant to shape public opinion, I think that the public deserves to know the specifics behind the polls so that we can decide for ourselves what the results really are.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe people should just be educated rather than passing another unconstitutional federal law.

3. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How do polls shape public opinion? Does anyone choose who they vote for because of a poll result?

How would a polling law be enforced?

Polls are estimations of a larger population based a smaller group so there will always be errors which are usually reported with most reputable polls. The questions asked are also reported by reputable polls. Reputable polls will usually state their methodology of randomization and collection (phone, etc). One consideration is how accurate telephone polling is with people moving away from land lines to mobile phones.

I agree there are problems with polls as there are with any type of statistic. But it is up to the individual to critically appraise the methodology used to collect that statistic and judge for themselves how accurate that statistic is.

We live in a culture of information overload and being able to critically interpret statistics should be vital part of our education.

#3 Gold Dragon, Sep 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2008
  4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree, since most of Obama supporters are the young, college preppy types, I think the polls are extremely skewed. Most of this cross section of the population don't have a landlines so are not included in the polls. They really need to figure out a way to account for this new generation.