1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured TULIP Was Never Alive to Begin With

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Aaron, May 10, 2022.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correction: you are incapable of doing any righteousness, but that's not the problem with Calvinism, that's the problem you have with Paul's Gospel. (He was a Calvinist, you know.)

Concerning the thread title: Calvinism was not being codified by the Synod of Dort in their response to the five points of Arminianism.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is exactly right. They want to focus on Calvin or Dort, or Augustine, and say "See this is not what the Bible says!!!" the problem is it comes from Scripture and not any of the things they try to point to.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Sovereignty has anything to do with man... Its not GOD!... Brother Glen:)

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Brightfame52

Brightfame52 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe TULIP is an acronym for Truths of the Gospel of Gods Grace.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about ROSEBUD?

6. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well if TULIP is 100% Jesus Christ, I believe TULIP... But not to slight the other brethren there is also D.A.I.S.Y. for those who thinks they must do something to be saved... Here is a link to the comparison of both... Brother Glen:)

Theological Flowerbeds - D.A.I.S.Y. vs. T.U.L.I.P.

Btw Salty get your Caine on, citizen!;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought he ( Paul )Was/ is a Baptist! I’m shocked :eek: :Thumbsup

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No that was John (who baptized Jesus) but lets hear what Paul has to say... Brother Glen:)

Philippians 3:5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;

6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.

9. Mathetes66

Mathetes66 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Paul was a Calvinist? Got me searching the Scriptures to see if this is true. I am trying to be a good Berean.Thanks Tyndale, for the Philippian verses. Paul was of the tribe of Benjamin, ok, Paul was a Hebrew, ok; Paul was of the physical descendants of Israel, ok; Paul was a Pharisee, ok; Paul persecuted the church, ok; Paul was outwardly blameless as keeping the law, ok. MMMMM... Don't find anywhere where Scripture says Paul is a Calvinist or he confesses to be a Calvinist. I must conclude Scripture doesn't SAY Paul is a Calvinist and someone is adding that to Scripture.

Oh yeah, Calvin came along in 1509 and died in 1564. Paul lived in the first century. mmmmm I must conclude Paul NEVER became a follower of Calvin or his teachings. That's the trouble with anachronism & following men rather than Christ & practicing condescension & an unrighteous judgmental spirit.

Paul did say something about following men rather than Christ. I found that in Scripture.

I Cor 1:10-17 Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind & in the same judgment. 11For it has been declared to me concerning you, my brethren, by those of Chloe’s household, that there are contentions among you. 12Now I say this, that each of you says, “I am of Paul,” or “I am of Apollos,” or “I am of Cephas,” or “I am of Christ.” 13Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

14I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus & Gaius, 15lest anyone should say that I had baptized in my own name. 16Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas. Besides, I do not know whether I baptized any other. 17For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not with WISDOM OF WORDS, lest the cross of Christ should be made of no effect.

It is good to search the Scriptures! However, reading things into Scripture is a risky business in God's kingdom. Pride usually comes before a fall.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :Roflmao

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Mathetes66

Mathetes66 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was a Baptist too, teaching the substitutionary nature of Christ's sacrifice.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    . Matthew and Mark quoted Jesus' teach that. Matthew 20:28 and Mark 10:45.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My ancestors lived the life of Roman mercenary soldiers and heard of him, took it back with them to Britain (not the Britain of those German/ Scandinavian mutts) pure Celts, so we know his particular gospel. It has lived there for a long time, punctuated by the sons & Daughters of David. Matthew, Mark, Luke & John were the sons of my miner tribe who finally emigrated to places other than the green hills & valley’s singing the hymns of gospel and Bards. .. Some continue to be sung at football games ;)

Guide me, O thou great Jehovah,
    pilgrim through this barren land.
    I am weak, but thou art mighty;
    Hold me with thy powerful hand.
    Bread of heaven, bread of heaven,
    Feed me till I want no more.

#14 Earth Wind and Fire, Jun 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well....no....but it does teach that Christ gave His life as a random. And Scripture does teach that Christ is a representative or "head" of those who are saved, the "Last Adam" and "Firstborn of many brethern". Not quite a substitution in the common use of the word (i.e., as a substitute).

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Problem here is that the Penal Substitution Theory of Atonement is not a characteristic of what it means to be a Baptist. Early Anabaptists (the Swiss Brethern, Amish, Mennonites, Huttertites, etc. meet the definition of Baptist without clinging the RCC ideas of Atonement. Heck, even today not all Baptists affirm the Penal Substitution Theory of Atonement).

17. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have Matthew 20:28 and Mark 10:45. And you seem to refer to 1 Corinthians 15:45 and 1 Corinthians 15:22 which has to do with resurrection not the substitution of the redemption Jesus did speak of. . . . αντι . . . .

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, no. I was referring to the fact that Matthew 15:28 and Mark 10:45 do not anyway remotely refer to Penal Substitution.

I was saying that we do know a lot, that Jesus is the "Last Adam", our Representative, the Firstborn of many brethern, our Redeemer and that we are purchased with His blood, He ransomed us, etc.

No need to add to Scripture what is in fact not there. What we have in God's Word is sufficient for our faith.

19. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    . . . αντι . . . . Meaning what?

20. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Penal substitution is the Biblical Atonement. It did not come under attack until the early 20th century.