1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Turkey News Headlines

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by shodan, Nov 17, 2018.

1. shodan

shodan Member
    Site Supporter

The turkey will get a lot of press this week. But we will see little from Christians to point others to the true roots of Thanksgiving Day. Thanksgiving Day: God Was the Focus

2. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I myself thought that the purpose of national holidays in part was to give everyone possible a day of rest. That does not happen in post-modern America. All aspects of life are now 24/7. One should think of others.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and in the case of Thanksgiving - these stores start their "Black Friday" sales on Thursday afternoon or evening!

If I was the guy was in charge of a box store - My store would open at noon on Friday - thus allowing my employees to fully enjoy thanksgiving.

Also I dont like the ideal of having holidays on Monday (other than Labor Day)

Salty

PS - actually - there are NO national holidays - the Federal Govt can only designate Federal holidays - which only effect Federal agencies.
    It is up to the State/Commonwealth to determine if they want recognize the Federal holiday. An excellent example as of late was the King holiday - at first several State/Commonwealths opted out - UNTIL the blackmail of organizations - including the NFL.

4. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The mere question, “for what are you thankful?” resonates a spirit of receiving and sharing love and the other things that we require in life which points directly “to” a reminder of our Creator. In fact, I don’t believe I’ve ever witnessed a Thanksgiving celebration that didn’t participate in a prayer before eating.

Although, some of these prayers may not meet the critical standards of some Christians I would not go so far as to suggest that most others have “forgotten God” on Thanksgiving Day or have neglected the “object” of thanksgiving. It seems a rather snobbish and judgmental undertaking to insist on other people’s standards not setting the bar high enough to qualify as God honoring.

On the contrary, I believe it is a special day of enlightenment and remembrance to many people that there is a Good and Gracious God to be thankful for.

5. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some stores will be open on black Thursday to begin the most wonderful time of the year as they say in the retail business. Are you in the shopping spirit? Shop till you drop; spend till the end; pay till you're gray.