1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Twenty Proofs the Church Existed Prior to Pentecost

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by bigczardaddy, Sep 10, 2005.

1. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

If I was a betting man I would bet that bigczardaddy is a Landmark Baptist. Am I right?

2. bigczardaddy

bigczardaddy New Member

open = anyonyone who says they`are christian
    close = anyone claiming to`be baptist
    closed = only those who are members of your
    baptist congregation

dh1948 explain landmark baptist?

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

why does that have anything to do with when the church began?

4. tenor

tenor New Member

Ekklesia, meaning "Caled out" or "assembly" was the generic word for any group... ie "The ekklesia odf elders at the city gates." It was a common word that eventually took on the specific meaning today. The caould be an "ekklesia" of scholars, medal-of-honor redipients, etc. It's interesting that we have taken certain words and made them the sole property of the church. For instance, evangelism means telling the good news -- in it's early use a runner telling of a battle victory would have been call the evangelist. it was much later that this word took on teh spcific definition of one who 'shares his faith."

Just my 2 cents.

Tim

5. tenor

tenor New Member

Pastor Larry,

I think a miracle has occured. We seem to be mostly in agreement on this topic.

Ain't God great!

Tim

6. tenor

tenor New Member

The Lord's supper should be open. All Christians present should be allowed to partake.

Tim

7. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

Personally, I believe that the church started with the baptism of Christ. Since Christ is the head of the church, and the Father approved Christ's ministry at His baptism, only the founder/head could begin the church. We become members not through salvation, but by both salvation and full immersion baptism as the head of the church. Christ's ministry was to call out His church and train the next generationo of leaders. How could Christ add to something that was not started at Pentecost? How could the first business meeting take place if they were not yet a church? How could the Lord's supper be instructed to remember Him if the church does not already exist? How could church disipline be instructed and instituted if the church was not already in operation? How could they have a treasurer if they were not a church? How could baptism be instructed to be followed if not already set up by the head of the church?

Is this a perfect argument for my position? NO, but it is my position.