1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TWO QUESTIONS FOR CALVINISTS

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Skandelon, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I'm not sure that we are told why. We do know that he was not deceived. I think that means that he made the choice to disobey. Some say it was because he didn't want to give up the woman, but I think that's speculation. I don't know why.</font>[/QUOTE]
    Could it be based upon his own free will. Could it be that the only "cause" was himself, his own volition?

We follow the desire that is stronger at the moment. </font>[/QUOTE]But why? Did we have to? Could we have done other than what we did? In other words, yesterday let's say I lied to my wife a noon. Could I have done otherwise as a believer?

2. Skandelon

You can't blame it totally on the serpant, which you may not be doing here, but I just wanted to make this point. If the determining cause of Adam's sin was the serpant then only the serpant would be culpable. The serpant tempted, but Adam was responsible for his response to that temptation. The question therefore becomes: Could Adam have not sinned? Could he have done otherwise?

I believe that is the measure of what is truly free. Could He have done otherwise? If not, why not? And why couldn't what ever determined him not to be able to do otherwise be held completely cupable?

3. johnp.

johnp. New Member

4. whatever

whatever New Member

Could be, but I don't think so. I don't think that there is ever an "only cause".

Sure you could have. Had you wanted to more then you would have.

5. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

I am not laying blame on anyone or anything and I have not departed from scripture.

Why do you all not consider the elements of truth that the scene reveals? Why do you not think things through?

What was the real reason that Adam sinned?

6. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello whatever.

I was answering a post of yours where you asked, I don't think "determined" and "Author of" are equivalent, and it seems that you do. But I can't find where you asked it so I put the answer here.
    I think I do. Author : one that is the source of some form of intellectual or creative work. Determined : to fix conclusively or authoritatively.

I think they are very closely connected. Since the creation is as it is because the Author of life determined it to be as it is.
    If He had not wanted sin to enter the creation sin would not have entered. It must be necessary and for the best but it must mean that God ok'd it.
    Romans 11:32 For God has bound all men over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.
    An important reason for sin is that God wants to reveal His glory. Since His wrath is part of the glory of God there is a need for wrath to be revealed as well as His mercy.
    Romans 11:32 For God has bound all men over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.
    It was God that bound all men over to disobedience, this all must include Adam and Eve but not Jesus, then it was God that bound us over and not ourselves! :cool:

johnp.

7. billwald

billwald New Member

&gt;If Christian's sin because they have a sin nature that must mean that alway sin when tempted.

Neither logically not theologically correct. "Sin nature" inplies that all human activities are tinged with sin, not that 100% of activities is sinful. Why? because of God's "common grace" which helps most all humans to do right much of the time.

Second, "always sinning" does not maximize sin. Sin is maximized when it occurs randomly. Think about it.

8. billwald

billwald New Member

&gt;But we have the ability to sin or to not sin, right?

Yes, just as cats have the ability to swim or not swim. Ever see a cat swim voluntarially?

9. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello billwald.

Ever tried giving one a bath.HaHa!

johnp.

10. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Skandelon,

Good questions which get to the heart of the matter. I agree with you, BTW, and posted a similar line of questions here several months ago (along with the question of what caused Lucifer to fall). However, then (as now) most of it either went over folks' heads or was ignored by those who apparently wanted to avoid the implications of answering those questions for the veracity of their ideology.

11. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello Doubting Thomas nice to meet you.
    I can't remember having spoken to you before. Maybe you would like to put your points again.

What answers did you get for this?

johnp.

12. Skandelon

So, your saying that believers don't obey Christ voluntarially?

Doesn't 1 Cor. 10:13 teach that when we are tempted that he will always provide a way of escape?

13. Skandelon

Bingo.
    [​IMG]

14. Skandelon

Your not getting my point bill.

If I'm able to choose door #1 or door #2 and I choose 2 then afterward could you rightly say, "I could have chosen otherwise?"

Yes or no?

15. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Skandelon.

No.

johnp.

16. Skandelon

Then how can I be held accoutable for choosing?

If I couldn't have done otherwise, then how is that free?

17. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry. I posted, then went back further in the thread and realized my comment was kind of out of context.

18. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello Skandelon.

Simply because He holds you responsible. No other reason is needed He says it is so.
    Romans 9:19 One of you will say to me: "Then why does God still blame us? For who resists his will?" 20 But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? "Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, `Why did you make me like this?' " 21 Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?
    I have said that Then how can I be held accoutable for choosing? is a valid question but the only answer given is, "Who are you, O man, to talk back to God?"
    The conclusion that makes you arrive at the question is correct it is that you do not want to accept the answer. That is the only answer given. "Who are you?" It's a serious warning that is.
    Who gave you the impression that your choice had anything free about it? You cannot divorce your will from what you desire. Your desires are the desires of the fallen nature not a living spirit in communion with God. Romans 8:7-8 tells us what we are like.
    Look at the 2 Peter 2:1 verse and that will put a proper perspective on our position in the scheme of things! Jesus Christ has bought the whole of creation and rules it as a Despot. The purchase included the whole of humanity which He owns as slaves to do with as He wills. Slaves are slaves and must obey the command of their Master. They all do. He is Sovereign. DA 4:35 All the peoples of the earth are regarded as nothing. He does as he pleases with the powers of heaven and the peoples of the earth. No one can hold back his hand or say to him: "What have you done?"

We are bold though. We have the upperhand over our leaders. We are democrats, in the nicest sort of way, and are free men able to pick and choose those who govern us. This is a lot to overcome.
    Another problem you face is the Sweet Jesus God loves eveybody problem. God cannot love everybody because He harms many. Love never fails. He has an everlasting love for His Children I know He showed me it. Love never fails yet we see people going to Hell. Why? Because there is no love between God and those that oppose Him. Romans 9:11 Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad--in order that God's purpose in election might stand: 12 not by works but by him who calls--she was told, "The older will serve the younger." 13 Just as it is written: "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated."
    Love is denied when that love ends. Love never fails so if it stops it was not love. Yet He told me it was love everlasting and I believe Him.

What you think?

johnp.

19. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

What comic book did you find this in? You ABSOLUTELY can divorce your will from your desires. We all do it every day of our lives!

My desire is a life of leisure, my will is to do what is right for those depending on me! I therefore divorce my will from my desire in order to accomplish my will.

Another sign that you do not think things through!

20. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Not so Wes.

Your desire is to support your family. You have a greater desire to support your family than to laze about doing nothing. Both are noble desires in my books and as a man in a role reversal I can tell you it is a push over being mum.
    Oh no? Who is the one slogging his guts out you or me. HaHa. :cool:

johnp.