1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Two signs of school stupidity...

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by rbell, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I work for a corporation that does facility management in schools of all sorts, from K-12 to huge universities. We also do military bases, government and private business, hospitals, nursing homes, etc. We manage a LOT of property for agencies like school districts with over 380,000 people working world wide.

We specialize in entering a system like the one you describe and cleaning it up.

I do agree with what you have observed concerning perks for administration versus the students. We see that everywhere...

2. billwald

billwald New Member

School administrators in Alabama don't know how to write job descriptions into union contracts? Maybe the problem isn't unions but overall ignorance.

3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

And that directy from a union hack. Thanks Bill!

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

You're assuming an atmosphere of "honesty" and "industriousness" where it may not exist (in sufficient quantities).

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

This is one of those rare cases where everyone is right about what the problem is.

All these issues brought up are honestly problems in our school system.

For those who have the time, desire, and motivation to try to bring about some changes, I've personally found that the best way for us "little people" to do so is to
    1. Clearly identify the problem
    2. Ask the school to fix the problem, then move on to bringing it up with the school board and the county's school administrator.
    3. They probably won't, but since you tried, now you go find out what funding program is associated with the problem. For example, if you find there's a problem with safety issues such as bullying, there's school funding for that area of concern. The funding provides money for things that pertain to safety. Schools that don't meet certain criteria do not receive funding in areas until they meet the criteria and show they are following the rules that go with the funding, but that's only if the person in charge of the funding is aware of the problem.
    3. Make the person in charge of funding aware of the problem.
    4. Follow up with that person to get more information on what is being done and ask for updates.

If all that doesn't work you move on by calling the state board of education and finding out if they can help. If they can't, they will direct you to the proper place to take your concern.
    If that doesn't work, I have no idea! But it worked for me. Actually I didn't need to end up at the state level, but I did anyhow just as a follow up and to make them aware that there had been a problem.

If anyone else has ideas on how to deal with this stuff, please share! Change is needed, but next to impossible to make happen.

glfredrick, how does your organization become aware of these problems you mentioned? What does it take to get that done and is this an organization that is nationwide?

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No amount of money can fix our school systems.

Period.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's right. Money ain't the problem.

8. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

We do fix school systems -- facilities wise, not educationally or philosophically. My company is in the facilities management business and we manage a bunch of campuses and other venues such as hospitals, etc. We just signed the entire Detroit School District as a client. I can only imagine how much fixing that system will need.

How do we get that done? By bringing in qualified leaders who have expertise in the problems, and expertise in people. We manage people to fix problems. We also bring in quality suppliers, expertise in diversity, sustainability, etc., all geared to running the facilities so that the core operations of our client can be their primary focus. In the case of schools, administrators can administrate and teachers can teach. We cut grass, fix plumbing and lights, run the boilers, clean the buildings, and make everything work the way it should according to federal, state, and local guidelines and regulations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.