1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Types in the Old Testament

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Pastor_Bob, Apr 17, 2018.

1. One Baptism

One Baptism Active Member

Joseph (part 2)

Joseph tests his brothers by a cup, and even gives to them of the money they paid for their bread. Jesus at the last supper also has a cup, and even speaks to James and John of the cup they were to drink from, even as Christ Jesus drank from the cup that the Father had given Him to drink. Christ Jesus offers salvation realy, without price, and cannot be bought with any amount.

Joseph forgives his brethren and feeds them all, and the whole land (vast multitudes) grain (bread) even in the time of famine, and though testing their loyalty, and to see if they have had a change of heart, reveals himself to them when He sees their converted hearts, and kisses them. He brings them all into the land of plenty and the fertile plains and there is great rejoicing. Jesus asks of the Father forgiveness for his people, and dying is the sacrifice for sin, so that we too may be taken into the land of plenty and fertile plains. Jesus is that manna, that bread, from Heaven, which feedeth His people of the true bread of life, the words of God, Jesus feeds the multitudes.

Joseph is for a time separated from the Father, but is restored. Christ Jesus upon the Cross is too separated from the Father (Psalms 22), but is restored.

Joseph's bones and body were carefully preserved and protected, and were not to be buried in Egypt, even as Christ Jesus, being that uncorrupted manna that is preserved forever (saw no corruption), no bones were broken (even as the type of the passover Lamb), and his body carefully taken down from the cross and preserved by Jospeh of Arimathea and others. Joseph was a shepherd for the flocks of His father, Jesus is the Good Shepherd.

Jospeh was not immediately recognized by his brethren and treated as a stranger, Jesus came unto His own (the people He chose out for himself), and His own knew him not. Even upon the road to Emaus, later he was only known in the breaking of Bread. Both were filled by the Holy Spirit of God, and through the providence and guidance and foresight of God, were to save many from destruction. Even the 7 years of famine and plenty are also realized in the life and ministry of Jesus Christ, for 3 1/2 years by His own preaching, and then through those who heard him for another 3 1/2 years (Hebrews 2:3), completing the final week of Daniel in AD 34.

Rachel dies in Bethlehem Ephrath ("And Rachel died, and was buried in the way to Ephrath, which [is] Bethlehem." Genesis 35:19; "And as for me, when I came from Padan, Rachel died by me in the land of Canaan in the way, when yet [there was] but a little way to come unto Ephrath: and I buried her there in the way of Ephrath; the same [is] Bethlehem." Genesis 48:7) , the very place where Christ Jesus is born and foretold ("But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, [though] thou be little among the thousands of Judah, [yet] out of thee shall he come forth unto me [that is] to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth [have been] from of old, from everlasting." Michah 5:2; see also Matthew 2:1-6; John 7:42). Bethlehem means the "house of bread", and Jesus (he being the Bread of Life) was born in a manger (a place for feed/grain).

There is no doubt the providence of God leading in the Life of Joseph to point us unto Jesus Christ, and more could be said and seen in that life, but there are now others we may look at and see, that Christ Jesus truly is all throughout the scriptures.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. One Baptism

Isaiah 28:16-17

Isaiah 28:16 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner [stone], a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.

Isaiah 28:17 Judgment also will I lay to the line, and righteousness to the plummet: and the hail shall sweep away the refuge of lies, and the waters shall overflow the hiding place.
    Can any not see Christ Jesus in vs 16 (compare to Romans 9:33; 1 Corinthians 3:11; Ephesians 2:20; 1 Peter 2:8, etc), but what more in vs 17!

Judgment also will I lay to the line...

What is a line?

It is a measuring tool upon the horizontal - as far as the east is from the west; eternal in either direction, relationship of man to man, straight

and righteousness to the plummet...

What is a plummet?

It is a measuring tool upon the vertical, binding Heaven and earth together (Genesis 1:1, vav, aleph, tav); from highest to lowest, relationship of man to God, straight

And both together...

The Justice and Righteousness of God, the very Love of God, meet there, forever demonstrated before all the universe. This is the truest standard of measurement, the perfect 'meter' - God' love, God is love.

In fact, the Cross, is a Throne. Jesus is Crowned King of the Jews. He has them which are on his right and left. There is also a seat placed upon it also.

There is more, much more, let us look and see, even in the very lives of the Patriarchs themselves.

3. One Baptism

The Sanctuary itself - Psalms 77:13

Beginning at the outer court, we have the Altar of Burnt Offering (towards the East).

Moving from there straight ahead (west), we come to the Laver of Blood/Water.

From thence in the outer court, we move through the veil into the Holy Place of the Sanctuary, and immediately to our right hand (sides of the north) is the Table of Shew Bread

To our left (south) therein is then the 7 Branch Golden Candlestick.

Straight ahead (west) of us is the Altar of Incense.

Moving past these, forward still (further west), through the second veil, into the Most Holy Place, we come to the Ark of the Covenant and the Law of God therein.

These are in the Pattern of the Cross itself.

In each place, Christ Jesus received a wound.

[1] Altar of Burnt Offering – Jesus was pierced in the Feet, by a nail.

[2] Laver of Blood Water – Jesus was pierced in His Side, by a spear, out then came blood and water.

[3] Table of Shew Bread – Jesus was pierced in the Right Hand, by a nail.

[4] 7 Branch Golden Candlestick – Jesus was pierced in the Left Hand, by a nail.

[5] Altar of Incense – Jesus died of a Broken Heart, wounded by the sin/s of mankind.

[6] Ark of the Covenant – Jesus was pierced in the Head, by the Crown of Thorns He wore.​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Image Source: http://www.lightministries.com/SDA/6a8b2bf0.jpg

Image Source: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-y6wnmN6pkj.../Sanctuary.jpg

There is much, much more in this Pattern given of God, yes, even the whole plan of Salvation/Redemption, The Blueprint is very instructive:

4. One Baptism

Moses and Joshua, Aaron and Hur & Jesus Christ; Exodus 17.

Exodus 17:9 And Moses said unto Joshua, Choose us out men, and go out, fight with Amalek: to morrow I will stand on the top of the hill with the rod of God in mine hand.

Exodus 17:10 So Joshua did as Moses had said to him, and fought with Amalek: and Moses, Aaron, and Hur went up to the top of the hill.

Exodus 17:11 And it came to pass, when Moses held up his hand, that Israel prevailed: and when he let down his hand, Amalek prevailed.

Exodus 17:12 But Moses' hands were heavy; and they took a stone, and put it under him, and he sat thereon; and Aaron and Hur stayed up his hands, the one on the one side, and the other on the other side; and his hands were steady until the going down of the sun.

Exodus 17:13 And Joshua discomfited Amalek and his people with the edge of the sword.​

(A.) Moses, representing Jesus as deliverer, goes atop a hill, where all may see him (Exodus 17:9).

Jesus was taken to the hill of the Skull (Calvary; Luke 23:33), Golgotha (Mark 15:22; John 19:17), where all may see him (Isaiah 45:22; John 12:32).​

(B.) Moses, representing Jesus as deliverer, has two persons beside him, one on the Right, the other on the Left (Exodus 17:12).

Jesus, was crucified between two persons, one of the Right hand, the other on the left (Matthew 27:38; Mark 15:27; Luke 23:33; John 19:18).​

(C.) Moses, representing Jesus as deliverer, was victorious for his people, so long as his hands remained outstretched and steady, until the going down of the sun (Exodus 17:12).

Jesus, whose arms and hands were each outstretched, with a “nail” (“as a nail in a sure place”; Isaiah 22:23,25) in each hand, thus plural "nails", whose “bones were out of joint”, even “as far as the east is from the west”, that they could not move, were steady, yes even till the going down of the sun (the “ninth hour”; approx. 3 PM) on the preparation day, just before the 7th Day Sabbath of the Lord God and feast sabbath began together, his victory assured, memorialized forever.

Just as Joshua was victorious, this our Joshua was too, over the real enemies of God, delivering the people with “mighty hand” and “outstretched arm”.

Such a great sacrifice that God has made, for us, to deliver us from the power of sin, satan and self.​

5. One Baptism

Samson; Judges 16:1-31

(A.) Just as Samson, representing Jesus as deliverer, was born specially, by promise from God, to a woman which could not bare, and he was to be filled with the Holy Ghost, and to be dedicated to the Lord from birth to death, and to be deliverer of the people (Judges 13).

Jesus, a holy child, was born of the virgin Mary, by Holy Ghost, to be dedicated to the Lord forever (Luke 1:35; Acts 4:27,30), and to be the Saviour and deliverer of all people, who would accept the sacrifice (Matthew 1:21; Acts 13:23; Romans 11:26, etc).​

(B.) Just as Samson, representing Jesus as deliverer, was attempted to be taken many times by his enemies, but could not be until betrayed by a woman (harlot) he loved, for silver (Judges 16:5,18; even as the type of Christ, Joseph was sold/betrayed by Juda for silver (Genesis 37:27,28)), into the hands of his enemies as a slave, even though he had “shewed (her) all his heart” (Judges 16:18).

Jesus, also could not be taken, until his appropriate time (Daniel 9:24-27, in the Year AD 31, in the First Month, Abib/Nisan, on the 14th Day of the Month, being the 6th Day of the week (aka Friday, preparation day), dying at the 9th hour (roughly 3 PM, the time of the evening Sacrifice), to enter into the 7th Day the Sabbath rest of Creation/Redemption) betrayed by a woman (the harlot Church, physical Israel, even at the hands of Judas; Acts 7:38), for silver (Zechariah 11:12,13; Matthew 26:15, 27:3), into the hands of the enemy, for the price of a slave (Matthew 27:9), even though God had revealed all His heart in Christ Jesus to the world.​

(C.) Just as Samson, representing Jesus as deliverer, carried “the bar” of the “gate” (the place of judgment), even the great weight, across his “shoulders”, up to the top of a “hill” (Judges 16:3).

Jesus, also carried the cross (John 19:17), after a manner (Simon of Cyrene, being an example for us, to take up that Cross and bear it for Jesus; Matthew 16:24; Mark 8:34; Luke 9:23), up to the hill of Golgotha (Matthew 27:33; Mark 15:22; John 19:17), the place of the Skull (the very place of the mind/heart of man; even Calvary; Luke 23:33), bearing the weight of the not merely the cross, but the sins of the whole world (Isaiah 63:9), the government and judgment should be upon his shoulders (Isaiah 9:6, 22:22).​

(D.) Just as Samson, representing Jesus as deliverer, was blinded (Judges 16:21), that he could not see, and was ill-treated and mocked of his enemies (Judges 16:25), the LORD being departing from him (Judges 16:20).

Jesus, also was blind-folded (Luke 22:64), that he could not see, and was ill-treated and mocked of his enemies (Job 12:4; Matthew 27:29,31; Mark 15:20; Luke 23:11,36), apparently forsaken of God (Psalms 22:1; Matthew 27:46; Mark 15:34).​

(E.) Just as Samson, representing Jesus as deliverer, then in the last moments of his life, was taken out, placed between two pillars (Judges 16:25) and leaned upon them with his hands outstretched, to the right and to the left (Judges 16:29), east and west, praying (Judges 16:28), and dying with the enemies (Judges 16:30), apparently in defeat, but destroyed the Temple (Judges 16:30), slaying his enemies more in his death, than in his life.

Jesus, also then was placed between two persons, one of the Right hand, the other on the left (Matthew 27:38; Mark 15:27; Luke 23:33; John 19:18). Jesus said that He would destroy the Temple (John 2:19), by which he slays in/by his death the enmity between God and mankind (Genesis 3:15; Ephesians 2;16, etc), forever magnifying the Law of God, making it honourable (Isaiah 42:21), demonstrating its eternality. His hands and arms outstretched, with a “nail” (“as a nail in a sure place”; Isaiah 22:23,25; thus plural "nails") in each hand, whose “bones were out of joint”, even “as far as the east is from the west” to save and deliver, even unto a gainsaying people. Apparently in defeat (John 16:6,20-22, 20:15-18; Luke 24:17,25-53), He is victorious (Romans 5:6; Revelation 12:10; Psalms 98:1-3; Colossians 2:15).​

6. One Baptism

Names and their importance of Character

A specific example of this may be seen from the Beginning and might go something like this (though there may be several variations on it):

Adam – Red, The Living Soul (through Blood), A Unique Son of God

Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.​

Eve – The Mother of all Living (Life-Giver)

Genesis 3:20 And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.​

Abel – Breath, Briefly, a Keeper of the Sheep (Mourning, Lamenting)

Genesis 4:2 And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.​

Cain – Possession, a Tiller of the Ground (Lance, Spear)

Genesis 4:1 And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.​

Seth – Compensation (setting, in the place of (Abel), appointed)

Genesis 4:25 And Adam knew his wife again; and she bare a son, and called his name Seth: For God, said she, hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew.​

Enos – Man (mortal man)

Genesis 4:26 And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the LORD.​

Cainan - Possession

Genesis 5:9 And Enos lived ninety years, and begat Cainan:​

Mahalaleel – Praise of God

Genesis 5:12 And Cainan lived seventy years, and begat Mahalaleel:​

Jared – Descent (coming down)

Genesis 5:15 And Mahalaleel lived sixty and five years, and begat Jared:​

Enoch – Dedicated (Who walked with God, and was not, for God took Him)

Genesis 5:18 And Jared lived an hundred sixty and two years, and he begat Enoch:​

Methuselah – Man of the Dart (His Death Shall bring)

Genesis 5:21 And Enoch lived sixty and five years, and begat Methuselah:​

Lamech – Powerful (Strength)

Genesis 5:25 And Methuselah lived an hundred eighty and seven years, and begat Lamech:​

Noah – Rest (Comfort)

Genesis 5:29 And he called his name Noah, saying, This same shall comfort us concerning our work and toil of our hands, because of the ground which the LORD hath cursed.
    Shem Name

Genesis 5:32 And Noah was five hundred years old: and Noah begat Shem, Ham, and Japheth.​

(JEHOVAH) God, through His Unique Son (Adam, Red/blood), Gives Life (Eve), being pierced (Cain), and in the place of (Seth) mourning/sorrow (Abel), for Mortal Man (Enos), Obtained (Cainan), the Praise of God (Mahalaleel), for He Descended/Came Down (Jared), Dedicated/Walked With God and was not found, for God took Him (Enoch), and Whose Death Would Bring (Methuselah), Strength/Vital Force (Lamech), and Rest/Comfort (Noah), so declaring His Good Name (Shem).

7. One Baptism

We also see this at the Ending of Scripture, given in the Sons of Israel in the special ordering, and might go something like this:

Revelation 7:5 Of the tribe of Juda (were) sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Reuben (were) sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Gad (were) sealed twelve thousand.

Revelation 7:6 Of the tribe of Aser (were) sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Nepthalim (were) sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Manasses (were) sealed twelve thousand.

Revelation 7:7 Of the tribe of Simeon (were) sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Levi (were) sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Issachar (were) sealed twelve thousand.

Revelation 7:8 Of the tribe of Zabulon (were) sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Joseph (were) sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Benjamin (were) sealed twelve thousand.​

13 Tribes; 1 with no inheritance, 1 with double inheritance.

Revelation 7 - Names in Specifically Given Order:

Judah = “Jew” = “I Will Praise The Lord” (Genesis 29:35)

Genesis 29:35 And she conceived again, and bare a son: and she said, Now will I praise the LORD: therefore she called his name Judah; and left bearing.​

Reuben = “Behold A Son” = “He Has Looked On Me” (Genesis 29:32)

Genesis 29:32 And Leah conceived, and bare a son, and she called his name Reuben: for she said, Surely the LORD hath looked upon my affliction; now therefore my husband will love me.​

Gad = “Troop” = “Given Good Fortune” (Genesis 30:11)

Genesis 30:11 And Leah said, A troop cometh: and she called his name Gad.​

Asher = “Happy” = “Happy Am I” (Genesis 30:13)

Genesis 30:13 And Leah said, Happy am I, for the daughters will call me blessed: and she called his name Asher.​

Naphtali = “Wrestling” = “My Wrestling” (Genesis 30:8)

Genesis 30:8 And Rachel said, With great wrestlings have I wrestled with my sister, and I have prevailed: and she called his name Naphtali.​

Manasseh = “Causing To Forget” = “Is Making Me To Forget” (Genesis 41:51)

Genesis 41:51 And Joseph called the name of the firstborn Manasseh: For God, (said he), hath made me forget all my toil, and all my father's house.​

Simeon = “Heard” = “God Hears Me” (Genesis 29:33)

Genesis 29:33 And she conceived again, and bare a son; and said, Because the LORD hath heard that I (was) hated, he hath therefore given me this (son) also: and she called his name Simeon.​

Levi ** = “Joined To” = “Is Attached To Me” (Genesis 29:34)

Genesis 29:34 And she conceived again, and bare a son; and said, Now this time will my husband be joined unto me, because I have born him three sons: therefore was his name called Levi.​

Issachar = “There Is Recompense” = “He Has Purchased Me” (Genesis 30:18)

Genesis 30:18 And Leah said, God hath given me my hire, because I have given my maiden to my husband: and she called his name Issachar.​

Zebulun = “Exalted” = “A Dwelling” (Genesis 30:20)

Genesis 30:20 And Leah said, God hath endued me (with) a good dowry; now will my husband dwell with me, because I have born him six sons: and she called his name Zebulun.​

Ephraim * = “Double Ash Heap” = “I Shall Be Doubly Fruitful” (Genesis 41:52)

Genesis 41:52 And the name of the second called he Ephraim: For God hath caused me to be fruitful in the land of my affliction.​

Joseph = “Jehovah Was Added” = “God Will Add To Me” (Genesis 30:24)

Genesis 30:24 And she called his name Joseph; and said, The LORD shall add to me another son​

Benjamin = “Son Of The Right Hand” = “Son Of His Right Hand” (Genesis 35:17-18

Genesis 35:17 And it came to pass, when she was in hard labour, that the midwife said unto her, Fear not; thou shalt have this son also.

Genesis 35:18 And it came to pass, as her soul was in departing, (for she died) that she called his name Benoni: but his father called him Benjamin.​

Dan * = “A Judge” (Genesis 30:6)

Genesis 30:6 And Rachel said, God hath judged me, and hath also heard my voice, and hath given me a son: therefore called she his name Dan.​

And therefore, by the special list given in Revelation (Juda, Reuben, Gad, Aser, Nepthalim, Manasses, Simeon, Levi, Issachar, Zabulon, Joseph, Benjamin) it is seen that the meaning is:

I Will Praise The LORD {JEHOVAH} (Judah) (for) He Has Looked On Me (Reuben) (and) Granted Good Fortune (Gad). Happy Am I (Asher) (because) My Wrestling (Naphtali), God Is Making Me To Forget (Manasseh). God Hears Me (Simeon) (and) Is Attached To Me (Levi). He has Purchased Me (Issachar) A Dwelling (Zebulun) (and) Will Add To Me (Joseph) The Son Of His Right Hand (Benjamin).

Or (my favorite)

Now I Will Praise The LORD {JEHOVAH} (Judah) (for) Surely The LORD Hath Looked Upon My Affliction (Reuben) (and) Granted Good Fortune (Gad) (therefore) Happy Am I (Asher) (even though) With Great Wrestlings Have I Wrestled (Naphtali) (but) God Is Making Me To Forget All My Toil (Manasseh) (for) the LORD Hath Heard Me (Simeon) (being) Joined Unto Me (Levi) (and) He Has Purchased Me (Issachar) (wanting) To Dwell With Me (Zebulun) (and) The LORD Shall Add To Me (Joseph) (also) The Son Of His Right Hand (Benjamin).

8. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you here. It is important, within the home, that we do a personal inventory and remove all offensive items, habits, etc. The areas to which I refer would have a specific Bible command or a specific biblical principle that would govern our actions. For these, there is no grey area.

For example: Psalm 101:3, "I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes..." This is a biblical principle which apply to movies, TV shows, Internet, etc. I am not against any of these. My point is that we should be wise enough to know when we've willingly or unwittingly allowed sinful influences in the home and remove them. I believe the passage in Leviticus would illustrate that.

I am not of the sort that believes if you have a TV in your home you are backslidden. I will say, however, that if one allows ungodliness to pour into one's home via the TV set, it will not be long before one becomes backslidden.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. One Baptism

I am still not sure why this thread doesn't get more material in it. This is a thread which everyone can pretty much jump in on, and have a blessing from. Is it that people would rather talk about something else than talk about Jesus throughout scripture? I have seen numerous other threads like this in other forums, go for a short while, and then just die out, why? If anything, this thread and those, should constantly be filling with Christ Jesus. it was when the two disciples on the road to Emmaus began to speak about Jesus and the things surronding Him, that Jesus was with them, and then to enlighten them:

Luke 24:14 And they talked together of all these things which had happened.

Luke 24:15 And it came to pass, that, while they communed together and reasoned, Jesus himself drew near, and went with them.​

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I were told "You have 60 seconds to tell someone of a type found in the Old Testament" I would tell them about the Veil:

Hebrews 9:3 King James Version (KJV)

3 And after the second veil, the tabernacle which is called the Holiest of all;

Hebrews 9:7-9 King James Version (KJV)

7 But into the second went the high priest alone once every year, not without blood, which he offered for himself, and for the errors of the people:

8 The Holy Ghost this signifying, that the way into the holiest of all was not yet made manifest, while as the first tabernacle was yet standing:

9 Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;

Hebrews 10:19-20 King James Version (KJV)

19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,

20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;

Hebrews 6:19 King James Version (KJV)

19 Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil;

The veil that separated the Holy Place and the Holy of Holies represented the very flesh/body of Christ. Under the Law men could only come into God's presence through that veil, and entrance was limited to one man (the High Priest), once a year.

We come into God's presence (both now and when we die) through the Veil, the Sacrifice of Christ, for He has given us His flesh:

John 6:51-56 King James Version (KJV)

51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

52 The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat?

53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.

56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

And I think the John 6 reference would have run me into overtime on my 60 seconds.

God bless.

• Like Like x 1