1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

U.N. Imposes Sanctions on N. Korea

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by carpro, Oct 15, 2006.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...2_RTRUKOC_0_US-KOREA-NORTH.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

By Matt Spetalnick

EXCERPT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States insisted on Sunday that China had an obligation to help enforce new U.N. sanctions on North Korea for its claimed nuclear test, despite Beijing's misgivings over the risk of provoking Pyongyang.

But in a bid to mollify China, essential to the success of a Security Council resolution passed on Saturday, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Washington wants to implement it in a way that avoids "open conflict" with North Korea.

China joined in the Council's 15-0 approval of a U.S.-drafted package financial and weapons sanctions against North Korea, its old Communist ally.

2. Pete

Pete New Member

:laugh: wellllll, I dunno, just because NK and China share a bit of a fence is no reason for China to be nervous... :laugh:

But surely even NK wouldn't be silly enough to pop a nuke over the side fence.

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never can tell, Pete. I mean, take a look at Kim Jil what's-his-name's- face. Don't look too stable to me.:smilewinkgrin:

4. Pete

Pete New Member

pinoybaptist...hmm...got a point. But there are things in Aussie politics that scare me more than the looks of Kim Jong-il...

Then again to be fair I don't have Kim just over my side fence with a nuke.

Oh, and to add a touch of irony to proceedings, Oz's P.M. (Dubya's lapdog) little johnny howard wants to start a "primarily peaceful power-producing purposes" nuke program Down Under.

NOW I AM TERRIFIED :eek: :tonofbricks: ;)

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kudos to the Bush Administration and John Bolton.:thumbs:

I never thought the U.N. would impose meaningful sanctions because Russia and China would oppose them and they both hold veto power.:BangHead:

Bolton found a way to get it done.