1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ugh.. now Im frustrated about the Passion

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Emily, Feb 28, 2004.

1. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

Bro.Adam, the article is not Bogud. It did happen. It's just that it was a coincidence and doesn;t have a dark plot behind it. I simply thought it was interesting!!

Tam

2. Nordic

Nordic Guest

Jim1999, you said:

"There was no appearance of the devil in the garden. It was a time of personal and intimate relationship with the Father. They were alone. The scripture is clear on this. Read Mark 14: 26, 32-42; Matt 26:30, 36-46; Luke 22:39-46; John 18:1

These scriptures will give you the total picture, and you can draw your own conclusions."

I am not sure how you can justify your claim that these verses give the "total picture". I read through the three sections of scripture you gave. It took all of thirty seconds. Yet the scriptures say he was in the garden for over one hour.

Matthew 26:40
    And He *came to the disciples and *found them sleeping, and *said to Peter, "So, you men could not keep watch with Me for one hour?

Further from Hebrews, mentioned above by Thessalonian, I do not think it is too much of a strech to believe that the devil was there. In fact I think it more of a strech that he was not.

Hebrews 2:18
    For since He Himself was tempted in that which He has suffered, He is able to come to the aid of those who are tempted.

The scriptures do not come near recording all the details of the events in Jesus life.

John 21:25
    And there are also many other things which Jesus did, which if they *were written in detail, I suppose that even the world itself *would not contain the books that *would be written.

So to dogmatically conclude as you have that something did not happen because it is not found in scripture, precisely stated, is simply wrong.

God bless all

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Nordic, good to have another Minneapolitan on board! Go up to the Welcome and introduce yourself. (I'm a grad of Mpls North)

My motto on adding to the Bible is "where the Bible is silent, I am silent". We do NOT know all the details of that agony in the Garden - what went on or what didn't.

But hey, it's a movie, not the Bible. Artistic leeway is expected to "fill in" the blanks.

4. uhdum

uhdum New Member

I was under the impression that these events occurred because of this momentous occasion in history... the moment when God actually forsook His Son and poured all His righteous wrath onto His Son for mankind's sins... an instant in which God initiated a new covenant Himself by actually doing the unthinkable... dying.

Didn't Paul tell us to keep our focus on the cross? He said that he "preached Christ crucified." Now it is vitally important that we don't keep Him there... we must focus on His victory as the Risen Lord; but I however don't see anything wrong with reflecting on Jesus' suffering for us. Isaiah tells us, "It pleased the Father to crush Him." We then have a responsibility to never forget all that Jesus went through for our sins.

5. Nordic

Nordic Guest

Dr. Bob,

The Bible quite simply is not silent. It only is not explicit.

Hebrews 2:18
    For since He Himself was tempted in that which He has suffered, He is able to come to the aid of those who are tempted.

If we cannot apply this to the whole Passion I do not know how we can apply it. To use the exegesis that you are proposing, where we cannot apply a scripture in another area means that Jesus was really forsaken on the cross rather than just quoting "my God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me".

God Bless

THESSALONIAN