1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ugh...they came to my door this morning.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Scarlett O., Sep 7, 2017.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I prefer the following. They run like the wind, and never return!

私は日本語だけを理解しており、私は宗教家に話しません

I tried it this way, but found one that spoke it clearly!

Ich verstehe nur Japanisch und ich spreche nicht mit Kultisten

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a coupla "kits", one for JWs, one for Mor(m)ons, and a general "kit" for the occasional other cultists which may come by, such as SDAs, etc.

I begin by telling them I'll listen to their words IF THEY GIVE ME EQUAL TIME TO LISTEN TO MINE. otherwise, you should move on. They've always stayed, believing they could persuade me to their beliefs. I'm quite polite, offering them seats, a snack, something to drink, etc.

The JW kit consists of info about their "bible', the New World translation. It tells its origin, that it's a revision of the British RV of 1881, altered by Freddie Franz & George Gangas in 1950 to fit JW doctrine. I remind them they can easily verify that intel at the public library 2 blox doen the street, or by simply Googling it.

It points out the JW altering of John 1:1 to read "the word was *a* god" and challenges them to find that reading in their own Greek Interlinear text, which simply reads "logos theos"

I ask them whom they believe JESUS is. Some have said He's Michael, in which case I immediately point out Psalm 2:7 “I will surely tell of the decree of the Lord: He said to Me, ‘You are My Son, Today I have begotten You.

Heb. 1:5 For to which of the angels did He ever say, “You are My Son, Today I have begotten You”? And again, “I will be a Father to Him And He shall be a Son to Me”?

Heb. 1:13
    But to which of the angels has He ever said, “Sit at My right hand, Until I make Your enemies A footstool for Your feet”?

I then point out the many verses that say Jesus is God, including the story of His baptism. I remind them that the whole Bible is Jesus-centric, that THEIR "bible" is MAN-MADE, and try to present this in a non-challenging way, asking the HOLY SPIRIT to guide my words. I view their visits as a WITNESSING OPPORTUNITY, and if I'm busy when they come by, I'll ask'em to return at a more-convenient time. I always invite them to return, that I'll listen to them, but they hafta give me equal time.

Their visits have become much less-frequent. As for those who hace stopped by, I hope hearing the TRUE Gospel planted a 'seed' in their hearts which the HOLY SPIRIT has made to grow. If not, they'll be without excuse when they face Jesus, as they will have heard the Gospel from God's word, but failed to heed it.

Mor(m)ons? I point out the histories of Joey Smith and Brigand Young, among other things, with the same Gospel presentation as I give the JWs, reminding them they can easily find the same intel I gave them on their "prophets" at various other sources. I've not had any of them visit lately, and never the same ones.

I realize that only the power of the HOLY SPIRIT will reach those people, but it's still my d-u-t-y to present the Gospel to them if possible. Who knows in advance what the HOLY SPIRIT may chooseta do in their lives? (Remember the 180-degree transformation of Paul!)

Now, if we BAPTISTS were as enthusiastic about door-to-door ministry.........

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They consider themselves to be experts and you to be ignorant so they are trained by the Watchtower not to listen to you, Scarlett. The best way to handle them is to treat them like honored guests and then ask them questions and try to get them to explain things to you. I want to ask my friend, who is very bright, to explain to me what Hebrews Chapter One means since he admits that the Watchtower says that Jesus is really the Archangel Michael. I just talk about whatever he wants to talk about. I try to be ready to given an answer and if I get a chance, I give an answer, but a lot of times I just have to ask questions to get his attention. When a person has been in the cults a longtime they can become demon possessed or they can go insane. But Jesus died for every individual human being as we gentiles were all lost in sin and bound for hell. Do you agree?

If you pray with them, pray in the name of Jehovah and make sure that their eyes are closed. Jesus is a friend of sinners.

Luke 7:34 (KJV) The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!

4. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One thing I can tell you is you're not going to "un-blind" somebody.

Most people seem to want to come in the power of their own intellect and either win the day or browbeat an unbeliever into making some decision or reciting some incantation.

Be sensitive to the Holy Spirit and you'll find that there's a difference between winning an argument and making disciples

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How strongly can people be attached to a cult? Every bit as strongly in many ways as we are attached to Jesus! Remember the Bhuddist monks who immolated themselves in the streets of Saigon? There are still videos of that on YouTube. Remember the members of ISIS, Al-Qaeda, or Hamas who blow themselves up?

While JWs or Mor(m)ons may not go THAT far, their attachment to their cult runs just as deep. Don't be disappointed if it seems to you you're presenting the Gospel to a doorknob. It takes the HOLY SPIRIT'S power to break the grip of a cult on its proselytes. I found that out many years ago in trying to "de-program" some "Moonies" of the "Unification Church". (Remember THAT vast cult?)

Our job is to "sow the seed". Let's keep doing that, cuz who knows in advance what the Holy Spirit may do in those peoples' lives?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Better The Lord should send repenting baptized believers. Preach The Word--The Holy Spirit will bear witness in spite of our lack of faith.

I have seen the scales come off the eyes of an Einstein worshiping cosmologist--in a ditch. He was in Church the next day.

Many times the lost sheep are covered with self religious filth. The Blood of the Lamb takes care of that too.

Jesus to His followers: "Why do you call me Lord and do not what I say?"

If we do not answer the call, The Lord will call someone else.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

• Like Like x 1
  7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Asking JW's who is the Spirit of Christ may lead them to see their fake theology. But as we know, some people put more trust in what people have told them than in what the Spirit tells them through scripture.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is not the author of confusion. God's people do not participate in apostasy. This is part of being a witness(martyr) for Jesus.

Freedom of conscience does not equal ecumenism. The religious world is consumed with ecumenism. Now what?

Bro. James

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those without the Spirit have no understanding of spiritual things.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Working through the first five chapters of the Book of Romans exposes everyone to accountability to God, Jesus and real redemption. It is found even in the NWT. Spiritual blindness blocks spiritual discernment. The Holy Spirit bears witness to The Truth. Preach The Word. "Work for the night is coming."

Bro. James

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More fake theology. Those without the indwelling of the Spirit can understand spiritual milk. The people of Matthew 23:13 were entering the kingdom of heaven without being compelled by irresistible grace. Thus they had limited spiritual ability. And so do lost JW's. But we must overcome their fake theology. Talking about the Spirit of Christ might unlock their bogus theology.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We know not how the Spirit works.

When JW's or Mormons come to my door I take it as the LORD sending lost souls my way.

I let them in (conditioned on the request that I may show/tell my beliefs - I have never been refused)
    and when it's my turn gently, gently give them small doses of the truth they so desperately need.
    They usually come back and when they do, I give them more, you never know.

2 Timothy 2
    24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
    25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
    26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

And then pray for them that a ray of light will pierce through the darkness and they will see the Son of God in all His God-man glory.

My scriptural technique:

I ask them "who is Jesus Christ" - they are usually pleased to tell me their view (error of course).

Then in response I like to show them John 1 1-4;14 (for instance)
    John 1
    1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
    2 The same was in the beginning with God.
    3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
    4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
    14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

and./or Hebrews 1 (1-4)

Hebrews 1
    1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
    2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
    3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
    4 Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.

Not much "preaching" just scripture and my insistence at every visit that
    Jesus Christ is almighty eternal God come in the flesh and then commend them to God (if God peradventure will give them repentance)..

HankD

13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can spiritually dead sinners understand what God has statedto us in the Bible?

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you know who is spiritually dead. God may be awakening them. They may still be wrapped in grave clothes.

HankD

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only way that you can get them to listen to you is to ask them a question--they consider themselves experts and do not respect anything you say unless you ask them to 'plain it to you. They will admit that Jesus is the Archangel Michael if you ask them.

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another change the subject post. Why not admit the spiritually dead men of Matthew 23:13 were entering the kingdom of heaven, therefore your fake theology is once again proven to be false. Asking JW's who is the Spirit of Christ may lead them to see their fake theology. But as we know, some people put more trust in what people have told them than in what the Spirit tells them through scripture. Such as men of flesh can understand spiritual milk!

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Genesis 4
    9 And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper?
    10 And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground.
    11 And now art thou cursed from the earth, which hath opened her mouth to receive thy brother's blood from thy hand;
    12 When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength; a fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth.
    13 And Cain said unto the LORD, My punishment is greater than I can bear.
    14 Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me.
    15 And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.
    16 And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.

Did Cain understand God?
    Cain prayed and made a request of God which He granted.

True he went out of the presence of God but he understood full well the consequence and chose it anyway.

HankD

18. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is about JWs and how we deal with them. Any more off topic posts will be deleted without warning.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You may want to reconsider that. There is no indefinite article (a) in Greek. There is only the definite article (the). In the absence of the definite article (the) it is usually correct to assume the indefinite article (a).

However, in the case of John 1:1 another rule of grammar is in play. Even though our English translations all say "and the word was God" that is not how the Greek reads. The Greek reads "and God was the word."

The predicate of that clause (God) is first, or in the emphatic position, and is, therefore, necessarily without the article. (See The Gospel According to St. John, Dr. Brooke Foss Westcott, John Murray, Publisher, London, 1908.) So, as the clause in question accepts the subject of the earlier clauses, it may well be translated "and the word was most emphatically God!"

The interesting part is that the JW Greek text is Westcott's text, and in other places they quote him as the leading authority on Greek. :D

So, the conclusion is that the JWs are right in that there is no article before "God" but they are wrong in assuming the indefinite article is to be supplied. They fail to consider the fact that "God" is in the emphatic position.

• Like Like x 2
  20. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to mention the fact there's only one God, in three Personages. "A god" assumes there's more than one God.

But thanks for the intel. I'll change that in my "kit". (However, 99.9% of JWs can't read Greek anyhow! And not too many of'em know the origin of their "New World Translation.")