1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Under Church Discipline

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The bible states that we are to submit tot he ordained authorities of God, and the local church is under the pastor and Elders God raised up for leadership!

2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see here that he attends church but will not join and has Bible study at his house... I say let him alone until he shows an interest... on the flip side of the coin, we had a visitor, who would come to church and listen to the singing and preaching... Was so moved by each service that he attended, tears would literally roll down his face as we went around shaking hands as our ministers announced the church of the doors were open for membership... We all talked to him but he felt he was so unworthy to be among us... We assured him we were no better than him and urged him to join... He never did... That just boggled my mind... Brother Glen:)

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the prophet Zechariah says that when Gods day comes, there will be no distinction between the sacred and the profane, temple and marketplace. Even the horse bells will be inscribed with the word "sacred"

The Rein of God is not about churchiness at all. It is about everything to do with everything.... in fact, Jesus gives us enough examples. It is the world of house and field, job and marriage, interacting with people where we meet Him (it is the secular where we encounter the Son). Gathering places tend to become their own industry.

#23 Earth Wind and Fire, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why did that confound you? And why didn't you confront him about joining?

#24 Earth Wind and Fire, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  5. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Believe me we did... Why would a man who thoroughly enjoyed church... singing, praying and preaching and was so moved by it, feel he could not be a member?... What kept him out, I don't know... You don't join a church if you're pressured to join it... A secret sin?... Only him and God knows... Brother Glen:)

6. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Without talking to him, I don't know.

He says he has scripture, but I sincerely doubt that, as the NT pretty clearly supports church membership.

Everybody's at a different placein their walk with Christ (assuming he is saved), so I can't really say too much without knowing the whole story.

However, if I were the pastor of the church, I would bring it up with him and I would give him an ultimatum to join or stop attending. It isn't that we want to discourage people from coming, but because he's putting the integrity of the church in jeopardy.

It appears (and, again, I admit that I don't know the whole story) that he just wants the benefits of attending as a visitor without any of the responsibilities of being a member. That's not good for him or the church.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I do not know the entire story myself= If I learn more, will try to let you know.

8. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I draw the line at MAN-MADE rules of worship. I've written before about the P.O.W. (P ants O n W omen) rule of some pentecostals, and the goofy Amish stuff.

I follow rules found in SCRIPTURE, including not doing things which have the appearance of being non-Christian despite their not actually being sinful. For example, if a doctor were to prescribe that I drink a beer a day for kidney health, if I couldn't find an alternative, I'd make every effort to not be seen by anyone drinking a beer or buying any locally.

But if I wanna drink coffee, dance in public with my wife, attend sports events(not by skipping church), etc. I do so with a clear conscience. And i'm highly-suspicious of any church of any denominational affiliation that tries to impose MAN-MADE rules of living on its members, such as no long hair on men, no tattoos, no makeup on women, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you would throw him out!?! Really?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was this a Primitive Baptist Church?

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would you be so secretive about purchasing and drinking a beer(for your health)?

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Somewhere between a SBC and independent

13. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because my conscience tells me Christians don't openly drink alcoholic beverages & I feel it'd be a sin for me to do so.

14. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was the church I grew up in, what other church could it be... You know our ways, maybe we are just to old fashioned plain old religion... Not everyone that comes to a PB church wants to join... Everyone on here that belongs to a particular church had a desire to join that church... If they didn't they would be in another church... To me church is about one thing and one thing only, and that is the reason I go... My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and what he has done for me, and my heart and souls hunger to hear more, of his love, grace and mercy to me an unworthy sinner... Brother Glen:)

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This would be on a case by case basis, as the scriptures indicate to me that alcohol not strictly prohibited, but never should get drunk, or take if violates ones understanding/conviction!

16. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I heard this straight from the individual it happened to at an annual meeting of our churches... This man was having a daily beer per the doctors orders for kidney problems and belonged to a church in Kentucky, but the church was not aware of his action... The deacons of that church one day appeared at his front door and how they got wind of it he never knew... They asked him if what they suspected was true?... He said yes and took them into the kitchen and opened his refrigerator door... It was loaded full of beer... At the same time he presented to them a prescription from his doctor, case closed.
    That was then and this is now... We all know what is in the news Cannabis and the medical use of it... But we all know of its history, in fact some of us back in the day may have had a hit or two... I'm not drawing aspersion on anyone, me personally I never have but that is our culture... How does a church deal with a member that has a little weed?... I'm sure a little weed is a lot more potent than a little beer or is it?... In scripture we find a saying that says take a little wine for thine infirmities sake... Can the same be said for take a little weed?... Maybe you have dealt with this problem already in your churches, or maybe it is at the door... I don't know!... But as members and the ministry leading staff, how will you deal with it when it comes?... Brother Glen:)

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am reminded of the time when i went over to a friend of mine house, as we had plans to go see a game I think that day, and he was mowing his lawn when i arrived, nd before showering, he went and got a cold bear out and drank it. He wondered if that offended me, and I told him that since it was so hot outside, I would have taken one also if I liked the taste of beer!

18. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah when someone ask me if I would like a cold one, I say sure if you have a cold soda or if not a cold glass of water that would be fine... I remember my dad back in the day loved to watch the Friday nights fights on TV... He would always have one cold beer, the only time I ever saw him have one... One time when I was probably ten, I asked him, what does it taste like?... He said garbage!... I said, no it doesn't!... He said you don't believe me take a sip... Curiosity got the best of me... So I did!... YEEEEEACH!... THAT'S NASTY!... See he said... I told you it tasted like GARBAGE... I admit I have quite a belly, but its not from beer... Brother Glen:)

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My father had me one time use the car lighter to light up one of his Cigars, and he told me to take a deep puff on it, and I sucked down and inhaled the junk and nearly vomited, so never again had a cigarette/cigar!

20. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is an old saying... Curiosity killed the cat!... That is true but its also raised havoc on many a childhood... I guess we have an internal desire of the need to know, which sometimes should have been left alone... I'm only saying!... Brother Glen:)