1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Understanding 1 Peter 1:1-2

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Jun 29, 2022.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like peeling an onion, when we delve into this difficult passage, we find layers and layers of possible meanings. Lets have some fun and at least think about all the issues this passage lays before the Bible student. Many of the insights into possible meanings of this passage were derived from a commentary by Karen H. Jobes on 1 Peter.

1 Peter 1:1-2 "Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to chosen expatriates (scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia) according to the foreknown redemption plan of God, by being set apart by the Spirit, to obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with His blood: May grace and peace be yours in the fullest measure.”

As an overview, Peter is addressing folks, chosen aliens, who are scattered locatively, but are united covenantly, with his salutation, May grace and peace be yours in fullest measure.

Peter uses covenant language, pointing to Mount Sinai and Exodus 24, but clarifies that the covenant in view is the New Covenant in the blood of Christ. Peter is Christ’s apostle and refers to himself with the name given him by Jesus.

Just as the Old Testament 12 tribes were scattered locatively and thus not citizens of the places they resided, Christians are citizens of the kingdom of God and are therefore aliens because they have been chosen, hence “chosen aliens” refers to those chosen by God.

Next we encounter phrases, which modify or describe how his audience became chosen aliens. First it was according to the foreknowledge of God – God’s redemption plan was to choose believers for His own possession. Second they became chosen aliens by the sanctifying work of the Spirit. Here “sanctifying work” refers to God setting the person apart – within Christ's spiritual body – rather than the process of sanctification that occurs once a person is placed spiritually in Christ. And third, we have the phrase “to obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with His blood.

This third phrase is where we might go in several directions: were we chosen for the purpose of obedience and sprinkling, or is it an allusion to an Old Covenant illustration? By looking further into 1 Peter, we see that Peter is making the case that we should obey Christ. Rather than leap to the conclusion that obedience is one purpose and sprinkling is a second purpose, lets consider a third possibility, obedience and sprinkling are two words expressing the same idea, as illustrated in the Old Testament.

Lets assume this phrase is alluding to the establishment of the Mosaic Covenant as described in Exodus 24:3-8. There the refugees pledge their obedience (verses 3-7) and then are sprinkled verse 8. Hence the blood of the Covenant is applied to them. Christians are called to pledge their obedience and then the blood of the Covenant is applied to them by the sanctifying work of the Spirit. Thus we are chosen to have the blood of the Covenant applied to us through God’s recognition of our obedience to the call of Christ.

In summary, the encouragement provided by Peter’s first letter is based on the readers understanding that they are aliens suffering difficulty in the world because they were chosen out of the world and made citizens of the kingdom through the New Covenant in His blood.

God Bless

#1 Van, Jun 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  2. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hear this word that the LORD has spoken against you, O children of Israel, against the whole family which I brought up from the land of Egypt, saying: “You only have I known of all the families of the earth; Therefore I will punish you for all your iniquities.”
    Amos 3:1,2 NKJV -----Foreknown?

I say then, has God cast away His people? Certainly not! For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. God has not cast away His people whom He foreknew. Rom 11:1,2 NKJV -----Foreknown?

“Have you not considered what these people have spoken, saying, ‘The two families which the LORD has chosen, He has also cast them off’? Thus they have despised My people, as if they should no more be a nation before them. “Thus says the LORD: ‘If My covenant is not with day and night, and if I have not appointed the ordinances of heaven and earth, ‘then I will cast away the descendants of Jacob and David My servant, so that I will not take any of his descendants to be rulers over the descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. For I will cause their captives to return, and will have mercy on them.’ ” Jeremiah 33:24-26 NKJV

Israel is swallowed up;
    Now they are among the Gentiles
    Like a vessel in which is no pleasure. Hosea 8:8 NKJV

In 4 BC where is the house of Judah, where is the house of Israel? Where are that, today?

“Therefore say to the house of Israel, ‘Thus says the Lord GOD: “I do not do this for your sake, O house of Israel, but for My holy name’s sake, which you have profaned among the nations wherever you went. “And I will sanctify My great name, which has been profaned among the nations, which you have profaned in their midst; and the nations shall know that I am the LORD,” says the Lord GOD, “when I am hallowed in you before their eyes. “For I will take you from among the nations, gather you out of all countries, and bring you into your own land. “Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols. “I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. “I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them. Ezek 36:22-27 NKJV

and there having been much disputing, Peter having risen up said unto them, 'Men, brethren, ye know that from former days, God among us did make choice, through my mouth, for the nations [Gentiles] to hear the word of the good news, and to believe; and the heart-knowing God did bare them testimony, having given to them the Holy Spirit, even as also to us, and did put no difference also between us and them, by [to (dative) the faith, having purified their hearts; Acts 15:7-9 YLT
    V 15 Simeon did declare how at first God did look after to take out of the nations [Gentiles see Hosea 8 & Ezek 36] a people for His name,

Romans 8:23 NKJV Not only that, but we also who have the first-fruit of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body.

Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the choice sojourners of the dispersion [Ezek 36?] of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, according to a foreknowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, [Ezek 36, Acts 15, Rom 8?] to obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace be multiplied! 1 Peter 1:1,2 YLT

James 1:1 YLT James, of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ a servant, to the Twelve Tribes who are in the dispersion: Hail!
    V-18 having counselled, He did beget us with a word of truth, for our being a certain first-fruit of His creatures.

3. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Or

?

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think posts 2 & 3 may be claiming an alternate meaning for foreknowledge from the biblical one. But since no statement was made concerning what these posts supposedly presented, ...

5. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They tell exactly who 1 peter is speaking of, IMHO.