1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Understanding The Protestant /Catholic Divide

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by AustinC, Oct 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "At the heart of the division between Protestants and Catholics is the disagreement over the doctrine of justification. According to Catholic theology, justification is believed to be a lifelong process in which the sinner becomes intrinsically righteous, to the extent that he or she cooperates with grace. On the other side, Protestants assert that this ends up confusing justification with sanctification. Whereas sanctification is a process, justification is a once-for-all declaration of right standing with God that is ultimately rooted in Christ’s perfect righteousness."

Understanding the Protestant / Catholic Divide

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Protestant

Protestant Well-Known Member

RC Sproul and White Horse Inn do not believe as the Protestant Reformers believed. The Reformers wrote voluminous commentaries on the Revelation and 2 Thessalonians 2, proving the Roman Church is Mystery Babylon, her Pope in office, Antichrist. Sproul was a Preterist as, I am sure, Horton is also. Preterism is a Jesuit invention, as is Futurism, exposed and refuted by the Reformers and Puritans. Protestant Baptist Benjamin Keach wrote extensively on the subject. To say justification is the heart of the division between Protestants and Catholics is an absurdly politically correct cover-up as to the true nature of the murdering great whore as detailed in Revelation and born out in Church history.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How much Catholicism is in protestant churches today? It means Antichrist still remains seated in the temple of God doctrinally.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are several things that Catholics, Baptists and Protestants agree! Just because the RCC believes something does not mean it is wrong; granted much of what they believe is wrong. Did you know that the RCC sings during their church service? Does that mean that we a Baptists should not sing? Of course not.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm talking about false doctrines unique to the Catholic Church refuted by the Reformers. But many are blind to the origins of the doctrines they cherish.

7. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    "At the heart of the division between Protestants and Catholics is the disagreement over the doctrine of justification..."

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But that is not how you stated it originally.

9. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    How did I state it? Got a quote?

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You said: "How much Catholicism is in protestant churches today"?

With that statement - I answered: "Just because the RCC believes something does not mean it is wrong; ..."
    then I gave the example that RCC sing in churches - Does that mean that we as Baptists should not sing?

I am more concerned about the practices they continue - such as infant sprinkling.

I would like to mention that just because Scripture does not mention something specifically -
    does not necessarily make it unbiblical. For example RCC normally likes to build it churches in
    the broad sense of in the shape of a cross. The Bible does not require that, and neither does it prohibit.
    Thus that ii a RCC thing - and if our Baptist church decided to do the same - I would see no problem!

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you assumed I was speaking about the Trinity? And other true doctrines of the early centuries? I needed to clarify to you that I was not.

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wasnt assuming anything - as you did not mention any specific doctrine

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess I assumed most people would know I was not talking about the trinity or the ecumenical creeds. Sorry, I'll try to be less condescending in the future. I have several doctrines I can mention but I would like to see if you and others can spot them.

14. Protestant

At the heart of the division is the fact the Roman Catholic Church is no Christian church, but is the false church depicted in the Revelation. This was known and taught for centuries by true Christians whom the RCC labelled 'heretics,' worthy of death.

15. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He did a very good job there

16. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    The topic is the position of justification by faith alone, or justification by faith plus works. Do you have something to say regarding how persons are justified before God?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay - lets now talk about justification and specifically why the RCC is wrong

18. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have learned that I need to ask Catholics what Catholics believe, rather than hearing what Protestants claim Catholics believe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just study the Reformation. Especially Luther's book The Bondage of the Will. That is the best argument between Protestants and Catholics I've found.

20. Protestant

I do, AustinC. The argument over justification is moot when the ‘Church’ in question has been identified and verified as the greatest satanic deception the world has ever known; whose priesthood are homosexual pedophiles; whose powers are such that they allegedly create their Creator through transubstantiation; whose departed ‘saints’ are declared gods to whom prayer is sanctioned; whose leader claims all the offices of Christ; whose mandated idolatry flies in the face of our Lord’s commandment; and whose blood lust required the torture and execution of innocents, both small and great, who dared possess and preach Scriptures which proved the warnings given by the Holy Spirit.

Tragically, today these warnings are dismissed by many ‘pious’ Christians as irrelevant or unnecessary in this enlightened age of ‘Christian’ tolerance and unity.

• Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.