1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Unfinished Business

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Timsings, Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. standingfirminChrist

If I remember correctly, you have told me in the past that you did not drink but saw nothing against drinking in moderation. I was not accusing you of drinking.

I praise the Lord that you do not drink.

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It is wrong for me to drink because of the way the Holy Spirit has lead for all the reasons in the above posts. I will not ever claim to know how the Holy Spirit would guide another Christian's life, or make my standards his or her standards.

Arguments would be a lot stronger and more convincing if some of Brother Bob's ideas were used, such as figures as to how alcohol ruins lives, breaks up families, causes one to get fired from a job, wrecks family budgets, and kills on the highways.

If a lost person would examine the facts, they would abstain also without ever opening the Bible, but that is not the way I was lead to not drink.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

the white you see on grapes is yeast. Fermentation occurs naturally with grapes, and in wine making. Commercial wineries add their own yeast and sugar to be consistant, and get the taste and texture they so desire. It is not NEEDED to make wine, however.

Your link was for rare fruit

#63 webdog, Jan 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2008
  4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I wonder if TimSings has gotten his question answered.

5. Joe

Joe New Member

Actually, that is not true. I just spoke with a man who owns a winery, he is also very active in our Chamber of Commerce. This is his exact wording-

#65 Joe, Jan 7, 2008
  6. Joe

Joe New Member

You don't feel enough information has been presented for him to make a decision?

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

8. Joe

Joe New Member

I trust him, he is known as a man of integrity here. He also worked the vineyards himself for years. There is no doubt, imo, he is truthful. He was also the President of our Chamber of Commerce.
    The SBC offers similar information and MC directors link pretty much coincides with his information. I believe SFIC has also posted links which coincide with this information.

There was not enough time to speak with him right then, but if the moderators allow, and he agrees, I could ask him to post to my account. He is very interested in this discussion, he would probably be willing to answer questions, and probably posesses much higher gramatical skills than myself :laugh:

#68 Joe, Jan 7, 2008
  9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe MacArthurs's view that Bitsy posted is the minority, and not the norm in wine making. I didn't see SBC's...

Winemaking is actually very quite simple (there is a local make it yourself winery a couple miles away), but for someone who owns a winery to say that naturally it is "very rare and very scarce" really doesn't make much sense to me. Bees and insects get drunk off of fermented grapes that become punctured. It is neither rare or scarce naturally...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/110565.stm

10. Joe

Joe New Member

There are probably as many links pro and against what we are discussing. Even approved drugs by the FDA have been recalled due to misinformation (most recent is Vioxx I believe).

It's probably best to go to the horses mouth for accurate information.

Is there anyone who owns a winery where you are? Call them. Maybe a few would be willing to come on board to help us get this straightened out.

I would check out your local Chamber for reputable business owners of wineries, then call them.

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Is that why all the flys and bees have been running into each other? Too much wine??? :laugh:

12. Joe

Joe New Member

I agree with the second part concerning the lost person examining the facts.

Regarding the first portion, I believe there are plenty of facts to prove the known distruction alcohol causes. Drinkers are more likely to be wearing a bulls eye than others.

I have probably been in a bar as many times as I can count on my fingers yet I was arrested once for just having one drink in a bar (can't recall if I drank the whole glass now, likely not because of the taste, my face starts burning up, turning red, and I get a headache quickly).
    This was many years ago, and it's very much a police state now in California.

After closer examination, and being known somewhat in this smaller town, they knew I was not drunk.

#72 Joe, Jan 7, 2008
  13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I'll second that motion!

Ed

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

A thread about wine headed downward??

Naaawwwww!

Ed

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Just curious, have any of you guys or anyone you know of ever experimented with grape juice left out and unrefrigerated? Does it turn to wine? What happens to it? Does it stay juice? :confused:

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Joe, this is an impossibility, FTR.

These threads on wine typically hit rock bottom by at least the middle of page 2, if it takes that long.

In 2 years on the Baptist Board, I have yet to see one fail to reach this depth by the end of page 3.

And with your post, here, this thread is almost at the end of page 6.

And as I type this the thread is on page 8.

And lucky for us, we only have another 20 pages or so to go.

Ergo this conversation just has to be on the way up, by any reasonable standard, for any direction from 'rock bottom', has to be a step in the right direction.

I can only barely envision or imagine what lofty heights this thread will possibly attain.

NOT!

:rolleyes:

Ed

17. standingfirminChrist

If it is left out of the refridgerator, it quickly turns to vinegar.

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

That's what I suspected. How did they preserve the juice 2000 years ago? I haven't ever participated in an alcohol thread and haven't read a whole lot of this one, so forgive me if you have already posted something about it. :)

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

We keep it over for a year sometimes and it has never turned to wine. To the best of my memory it was kept in the podium and not refrigerated. Of course the seal had never been broken.

BBob,

20. Joe

Joe New Member

HA! Then--> :applause: to us

#80 Joe, Jan 7, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.