1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Universalism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mandym, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The thing about this review is that he makes a lot of use of ellipses that could easily take those quotes out of context. Granted, it is difficult to quote large sections of a yet to be published book without running into potential problems with the publisher.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

In all the years I've been reading Challies' blog, I've not found him to take things out of context or be incorrect in his assessment of books. I agree with him theologically and as such, find him to be a very valid source of information on book reviews.

3. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I'm finding multiple reviews now, from credible sources, that Bell is indeed trending toward universalism.

In that, I note that he is not alone. The ever-so-staunch Puritans did likewise. The same group that gave us very strident Calvinists also, after their drift through Arminianism into Pelagianism, gave us the unitarian-universalist "church" (which is not much of a church at all).

Here are a few quotes from a UU site devoted to the history of the UU.
    http://www.uua.org/publications/pamphlets/introductions/151249.shtml

Sadly, I see the rudiments of a similar move within some here on the board, they not really knowing much about the history of the church think that they are on to some "enlightening" and "freeing" theology, but the end is almost always the same -- rebellion against God and an anthropological view of salvation.

4. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Here is another, more detailed review of Bell's book:

http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs...ign=Feed:+between2worlds+(Between+Two+Worlds)

And a link to the article mentioned in the blog above:

http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/kevindeyoung/2011/03/14/rob-bell-love-wins-review/

The evidence is now overwhelmingly conclusive. Rob Bell has turned a corner into heterodoxy. He is no longer "orthodox" in his Christianity. Sad day when a communicator of his level moves so far from the truth that he is called to proclaim.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Kevin DeYoung is another solid, godly man.

6. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

7. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My husband just watched a life talk/interview of Bell at the Ethical Culture Society of NY where there were live questions given to him. He said that the questions were very direct and Bell danced around the questions so completely that he did not answer the question but sounded "smart". Hubby just told me that there's no question in his mind now after seeing this that Bell had "jumped the tracks". He's left orthodoxy.

9. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mojo—your post are very passionate—yet at times confusing. Do you yourself support universalism (b/c honestly that’s the only way love will truly win as some see it) or are you simply defending a pastor/author that you feel is being unjustly accused? While there is certainly nothing wrong with desiring all to be saved—to reach the conclusion that anyone can be saved outside of faith in Jesus Christ is not only biblically problematic—but is pure heresy. Now I’m not accusing you of defending heretical teachings b/c I simply don’t know what your overall objective is---but I would like to know your motive behind these posts. God Bless!

10. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

(Regarding Annihalism...)

Yes, it can be a biblical option, provided its not the JW's view of hell not existing at all.

But there are evangelcals that hold a view that the lost will indeed be consigned to hell, but not eternally. At some point in time they will be annhialated (ceasing to exist)

I believe the very highly respected John Stott held that view.

And those who hold this view dont just dream it up...they support it from the scriptures.

AiC

11. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Quanumfaith...

...and that is in spite of the fact that apologizing will actually bolster their credibilty! Isnt that a strange thing??

12. mandym

mandym New Member

EDITOR'S NOTE: This story is intended to be a brief overview of Rob Bell's "Love Wins." For a more in-depth review, see the links at the end of the story.

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (BP)--Few events in recent memory have caused as much controversy and confusion among evangelicals as the latest book by well-known pastor Rob Bell, who in "Love Wins" denies hell and affirms universalism -- all the while claiming he has done neither.

Bell's Mars Hill Bible Church in Grand Rapids, Mich., is nondenominational, but his books, "Velvet Elvis" among them, are popular among young evangelicals of all denominations and his Nooma videos -- well-produced and thought-provoking -- are used in even the most conservative of churches.

http://www.bpnews.net/BPnews.asp?ID=34843

13. mandym

mandym New Member

Rob Bell: what SBC leaders are saying

Southern Baptist Leaders speak out about the heresies in Rob Bell's new book"

1.Daniel Akin, president of Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary:

2.Page Brooks, assistant professor of theology and Islamic studies, New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary:

3.Jeff Iorg, president of Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary:

4.Albert R. Mohler Jr., president of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary

5.Rustin J. Umstattd, assistant professor of theology at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary:

6.Thomas White, associate professor of theology, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary:

http://www.bpnews.net/BPnews.asp?ID=34844