1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Unlawful to feed homeless!!

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by mima, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Behavior that attracts vagrants.

2. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Nice try, but nobody is not talking about not helping them. We're talking about not encouraging vagrancy or behavior that endangers the safety or quality of life of honest, hard working citizens.

3. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

A nice clean simple answer, but it's not exactly what I was asking, so I will be clearer. What is it, that you diapprove of so much?

I mean I have agreed that if we are talking about people that could work, but CHOOSE not to because they are lazy, then we agree on that, but other than those homeless people, what do you disapprove of, when it comes to people that couldn't help themselves and fell into homelessness?

Jamie

4. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I disaprove of vagrants and their effects on the community. I disapprove of those who attract vagrants.

Jeez, Jamie. This isn't exactly rocket science.

I feel like I'm talking to a wall.

5. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

So, you want to help them by passing laws that state we can't feed them?

How have you helped our local homeless men and women? Directly I mean, not through a church, soup kitchen or food pantry.

How do they, more so, than anyone else, endanger the safety or quality of life of "honest, hard-working" citizens?

Can I ask you a question that is a bit direct. Don't answer it if you think it's out of line... Are you better than them? If so, how so? If Not, then why do you think it's ok for you to climb on your soap box and preach about "Quality of Life" when you have a home to go to and they don't. When you can get a snack and eat whenever you want, and they are lucky to get a meal, and even THAT is being taken away from them given this law.

I am sorry, but this is a hot spot for me because I KNOW first hand that homelessness isn't directly caused by someone being lazy, or on drugs, or whatever. SOMETIMES IT JUST HAPPENS! It happened to me. I was just out of school, and living on my own, my folks were having a hard go of it, and they couldn't help. I lost my job, I couldn't pay rent, or keep up with my bills, and I blinked my eyes twice and I was on a sidewalk with no where to go.

I haven't done drugs, I'm not a drunk, and yet here I am on the streets.

I am sad to know that there are still people, Christians, in the world today that would "Cross the Street, and walk on by..."

Jamie

6. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

And BTW, I never brought down anyones "Quality of Life" unless you count the friends that gave me the leg up I needed!

Jamie

7. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I hope you never have to be faced with ANY situation like anyone of the people living on the streets.

You know, you're right. We are suppose to love our neighbor and do anything we can for them. Not sweep them under a rug to hide them away... No, it's not Rocket Science.. It's just what Jesus told us to do.. Easy enough for some people.

Open your mind some and it won't feel like you're talking to a wall.

Jamie

8. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I won't be.

You're right. We are supposed to help them. However, that doesn't mean that we're to subsidize their bad behavior or to impose them on society where their behavior is a detriment to the community.

The problem isn't on my end.

9. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Well, I guess it just doesn't matter what I say, does it? I've told you many times now that we should help them, but of course you're going to ignore that, aren't you?

You mean other than being a social worker on the streets of Camden, NJ and North Philly for several years, helping to establish two rescue missions serving on their boards, volunteering a total of about fifteen to twenty hours a week doing the books, cooking, etc, being on the board of a third, organizing mentoring programs, serving on staff of a state run organization that helps mentally ill drug addicts off the streets, mentoring children through the Youth Advocacy Program of Camden County?

No, other than those things, I really haven't done much at all.

Actually, churches, soup kitchens, and food pantries are great ways to help the poor. How hypocritical that you would accuse me of not doing anything and then denigrate what I do.

Public urination. Crime. Drugs. Urban blight.

My behavior is certainly better than theirs.

They don't want a home. If they did, they'd get off the streets, get off the drugs and go get a home.

And I resent that you would be so dishonest as to imply that I would do this, when I've explained many times to you know that I do believe we should help the poor.

#29 Mike McK, Jul 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2006
  10. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

No, I am not ignoring what you have said, but passing these types of laws are not the answer.

With ALL that, you should be standing on my side. You should see that these laws are NOT the way to solve this problem.

I agree with you that all of these are great areas of help. But most ANYONE from this board, I would guess could say they "help" using those. I mean I am sure everyone gives an offering to their church, which in turn might help run a food pantry, a soup kitchen ran by the church, or even money that is used to help the homeless. Gieven that, EVERYONE can say they help, that is why I left those out. I was looking for more direct help vers indirect help.

I never said these options were discounted. I just wanted more of an answer.

I was homeless, and I don't fit into any of those... Where do you put me on that list?

Your behavior compared to all homeless people, or just the ones I have agreed with you that could do better, but don't?

WOW! Why didn't they think of that.. Can you share that vision with them. I am sure that would CURE the homeless problem right away! It's not that simple, and you having work in the social work you have done, you know that. Why you would say it as simple as that.. I don't know...

Resent it if you like. I call it as I see it. Since you have never been there, I don't see how you can make blanket statement that ALL vagrants are bad and anything assoicated with them is bad.

Saying we should help and doing is two different things.. With the blanket statements you have made in this thread, I can't see where you would help someone, but rather cross the road.

Sorry if you don't like it. I guess we will have to agree to disagree, because we're both on different ends of this thread..

Jamie

11. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

12. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Could have been a server problem, the story is still there.

Jamie

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Who sung the song, "if loving you is wrong I don't want to be right?" That's what this reminds me of.

14. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That could be Jamie.
    Faithgirl

15. billwald

billwald New Member

send your homeless to Seattle

By the way, King County and Snohomish County in Washington State have pledged to eliminate homelessness in 5 years so feel free to send all your homeless to Seattle where they will feel welcome.

16. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

When you insist that I've said something when I've said precisely the opposite and have explained such to you several times, that means that you're either ignoring what I've said or you're lying outright.

They solve the problem of vagrancy. The also encourage these people to go elsewhere where help is available and not just those subsidizing their bad behavior.

Here are your exact words:

Please, try to focus.

It is that simple. If you don't have a home, then do what you've got to do to get a home.

But you didn't see it. You lied about it. You claimed that you saw it when it's been explained to you several times now that it isn't true.

Actually, that isn't what I said.

I said that vagrancy is bad.

Where you a member of this board two years ago when I made several threads about the homeless family that I took in? You know, the people who lived with me for almost a year and took advantage of me and my family, costing us thousands of dollars?

I'm confident that those who know me know my history and will not be taken in by your lies about me.

I'm confident that God knows my heart and knows my actions and knows that I've never turned anyone away who needed help.

Explain your lies about me when you stand before him.

I'm not the only one. The Bible says that the Lord hates a lying tongue.

If I were you, I'd take care of that before you stand in front of Him.

Now, since you cannot be trusted and since you have nothing more to add but more lies, welcome to my ignore list.

17. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Mike, I am sure I am on your ignore list, and I don't really care one way of the other, it's your choice, but here goes.

I find it quite odd that you would want to start preaching to me about my beliefs with the homeless and this situation, and then turn such an ugly cheek to me. All I have done is stand up for what I believe in, and what you have done is stand up for what you believe in. In my last response to you, I told you we would have to agree to dissagree. It appears that you're not even able to do that. Your choice.

I don't see how disagreeing with you is lying. I said laws of this nature are aimed at greater things, rather than helping them "get the help they need". These laws are passed because people don't like vagrant messing up their "pretty parks" or being in the streets where "normal" people are... How many cities and counties are passing laws and making rules to "force out the vargrants". That is NOT help. That's passing the buck onto the next town/city.

Oh, don't get so self-righteous with me. You need to open your mind and listen and then when all else fails, agree to disagree with people that have a different opinion than yours.

It is not that simple and you know it. That's just another way of passing the buck.. If it's so simple, why do whole familes live on the streets when they would really rather live in a home?

Remember, we're not talking about the people that live on the streets because they WANT to, because they are lazy, and know they can make more money living on the streets. The homeless population isn't made up of entirely these types of people. There are families and people on the streets that DON'T want to be there.

Again, it's called disagreeing, not lying. You would like to make me out as a liar to make your self seem better?!? To make yourself seem more "right"?!?

It would seem that your belief on this situation might steem from the family your hlpes sometime ago, and that has scarded you when it comes to dealing with this type of issue. I feel bad that you were taking advantage of, but that shouldn't give you the right to make blanket statements like you have.

You're giving me advice.. after the way you acted? Hum.. Seems we both might need to talk to the Lord today.

Like I stated eariler. I am not here necessarily to just make friends, new friends are good, but I call it as I see it. I have had heated debates with a bunch of people here on this board, and they know the difference between calling someone a liar to make yourself look good vers people just disagreeing and moving on.

You do what you wish, it's the nice things about this software, but don't think for a minute that I care one way or the other whether I am on your ignore list.

Jamie

18. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

No one has said that it is.

What is lying is your attempt to demonize me by claiming that I've said or done something, or believe something, that I have never done, said, nor believed.

And then, not only do you lie about that, but you continue to lie, even after the truth has been explained to you more than once.

And I have already addressed these things but, of course, lying the way that you do, you'll claim that I have not.

No, trying to demonize someone by spreading untruths about them is lying, not disagreeing.

I haven't made you out to be anything. Your words show that you're a liar.

Actually, I haven't done anything wrong. You're the one who lied about me, not the other way around.

But you didn't see it.

Not only have I never done or said the things you accused me of, but you kept on telling the lie even after it was explained to you that I've never done or said the things you falsely accused me of.

And, again, it has nothing to do with disagreeing with someone. It has to do with spreading lies and untruths about me, even after the truth was explained to you, in an attempt to demonize me.

And I don't care that you don't care.

You're a lying little punk and that's all.

19. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Don't become a liar yourself...

Nice, You don't even know me, this is the first thread we have discussed anything in, and now you think you know me as a little punk?

Nice little Christian guy you are.. You know the advice you gave me above seeking the Lord for my "lying" I would suggest you do that same for your un-Christian attitude!

Jamie