1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Unlimited Atonement

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Correct. They didn't fulfill the one condition of the atonement, which is faith.

Heb 3:19 So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief!

John 3:18 says "Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

Romans 5:18 Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men.

2 Thess 2:10 and in every sort of evil that deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved.

Rom 1:18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. 21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles. 24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator--who is forever praised. Amen

1 Cor. 5:11 Since, then, we know what it is to fear the Lord, we try to persuade men. What we are is plain to God, and I hope it is also plain to your conscience. 12 We are not trying to commend ourselves to you again, but are giving you an opportunity to take pride in us, so that you can answer those who take pride in what is seen rather than in what is in the heart. 13 If we are out of our mind, it is for the sake of God; if we are in our right mind, it is for you. 14 For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. 15 And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again. 16 So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! 18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19 that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. 20 We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God. 21 God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

2. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Foreigners

Leviticus 19:34
    The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Deuteronomy 10:19
    And you are to love those who are foreigners, for you yourselves were foreigners in Egypt.

Exodus 12:
    48 “A foreigner residing among you who wants to celebrate the LORD’s Passover must have all the males in his household circumcised; then he may take part like one born in the land. No uncircumcised male may eat it. 49 The same law applies both to the native-born and to the foreigner residing among you.”
    50 All the Israelites did just what the LORD had commanded Moses and Aaron. 51 And on that very day the LORD brought the Israelites out of Egypt by their divisions.

Romans 2:
    28 A person is not a Jew who is one only outwardly, nor is circumcision merely outward and physical. 29 No, a person is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a person’s praise is not from other people, but from God.

Has not God provided a way by faith for all men not just the Jews from the beginning?

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

When Paul quoted the OT verses that said, "there is none righteous, no, not one, there is none that seeketh God... He was speaking to Jews. Read for yourself.

Rom 2:17 Behold, thou art called a Jew, and restest in the law, and makest thy boast of God,
    18 And knowest his will, and approvest the things that are more excellent, being instructed out of the law;
    19 And art confident that thou thyself art a guide of the blind, a light of them which are in darkness,
    20 An instructor of the foolish, a teacher of babes, which hast the form of knowledge and of the truth in the law.
    21 Thou therefore which teachest another, teachest thou not thyself? thou that preachest a man should not steal, dost thou steal?
    22 Thou that sayest a man should not commit adultery, dost thou commit adultery? thou that abhorrest idols, dost thou commit sacrilege?
    23 Thou that makest thy boast of the law, through breaking the law dishonourest thou God?
    24 For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written.

So, if context rules, Paul was only speaking to the Jews when he said there is none righteous, no, not one, there is none that doeth good etc...

But you Calvinists apply this to all men (and I am not disagreeing with this), but when I and others show you verses such as Isa 53:6 you say the scriptures were speaking to Jews only. It is the height of inconsistency on your part. You pick and choose which verses support your doctrine, and explain away the MANY scriptures that refutes your doctrine.

4. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Thank you Skandelon. !!!

5. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong again.

You quote Rom 2:17-24 after referencing "there is none righteous...," which is Romans 3. Furthermore, you errantly say that Paul is speaking to Jews only in Romans 3.

Look closely at Romans 3:9--What then? Are we Jews​ any better off? No, not at all. For we have already charged that all, both Jews and Greeks, are under sin (emphasis mine)

So, in Romans 3:10 and following, Paul is addressing both Jews and Gentiles.

The Archangel

6. mets65

mets65 New Member

It just sounds like a technicality. However you define it, it's still up to man to come to Christ. He doesn't make that decision for us.

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

Baloney, he is still addressing the same audience which he identified in Romans 2 as Jews.

8. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, you are still wrong...and persistently so. He is also addressing the Gentiles, which we know were part of the church in Rome. You don't even need the Greek to get this right.

Unfortunately, when shown your error, you decide to dig-in you heals and dig your hole deeper.

While I'm not a psychologist or anything...I think your actions may be expressing a much deeper problem.

The Archangel

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

Give me a break, look at the verse you presented as evidence to support your view;

Maybe it is you that should look closely.

10. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    The lack of perspicacity on you part in this matter is, in fact, staggering.

As I've already pointed out, in Romans 3:9, Paul says: Romans 3:9--What then? Are we Jews​ any better off? No, not at all. For we have already charged that all, both Jews and Greeks, are under sin

Notice: He says we have "already charged" that Jews and Greeks are under sin. If Paul has charged that Greeks (Gentiles) are "under sin" then he has already addressed Gentiles.

Not to mention that it is obvious from the entire letter that the Church of Rome consists of both Jews and Gentiles. Since this is a cold, hard fact and since Paul addresses the letter "To all those in Rome who are loved by God and called to be saints," it is crystal clear that he is addressing both Jews and Gentiles. Certainly there are times when he focuses more on one group. But, the letter itself is addressed to both Jews and Greeks, therefore the Greeks are addressed.

The Archangel

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

11. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

:)

I will need to use that line sometime.

:)

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

I agree that Romans 3 is speaking of all men, but I also believe the many verses myself and others have presented concerning the atonement is speaking of all men.

It is you Calvinists that will say things like, "Paul was only speaking to believers" or "Isaiah was only speaking of Jews in Isa 53:6."

You Cals are the ones who constantly brag of scholarship, but it is clear to any unbiased person that you interpret scripture to agree with your doctrine, instead of developing your doctrine from rightly dividing the word.

13. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Hello Winman

Give me your take on this verse.

What is the word world mean?

14. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    Finally, you have dropped your opposition.

As if you are unbiased? That's laughable...that you are claiming yourself to be "unbiased" while the rest of us are not.

Your opinion of yourself in needlessly inflated. Pick up the phone, I think Narcissus is calling.

Actually, none are unbiased; we all bring presuppositions to the text, some more than others.

The Archangel

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

I have not changed my position at all, and if you go back in this thread you would see that.

You may not think me unbiased, but if you knew me you would easily know I do not follow the crowd. I look at your arguments and consider them. I see some truth in Calvinism, but MUCH error. Nobody is 100% wrong, the Catholics teach some truth.

There is so much scripture that shows Christ died for all men, and that God wills that all men be saved that I reject Calvinism.

16. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Winman when it says ......."all be made alive."

What does "all" mean?

17. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Tell me what this means...DRAW ALL MEN

18. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really don't think you read my post. I didn't say you changed your position. I said you dropped your opposition. Not to Calvinism, but to your persistent error that Paul is addressing only Jews in Romans 3.

The word "opposition" does, in fact, mean something quite different from "change your position."

The Archangel

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

This is a false form of argument, in this verse the "all" pertains to those "in Christ".

But in Isaiah 53:6 the "all" pertains to all that have gone astray, and "every one" who has turned to his own way. This means 100% of men, and says the iniquity of 100% of men has been laid on Jesus.

Just because you can find verses where "all" does not pertain to every man, does not mean in all cases the word "all" never applies to all men.

Only a simpleton would fall for an argument like that.

20. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

[QUOTE=Jarthur001;1637671]Tell me what this means...DRAW ALL MEN
    [/QUOTE]

You should already know what this verse means.

But, you asked:

It means that, in Christ's death on the cross, God was reconciling the world, which includes all people, to Himself.

I know, why then isn't the entire world reconciled? Well, actually, they are. Look at the following verse:

They are reconciled, if, as the bible say numerous other places, they have faith and then accept the free gift.

The thing about a gift is, you have to accept it.