1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Unqualified Rhetoric

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Reformed, Jan 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Possible? Sure. I am a finite human being who does not possess perfect knowledge.

Likely? No. You do not know me but at least show me some respect. I did not become a Calvinist overnight. I put a great amount of study and prayer into the election and predestination. Even when my mind was changed I refused to admit it for over two years. My stubborn pride was unwilling to admit I was wrong.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the clarification. As for your last statement - wholeheartedly agree!

3. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I believe it is the only answer that can be given. Unless a voice from heaven speaks directly into one's spirit, how would one know if God was the cause of the opinion formed about any particular theology?

Or maybe it was the Holy Spirit inside you resisting the error you were about to embrace?

I put a great deal of study and prayer into this subject as well, and my conclusions are opposite of your conclusions. Should I say God attributed to the anti-Calvinist position which I have taken through my prayers and studies?

4. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The best any of us can do is to be at peace with our own conscience, unless the belief system we old to is heretical. If you told me that you were convinced that, after study and prayer, you no longer believed in the deity of Christ, then you would be guilty of heresy. There is no appeal to conscience on matters of orthodoxy. But let us say that you, after prayer and study, believe that post-millennialism is your new eschatological position. It certainly is an orthodox position even though it may or may not be the correct position. If you have truly studied the issue, and your conscience is at peace with it, what else can anyone say?

I do not think believe that is the case. I am a stubborn person by nature. I tend to dig in my heels on most issues. Eventually, if proven wrong, I will give in. In the case of my acceptance of Reformed theology I was true to form. I am completely at peace with my theological position. Oh, I still have questions. I still push the envelope in search of increased understanding. As I have said before, none of us possess perfect knowledge. God has not revealed to us the knowledge of all things.

As I alluded to earlier, so long as your position is not heretical (heretical with a BIG "H"*), your conscience must be at peace with what you believe. The both of us can say that God directed us to believe what we believe. I believe God is working in me to perfect me into the image of His Son (Phil. 1:6). As my understanding of scripture increases I attribute that to Him. As soon as I lay hands on it I have taken credit for it myself. I cannot be deceived into thinking that somehow my hands can steady the ark of God (2 Sam. 6).

*By BIG "H" I mean any belief or doctrine that is outside the bounds of orthodoxy, such as: denying the virgin birth, denying the deity of Christ (Arianism), denying justification by faith et al.

5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    steaver;

:confused::confused:

No...you should not say that. Perhaps you have not yet experienced God enabling you to welcome the truth yet Steaver....like here-

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
    12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
    13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
    Clearly this describes Divine enablement:thumbs: see vs 10 Steaver;

But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit....unless God allows you to see truth , you will not see it.

Paul taught it there, Jesus taught it here;
    25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.
    26 Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight

You and DHK mock that this happens....so you will not progress if you scoff at revealed truth.

10 For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:

11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

#25 Iconoclast, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
  6. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    steaver,

Let me add that just because I said your conscience must be at peace with your convictions does not mean that I believe you are right. I obviously believe you are wrong (just like you believe I am wrong).

7. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No...you should not say that. Perhaps you have not yet experienced God enabling you to welcome the truth yet Icon....like here-

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
    12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
    13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
    Clearly this describes Divine enablement:thumbs: see vs 10

But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit....unless God allows you to see truth , you will not see it.

Paul taught it there, Jesus taught it here;
    25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.
    26 Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight

You mock that this happens....so you will not progress if you scoff at revealed truth.

10 For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:

11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

:thumbs:

8. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am onboard with you, and my interactions with SBM which are contained earlier in that thread called SBM out for making the unfair, unbiblical, uncharitable assertion that those who don't grasp or agree with limited atonement, are in an unregenerate state. No Calvinist I know, and I know plenty, holds to such an idea.

Anyone who has been debating SBM has not been debating with a Calvinist, but a caricature of one - a distortion.

9. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like this post.

Many comments here are very disrespectful toward Calvinists, with the assumption that we are idiots. Disagree with my theology, but don't call me stupid for believing it when some of the greatest theologians, living and dead, believe what I do. Calvin, Edwards, and RC Sproul are no mental midgets.

Far from stupid, the Calvinists I know are among the most intelligent Christians I have even come across. On a whole they are thinkers. They have wrestled with these issues and studied thick books, the main one being the Bible. Also, most stories of coming around to Reformed theology include an initial resistance to the doctrines, but when the biblical evidence overwhelmed their/our human reason, they/we had to accept them as true.

Most of the rank and file in your average evangelical church has not thought much about these things as they just parrot the common, "man has freewill" without ever questioning what that even means. I myself did the same for many years.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bub you have not been around here long enough. The snide, belittling, arrogant comments come from cals around here. More times than not when they run out of arguments and have nothing else they just say "God has not given you the wisdom to understand the doctrines of grace yet". Or they will say that you just do not understand.

I will tell you like I do other newbies. Stick around and build some relationships before you draw one sided conclusions. At least then people will think you actually know what your talking about.

11. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Traditionally (at least from the 4th century to the 11th), a heretic was one who did not embrace the classical Christian creeds (Apostles, Nicene, Athanasian, and Chalcedon). Anything accusations of heresy outside of this is a bit much. IMHO

12. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If God does not reveal truth to you, you will never find it, so what you do know of his truth is a gift. For example, how many Roman Catholics have the same bible as you and I do but never "see" the truth of the gospel contained within its pages?

#32 thatbrian, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2015
  13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heresy and a heretic are two different things.

14. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A heretic would be one who believes a heresy. ???

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A heretic is most often used in the context of one who denies fundamentals of the faith.

Heresy is anything not orthodox.

16. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol. I think one of us is being a bit too technical. All is well though.

17. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok then, I know freewill to choose Jesus Christ is true, thus God revealed this to me from the scriptures.....

So repent of your belief that it is not.......

18. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    thatbrian,

I agree with some of what the esteemed Rev. wrote. Do take the time to get to know the folks around here in order to make a more well informed decision on who is who and what they are about. You may just find that those who protest too much are the greatest offenders.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Wherever the spread of Calvinism went from Geneva onward there also went the spread of persecution, just as Calvin enacted in his state-church, executing some, banishing others who did not conform to his creed.

In 1648 in England, the largely Calvinistic Parliament passed an Act making the rejection of Calvinistic baptism punishable by death.

During the Reformation Anabaptists were persecuted not only by the Catholics, but by the Calvinists and the Lutherans because they "re-baptized."
    Calvin believed in baptismal regeneration, a carry over from his Catholicism.

When Calvinism spread to New England in America, Obadiah Holmes was severely beaten by the Puritans in Massachusetts.
    Even in America there was a great persecution by Calvinists against those who believed in free will.

Even the Alliance of Reformed Christians, in their 2000 declaration, do not believe that those who believe in the free will of man should be classified as evangelicals.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20040311190511/www.allreform.co.uk/LonDec2000.htm

20. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As one looks back over history since the creation of the Calvinism doctrine, has this doctrine brought peace and harmony to the body of Christ? Or has it caused great strife and division? The answer should teach us all something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.