1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Unusual Bibles revisited

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Keith M, May 21, 2005.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I have a very unique Bibe. I has no date printed in it, but on the flyleaf is written "to ny darling, 1893." It is KJV, Oxford, printed at the University press in London.
    At the back it has at least 400 pages of variuos helps that range from all the plants, animals, birds, etc. of the Bible, to an index, and a good concordance. Also various "plates" of different MSS and "bust" of individuals such as Caesar (Nero) and others of that time.

The most unique feature of this Bible is that between every page there is another bound page of lined paper meant for the owner to take notes. And yet it is not a loose-leaf Bible. Nor is it overly large compared to todays study Bibles--a little thick but not too big. That doesn't matter; its not the Bible I use everyday anyway [​IMG] .
    DHK

2. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Hey, Jim...

Your understanding is pretty well correct, [​IMG] except for the 20-year waiting period. The actual agreement was for a waiting period of no less than 14 years from the 1885 publication date. That means the ASV could have been published as early as 1899. And as for some of those who posted ASV dates of 1900, it is not at all unusual these days for the New Testament of any given translation to be available before the Old Testament or the entire Bible (ex: HCSB NT was available both in print and online before the entire Bible was published). So I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that there were copies of the ASV NT available before 1901, as any date of 1899 or later would fall within the bounds of the waiting agreement between the English and the American translators. [​IMG]

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ziggy: There should be *no* ASV edition available prior to the 1901 copyrighted edition.

TC: Sorry, but you are wrong. The title page to the New Testament reads as I posted previously with this notation at the bottom of the page: "A.D. 1900." The NT and OT together were published in 1901 but the NT was available in early 1900.

Please check again, Doc, the copyright page in particular, and not the title page.

I have several editions of the ASV 1901, including NT only versions as well as the entire OT+NT. They all agree on the copyright date as being 1901.

While the NT title page on my various copies *does* say that the NT is "Newly Edited by the New Testament Members of the American Revision Comnittee, A.D. 1900, Standard Edition", the page *following* the title page (which contains the copyright information) should say clearly, "From the American Standard Edition of the Revised Bible, Copyright, 1901, by Thomas Nelson & Sons. To insure purity of text."

Although the title page may correctly state that the revision work was completed in 1900, the copyright date (and thus the actual date of publicaton) is clearly 1901.

4. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Hey, DHK, how many of those notes pages do you have filled up? [​IMG]

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Remarkably it is relatively unused--only about half a dozen pages are written on, and that in the most exquisite hand-writing.