1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Update on Trinity

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by nkypastor, Aug 7, 2006.

1. nkypastor

nkypastor New Member

Hello, friends!

Towards the end of last week, I spoke with an associate director of the North Central Association regarding Trinity College of the Bible and Theological Seminary in Newburgh, IN. As a student, I told them I had concerns about the current direction of the school. Among other things, I asked the following:

1. Did Trinity cancel the initial accredidation visit originally scheduled for May 1st of this year?

2. Is it true that a former high-ranking official of the school has filed a 24 page report with the NCA allegeding serious violations and deceptive business practices?

These were the two main questions I had. The associate director responded by telling me that the "Public Disclosure Form" put out by the NCA and available on their website was just that--public information. They were not allowed to really say anything else, but I was told that "we are still working with Trinity regarding their academic programs" and that was pretty much all they could tell us. I got a sense that there was more going on "behind the scenes".

On Friday, after prayer and research, I submitted an application to Liberty Theological Seminary in Lynchburg, VA. I will have to take 18 hours of the 90 hours on campus, but those can be completed with 6, one-week intensive classes. It's hard to leave a wife and two boys (12 weeks and 2 years) for a week at a time, but I have to remember it's going to benefit them as well. Besides that, my wife is very supportive. We also figured that in the summer intensives, her and the kids can come along and join me. I hear there's a lot to do in the Lynchburg area.

Interested in any thoughts on Trinity, and what do you think about Liberty? It's programs are accredidated by both TRACS and SACS.

By the way, Trinity is now bragging about its "study models". Look at it here at: http://www.trinitysem.edu/models.html

I've informed Trinity via letter that I wish to withdraw. I'm expecting they will not want to refund the money for the remaining classes on my current registration. I'll keep you posted.

nkypastor

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trinity Response

nkypastor,

Is there anything that was said on any of the BB threads that helped to push you to that decision?

By-the-by, I am waiting for a contact about teaching for the Liberty DL program(s) in Religion. I have gone through the initial process and am going to be contacted sometime in the next few days Lord willing.

I will either be teaching on the Bachelor's or Master's level. I figure the MAR program, or at least that is what I want to do.

Pray and we'll see!:smilewinkgrin:

sdg!

rd

3. nkypastor

nkypastor New Member

Rhet,

It was really a combination of this and another discussion board. The former official, Dr. John Fyffe, has some interesting comments posted over on Degree Discussion.Com. Also, the concerns that you all have expressed over here at Baptist Board made me realize that I needed to get out while I still had a chance. The fact that the NCA wasn't all that comforting either, didn't help Trinity's case!

I'm really impressed with Liberty's program. Perhaps we'll run across each other! :)

nkypastor

4. UZThD

UZThD New Member

IMO TTS for years engaged in a policy of deceit. I will supply evidence if requested.

TTS asserted unparalled excellence in its programs ,when , in fact, its graduate curricula were much deficit.

TTS claimed world-wide accreditation through Liverpool and later Christchurch which students could buy for additional money. While these fabrications confused many, they bore little relationship to truth.

TTS assured its students of the transferability of its credits and the recognition of its degrees when , in fact, such was not the case.

But I would not say that one could not learn through TTS offerings and neither would I say TTS students or staff are insincere.

Still I have wondered just how in 2000-2001 TTS professors and officials could justify their involvement with Trinity while knowing how far Trinity stretched truth. Does truth matter..or just money?

I have wondered how an institution intended to train in The Truth found falsehood such a help in doing that.

Friends of mine have said that Trinity shows repentance by seeking RA. I guess I would rather that Trinity place on its website and in magazine advertisements a confession such as "For years we duped God's people...sorry"

But my friends tell me that my expectation is unreasonable.

I suppose it is as it might be bad for business.

And business is , at least back then, why it existed.

5. Brice

Brice New Member

There is a ton to do in the Lynchburg area. I was a resident student at Liberty for 3 years and always found something to see. Natural Bridge Poplar etc. are great and UVA is only an hour or so away. God bless and I wish you the best in your pursuit.

6. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberty U.

nkypastor,

Did you see on the other thread where I may be teaching for Liberty in the DL program?

I hope to teach in the MAR program on the grad school level, but may have to start with the BS/BA in Religion.

I do hope to see you and maybe even work with you.

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

7. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Double Post

Sorry to all for the double post of information please forgive.

rd

8. Pastor Robert

Pastor Robert New Member

Fleeing Trinity

I to have decided to not apply at Trinity. I have decided to pursue a Doctoral Degree with Louisiana Baptist University. Although unaccredited i feel they are honest and above board. I wonder what will happen to trinty if they do not get their accrediaiton.

Robert

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Hopefully Trinity will be forced to close as American Bible College and Seminary was forced to do when they lost their accreditation.

Hey, you asked...:wavey:

God bless you in your studies...:praying:

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Great! May God bless you in your studies! :applause:

11. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Question for Pastor Robert?

Pastor Robert,

Good day sir, I hope you are well. I do not remember seeing you post very much on the College/Seminary part of BB?

I was wondering, with all of the DL options for theological education, why you would choose to go the "non-accredited" route?

This is just for my information.

Thank you ahead of time for your response.

sdg!:wavey:

rd

12. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Rhet,
    My prayers are with you.:praying:

13. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks to P O B!

POB,

You know that I need the prayer, and from what I know of you--you need the practice! HA!:laugh:

But may I inquired; to what do I deserve your particular prayers at this particular time? I do appreciate it, but what has prompted such an outpouring of your love?

Thanks for the thoughts!

sdg!

rd